Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Soup to Nuts (1930) - Ted Healy, Charles Winninger, Three Stooges

Offline metaldams

SOUP TO NUTS is, for all intents and purposes, the beginning of the film concept of two Howards and a Fine teaming together and making comedy.  At this point in time, Shemp is the third Stooge and yes, the boys are still with Ted Healy.  It is actually Healy along with Charles Winninger (the actor who plays Otto) who receive top billing in what very much feels like an ensemble piece.  The film was written by Rube Goldberg, known less for comic characterization and more so for cartoonish comic inventions.  Indeed, that complicated burglar catching device has his stamp written all over it and is a pleasant addition to the film.

The main reason SOUP TO NUTS is watched today is Moe, Larry and Shemp.  They get one great scene in the beginning of the film singing a complete version of “You’ll Never Know Just What Tears Are” in beautiful three part harmony.  Ted Healy and Freddie Sanborn try to position them so they can drop a sand bag on the Stooges’ heads, but end up missing each time, Sanborn getting the sand bag in the end.  A wonderful scene that’s both comic and shows a young Moe, Larry and Shemp singing together.  Until the final third of the film, there’s not much more of the boys on screen other than the scene on the fire truck with their girls - who are not the real life Stooge wives in spite of years of rumors.  Towards the end of the film, the boys get to do some stage work with Healy at the fireman’s costume event and this is where we get the magic.  The guessing the number bit is good fun and I always have been a big fan of Larry’s “elevator” dance.  Moe and Shemp also exchange some slaps and this shows two things.  1.) This early on, the famous team dynamic of Moe being the leader is not yet established and 2.) they had a ton of youthful energy in 1930.  Those slaps being delivered were pretty hardcore.  The boys also play a big part in the finale putting out a fire and do a nice job.  I especially like it when Larry is declared dead and when he comes too, Moe admonishes him for making a fool of the doctor.  Ironically, this would probably be the highest budgeted comic finale the boys would ever be involved in.  Whether it is or isn’t, it sure looks it.

As for Ted Healy, SOUP TO NUTS validates for me what I thought might be true watching the MGM films - he is a better George Burns type straight man than a Bud Abbott one.  Being the latter, he is too abrasive and that chemistry doesn’t work with The Three Stooges.  However, team him with a woman who is more obnoxious than he is and the chemistry works.  At MGM, Bonnie really didn’t have the talent to pull it off, but prohibition era cutie Frances McCoy, who plays Ted’s girlfriend, works wonders with Healy.  She really is one of the highlights of SOUP TO NUTS, loud, gossipy, overly excited and like I said, cute.  She adds a lot of energy.  Ted Healy also knows when to stand back and watch the boys do their thing and when to interject, which didn’t happen much at MGM.  Again, makes me wonder if MGM is again the culprit of not knowing what to do with comics.  Healy is much better here.

I should also mention Healy’s other Stooge, Freddie Sanborn.  He is his own act, separate from Moe, Larry and Shemp.  A silent type in the mold of Harpo, he even plays the xylophone instead of the harp.  I almost don’t know what to say about the guy other than he lacks the pantomime skills of Harpo, yet he plays a decent surreal bit of comic relief who can make a facial expression to the audience when Healy shoots him away and always manages to get left behind everyone else.  Sanborn’s character may be homosexual as well, as he reacts excitedly when the leading man kisses him in the knight’s outfit.  I always found that bit funny.  Chalk that up as a pre code moment.

The rest of the film has a couple of immigrants trying to run their businesses which I find fascinating and yes, this is post Ellis Island early depression era - so a bit of a window into America at the time.  I like it when they share the son in law’s booze together.  The romantic couple is by far the most annoying thing in this film, but they fortunately don’t take up too much time.  As an aside, old Sennett and Chaplin actor Mack Swain gets a role as the customer who orders the water and Roscoe Ates, who would later team with Shemp at Vitaphone, gets to do his stuttering routine late in the film.  Great to see both of them.

Overall, SOUP TO NUTS is not a full blown Stooge film, but it is of historical interest and does have some really nice early Stooge moments.  Beyond that, SOUP TO NUTS is not a classic, but to anybody who enjoys real early talkies and wants a nice piece of entertainment, SOUP TO NUTS will work fine.  For Stooges fans who don’t care about such things, this is one I’d imagine would be visited less often.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Offline Umbrella Sam

It’s especially important to note that the writer of this film was Rube Goldberg, the famous cartoonist and inventor, because while creating comic inventions may have been one of his strong suits, writing an interesting movie plot wasn’t.

The plot is extremely generic: guy has to take over an inventor’s business when he goes bankrupt, he falls in love with the inventor’s daughter, she doesn’t want anything to do with him. Very predictable stuff, but Goldberg does at least make it stand out a little by having a Goldberg-style invention play a semi-prominent role.

I have to disagree about Healy here; frankly, I still don’t think he himself is particularly funny here. I think his character might be part of it; he just never feels like he has any real reason to be there. Part of this could be blamed on Goldberg, because the fact that he likes to hang out at this random fire station just feels forced; honestly, I think it might have been more interesting had the focus been more on the fire station and letting us see why he hung around there so much. It not only would have been a better showcase for the Stooges’ comedy, but it also may have even provided an interesting look into the relationship between Healy and the Stooges and how that would have translated to a feature film.

The Stooges are good, although very prototypical personality-wise. They perform gags they’d later do like the “make a fool out of the doctor” gag or the sandbag gag, but they’re all still done well here and it is interesting to see them doing it in a more loose way; it didn’t just have to depend on what fit Moe’s personality or Shemp or Larry’s personalities; they’re all just being Stooges...and as long as they have good material, that’s fine, because this early on they were capable of doing that even without a proper focus. Probably my favorite part is when they’re performing at the fireman’s ball. Like PLANE NUTS, it seems like a good representation of their vaudeville act. I especially love the elevator dance gag; that one had me laughing a long time.

The other Stooge, Freddie Sanborn, isn’t necessarily bad, but the fact that he is such a noticeably separate act from the other Stooges is just so distracting. I’d have to check again to be sure, but the only moment I recall actually seeing all four Stooges on camera together was shortly after Sanborn caught up with the fire truck the first time it took off. It just feels so odd to give one comic foil to Healy so much individual screen time but not the others; it’s kind of like just watching Harpo for most of the film and then sticking Groucho, Chico, and Zeppo in an office together trying to take advantage of the little screen time they may get. Again, Sanborn isn’t really bad...I do like his xylophone style as well as his funny way of moving around...but I just don’t think he was incorporated very well into the story.

To the movie’s credit, there are actually a few funny scenes that don’t involve the Stooges. I really like the scene with the revolutionaries and how they turn out to be such cowards after being built up to be the exact opposite of that. I also really like that quick gag at the end of the Goldberg device flinging out firemen. I had to pause that one because I was laughing too hard.

So, overall, a film that’s filled with decent comedy throughout, but the main storyline is just so generic that it can be pretty tedious to sit through while waiting for the funny moments. Not bad and definitely an interesting insight into the Stooges’ early career with Shemp, but it would have very little going for it if it didn’t have them in it.

6 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Great comparison to PLANE NUTS concerning the fireman’s ball scene.  You’re right, the two do compare, as I get a feeling it’s truly what they were like with Ted in their natural stage element.  Those scenes feel more organic than anything else, that’s for sure.

As far as the “elevator dance,” the first time I saw this was almost twenty years ago in AMC.  I laughed hard at the “elevator dance” then.  Haven’t seen the film in years, bought the DVD a few years back - which was defective.  Had to depend on the link provided to review this film.  It’s been such a journey to revisit this, yet I still remembered that “elevator dance” in spite of it all.
- Doug Sarnecky

This is the first time I've seen this in its entirety, and it's fine, and without the stooges it would be of no interest at all.  It sure is loony.  I'm a fan of Rube Goldberg's comics, yet despite the ludicrous inventions the originals depict, their humor is actually much more sly and subtle than what emerges here.  It appears that this one aimed more to be a Laff Riot,  and as such it's not bad, everyone seems to be on the same page, anyway.  The editing is choppy, but that's early talkies. 
     The best thing is that the stooges are the stooges, not classic yet but for sure themselves.  Moe is kind of a cipher until the finale, when he becomes his bossy self.  I love their singing, I've got to learn You'll Never Know Just What Tears Are now that I hear it all the way through.  Freddie is kind of amusing, but in no way is he a stooge.  Healy is Lead Comic, and does a good job, he carries a respectable load all through, and it's a good question, never answered, why he likes to hang around the firehouse.  He is a bit rough on his girlfriend, too, knowing what we know about him now.  On the whole I enjoyed this - I've seen much worse movie debuts than this.

Offline metaldams

This is the first time I've seen this in its entirety, and it's fine, and without the stooges it would be of no interest at all.  It sure is loony.  I'm a fan of Rube Goldberg's comics, yet despite the ludicrous inventions the originals depict, their humor is actually much more sly and subtle than what emerges here.  It appears that this one aimed more to be a Laff Riot,  and as such it's not bad, everyone seems to be on the same page, anyway.  The editing is choppy, but that's early talkies. 
     The best thing is that the stooges are the stooges, not classic yet but for sure themselves.  Moe is kind of a cipher until the finale, when he becomes his bossy self.  I love their singing, I've got to learn You'll Never Know Just What Tears Are now that I hear it all the way through.  Freddie is kind of amusing, but in no way is he a stooge.  Healy is Lead Comic, and does a good job, he carries a respectable load all through, and it's a good question, never answered, why he likes to hang around the firehouse.  He is a bit rough on his girlfriend, too, knowing what we know about him now.  On the whole I enjoyed this - I've seen much worse movie debuts than this.

I never, on purpose, delved into Ted Healy’s personal stuff beyond what I can’t avoid - same with Thelma Todd on a similar note, but if he was abusive in real life, a shame.  As far as this movie goes, I think having a girlfriend who can basically give it back makes it entertaining in a comic sense.  Frances McCoy really is fantastic here, I wish she was in more films I am familiar with.  Not bad to look at either, as the three bearded gentlemen in the film will agree.

You’re correct about the Moe we all know and love finally showing up in the last reel.
- Doug Sarnecky

Let's say he was a bully, at least to his employees.  But I agree that he and the girl are good together, and she dishes it out as well as she takes it.  But he does shove her around pretty hard, literally.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

No lost masterpiece, but worth a look for historical purposes. What's amazing about "Soup to Nuts" is the excellent print quality — especially for an early Fox talkie. Sadly, most of the pre-1932 Fox films were lost in a 1937 vault fire. Somehow, "Soup to Nuts" survived in pristine condition, which is more impressive than the overall feature.

Moe, Larry and Shemp provide the best moments — though embryonic, the Stooge magic is definitely there.  I agree that Ted Healy was less abrasive compared to the MGM shorts, but his unlikable presence explains why he never starred in another feature-length film. The grotesque Freddie Sanborn (an acquired taste I never acquired) brings nothing to the party.

It's not surprising that Fox wanted to sign Howard, Fine and Howard to a seven-year contract while showing no interest in Healy.  If Ted hadn't sabotaged the deal, Stooge history would have been markedly different.

Watching "Soup to Nuts" for the first time, I kept hoping the Stooges would throw Healy off the fire engine. No such luck. 

Billy Barty shows up at the 41:15 mark.

5/10

BTW, Charles Winneger was a big star of that day, having created the part of Cap'n Andy in the smash Broadway musical Show Boat.  One gets the feeling he'd be a lot more comfortable here if he wasn't saddled with that shtoopid Cherman aggcent.

Offline Mark The Shark

IIRC I remember reading (I think in the Three Stooges Journal) that the movie was "ghost written" for Rube Goldberg and that Lou Breslow was the actual writer. Can anyone verify that one way or another?

Offline Dr. Mabuse

IIRC I remember reading (I think in the Three Stooges Journal) that the movie was "ghost written" for Rube Goldberg and that Lou Breslow was the actual writer. Can anyone verify that one way or another?

Lou Breslow's contribution has been verified by several film historians (he also scripted Laurel and Hardy's first two Fox productions). Interestingly enough, the actual film is titled "Rube Goldberg's Soup to Nuts."
« Last Edit: March 31, 2024, 01:00:19 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline stoogesfan06

Little did the people that went to the theater back in 1930 realize, they were seeing the birth of legends on screen