Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man (1951) - Abbott and Costello

Offline metaldams

Next Abbott and Costello film in the queue is ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN, the second of four films where Abbott and Costello meet a monster.  I don’t know what it is when Bud and Lou meet a monster, but the results seem to always be among their better films and meeting The Invisible Man is no exception.  A usual problem with Bud and Lou films is that there are a few standout scenes thrown in at random points in the film amongst a jumbled plot line that peaks with a half baked chase.  In ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN, the plot line, pacing, comedy and peak of the film all follow logically, making sense all the way and getting better and better as the film go on.  Very refreshing to watch.

The main story involves Bud and Lou as detectives being hired by Tommy Harper (Arthur Frank), a boxer who was framed for killing his fight manager by gangsters after he refused to throw a fight.  Escaping from jail, he meets the man that inherited the same serum that made Jack Griffin invisible in the original INVISIBLE MAN film.  Even though the reagent hasn’t yet been worked out to prevent insanity from the invisibility serum, Harper takes it anyway so he can avenge the men who framed him while Bud and Lou protect him.  He comes up with a scheme where Lou pretends to be a boxer and the invisible Harper throws punches, making it appear Lou is throwing the shots.  Then when the frame up happens again because Lou doesn’t throw a fight, an invisible Harper can be in the room and get revenge on those who framed him.  A pretty logical plot that gels throughout the entire film and which all the invisibility effects and comedy revolve around.

As far as the invisibility aspect, great stuff.  I love the way when Tommy Harper initially disappears, his teeth seem to be about the last thing to go, so there is briefly just a pair of teeth there.  Another great bit is when he’s at the table with Bud and Lou and you can see him eating celery.  A very cool trick watching the celery disappear like that.  All the Universal Invisible Man films have really cool effects and it’s fascinating to see Hollywood pull all these tricks off before CGI made anything possible. 

The comedy itself is also great.  As is par for the course, we get some great Lou Costello scare reactions whenever The Invisible Man becomes invisible before his eyes.  There is also this great bit earlier in the film where Lou keeps finding ingenious ways to keep stealing that $500 from Bud.  The hand and pocket trick variations are really fun to watch and expertly performed, a real testament to how well Bud and Lou work together.  Reminds me of Stan and Ollie whenever they do a hat switch routine.  Watching a drunk Bud recite Shakespeare is also always fun to watch.  The coup de grace is the boxing match towards the end of the film.  First off, it’s great that for once the film ends with the peak material and this boxing match is definitely the highlight of the film and one of the great Abbott and Costello extended physical comedy scenes in general.  Real funny stuff and milked brilliantly.  After a great dramatic finale with the fight in the dressing room, the film ends hysterically when Lou and Tommy Harper do a blood transfusion.  Lou, getting Tommy’s blood, becomes invisible for a while, so we get to see him hit on unsuspecting nurses and run around (invisibly) naked and panicking as his legs become backwards.  A great end to one of the all time classic Bud and Lou films.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

A great review of a great film!  In terms of solid plot, this one betters "Meet Frankenstein" (Whose plot actually has some pretty massive holes!) in my opinion!

I consider ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN (1951) to be the second best of "The Invisible Man/Woman" franchise.  What a shame Bud & Lou would soon begin to fall victim to the drastic budget cuts that many cinematic comedy series would suffer as television began to eat more and more into their box office revenue.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

A great review of a great film!  In terms of solid plot, this one betters "Meet Frankenstein" (Whose plot actually has some pretty massive holes!) in my opinion!

I consider ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET THE INVISIBLE MAN (1951) to be the second best of "The Invisible Man/Woman" franchise.  What a shame Bud & Lou would soon begin to fall victim to the drastic budget cuts that many cinematic comedy series would suffer as television began to eat more and more into their box office revenue.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Good to hear from you, Tony.  I consider this film the second best of the series as well though The Invisible Man series as a whole is my least favorite series....still like it, though.

But yeah, plot wise, easily one of the better Bud and Lou films, and quite funny too.  Any plot holes in Meet Frankenstein have gone over my head, I’m just too much an unabashed fan boy for so many elements done well in that film I’ll look over any flaw.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Good to hear from you, Tony.  I consider this film the second best of the series as well though The Invisible Man series as a whole is my least favorite series....still like it, though.

But yeah, plot wise, easily one of the better Bud and Lou films, and quite funny too.  Any plot holes in Meet Frankenstein have gone over my head, I’m just too much an unabashed fan boy for so many elements done well in that film I’ll look over any flaw.
ABBOTT & COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948) is simply a far too iconic piece that works so well on so many levels that any plot holes are easily overlooked and ultimately don't diminish its endlessly satisfying cinematic experience!

For me, I think it's The Mummy series that I find the least satisfying, although I've never really viewed The Creature films, which I don't really count as Classic Universal Horror (1950s Sci-Fi is probably a more accurate descriptor!), anyway.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The mummy series and the Invisible Man are at the bottom of my list, too as far as comparing those 2 to "The Big Three," from Universal, but when it comes to "Fun factor", there's just some kind of charm to the mummy series for me. I've even gotten to the point where I think The Mummy's Curse is a good one, if for nothing else, Virginia Christine's scene rising out of the bog.

Anyways, this is a definite step up for me, after being woefully disappointed by Meet Dr. Jekyll. The straight leads are nothing too impressive--I might compare the Invisible Man of this film to Jon Hall; competent enough, but no one to draw in the masses or build a franchise around. Good thing there's 2 comedians named Bud and Lou in this movie to jack up the entertainment value.

Put the money there & leave it there, the boxing match & the implied "Not so boyish" antics of Lou groping nurses in a crowded elevator while Bud gets blamed for being a masher are quite hysterical. Solid movie all around just for Bud and Lou...

7/10....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.