Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Buster Keaton - The Cameraman - Blu Ray/DVD - Criterion collection - 6/16/20

Offline metaldams

https://www.criterion.com/films/29011-the-cameraman

As a bonus is SPITE MARRIAGE.  Extra commentaries and documentaries, the whole kit n kaboodle.  Criterion usually releases very classy collections, should be good.  THE CAMERAMAN is a stone cold classic.  Most likely will be an upgrade from the old Warner Brother collection, which in itself is quite good.

https://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,5907.0.html

The Cameraman

https://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,5910.0.html

Spite Marriage

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

One hopes "The Cameraman" will have a better score than previous video editions. Timothy Brock is definitely a step in the right direction.

Offline falsealarms

I'm looking forward to this. Criterion does things the right way, and I've never seen either Keaton film on here. While I've seen just about all of his shorts, there's several features I have not seen. The extras look good as well, especially looking forward to the interview with James Neibaur  and the Time Travelers doc.

Offline falsealarms

If you weren't already looking forward to this, you will be after this early review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film9/blu-ray_review_123/the_cameraman_blu-ray.htm

This is one helluva package with the two features - both with commentaries and a host of other supplements. The Cameraman is another of the thrilling and enjoyable Buster Keaton comedies. Since The Cameraman has been mostly missing in complete form, this 4K restoration is a revelation to his fans. The Criterion Blu-ray is warmly recommended to that group of Keaton-devout Silent-Era aficionados!

Offline falsealarms

Glowing review from blu-ray.com

The Cameraman is Buster Keaton's last great film. After its completion Keaton basically lost his creative freedom and with it the ability to excite as he did in the past. Some people will likely disagree with me, but I think that The Cameraman is as charming and romantic as Charlie Chaplin's City Lights, which is one of cinema's greatest masterpieces. Criterion's new release is sourced from an excellent 4K master and comes with a really, really good selection of bonus features, one of which is a new 4K restoration of Karl Malkames' documentary The Motion Picture Camera. Do not miss it. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Cameraman-Blu-ray/247587/#Review

Offline falsealarms

I had a chance to watch THE CAMERAMAN for the first time tonight. The Blu-Ray is a stunning presentation of a terrific film. A lot of loving care clearly went into this 4K restoration and anyone who sees it should be thrilled with the video quality.

The score is equally magnificent, not an off note in the whole film. Everything fits right with what you're watching. There's tons of great location work, some of which is explored in greater depth in the informative Time Travelers extra on the disc with John Bengston and Marc Wanamaker.

Marceline Day was great as the leading lady. There was a sweet chemistry with Keaton. Day's sound era career didn't amount to much and she was done with films by the mid 1930s. According to Wikipedia, "After her retirement, Day rarely spoke of her years as an actress and never spoke to reporters or granted interviews."

Vernon Dent turns up briefly up in the film. Harry Gribbon, who would later work with Shemp in some Vitaphone shorts, has a nice turn as a cop who has some fun scenes with Keaton.

There's some usual great Keaton stunts, including one during a fight scene towards the end that's breathtaking.

This is without question one of the best silent films I've seen. I don't want to divulge too many plot points for anyone else who hasn't seen it but anyone seeing it for the first time or not is in for a real treat.

Offline falsealarms

I watched SPITE MARRIAGE today, also for the first time. I didn't go in with the greatest expectations but was pleasantly surprised. It's not as good as THE CAMERAMAN but it's a pretty fun film in its own right. The 2K restoration is also a clear step down from THE CAMERAMAN but still likely far better than it has ever looked on home video before. Some of the highlights were Buster getting involved in the stage production, and the nightclub scene was a lot of fun too. The last 15 minutes or so of the film had a good amount of energy and the ending was pretty cute. Keaton and leading lady Dorothy Sebastian would be reunited five years later in the Educational short ALLEZ-OOP.

Offline metaldams

Am I  the only one here who has picked this up?

No, I have too.  Watched THE CAMERAMAN and haven’t yet watched SPITE MARRIAGE on the new set, but the former looks great and I already reviewed this film, so check the link the opening post for my thoughts.  Glad you enjoyed THE CAMERAMAN, it really is a classic movie.
- Doug Sarnecky