Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

HUGE Laurel & Hardy home video news

Offline falsealarms

A major Laurel & Hardy home video release (Blu-Ray/DVD) is set for a June 16 release. Look for an Amazon pre-order in the coming weeks.

This is from Richard Bann on Facebook...

Restorations by Jeff Joseph/SabuCat in conjunction with the UCLA Film & Television Archive and the Library of Congress. Using careful photochemical and digital techniques, these classic films are restored to pristine condition. In these stunning new transfers, they look and sound as beautiful as they did when they were first released.

STAN AND OLLIE LOOK AND SOUND BETTER THAN EVER! New 2K and 4K digital restorations from original 35mm nitrate, Laurel and Hardy's classic comedies are here in the best quality since their first release! Two features and 17 shorts, including the legendary pie-fight silent film "The Battle of the Century," making its video debut and nearly complete for the first time in over 90 years!

Bonus Materials:

Commentaries by Randy Skretvedt and Richard W. Bann
Never before seen video interviews as well as audio interviews with L&H co-workers
Over 2,500 rare photos, posters, scripts and studio files
Alternate Soundtracks
Music Tracks
"Ship's Reporter" Oliver Hardy Interview (restored)
"That's That" (restored/first time on video)
"Tree in a Test Tube" (restored from 16mm Kodachrome)
L&H off-camera pix from Hardy's collection
Restored Trailers

Feature Films:

Sons of the Desert
Way Out West

Short Subjects:

Berth Marks
The Battle of the Century (with new music track by Donald Sosin; virtually complete and restored)
Brats
Busy Bodies
The Chimp
Come Clean
County Hospital
Helpmates
Hog Wild
Me and My Pal
Midnight Patrol
The Music Box
One Good Turn
Scram!
Their First Mistake
Towed in a Hole
Twice Two

Offline falsealarms

More details from Randy Skretvedt:

Here are the contents of the DVD edition of LAUREL & HARDY: THE DEFINITIVE RESTORATIONS. The official release date is June 16, 2020 (the 130th anniversary of Stan Laurel’s birth); pre-order will be available on Amazon in May.

All of the material on the six disc DVD edition is included in the four disc Blu-ray version, in different configurations. These will be region-free.

Presented by Kit Parker Films, The Sprocket Vault and Cinedigm.

All films -- including the interview films, the trailers and the audio interviews -- have optional English subtitles. The theatrical films (including The Tree in a Test Tube and That’s That) have optional commentaries by Richard W. Bann (for The Battle of the Century and The Music Box) and by Randy Skretvedt (all others).

Film preservation by Richard W. Bann, The UCLA Film & Television Archive, The Library of Congress

Digital restorations produced by Jeff Joseph/SabuCat and performed by Thad Komorowski/Cineaste Restoration. A.R.T. by Point 360. Final Conforming and Clean Up by The Finishing Touch.

Laboratory Services: The Stanford Theatre Film Laboratory, UCLA Film & Television Archive, Audio Mechanics, Simon Daniel Sound, DJ Audio, Inc., Deluxe Entertainment Services Group, Roundabout Entertainment, Inc., FotoKem, Pacific Title & Art Studio, Film & Video Transfers, Chace Audio, YCM Laboratories, The Cinemalab.

Funding provided by Laurel & Hardy Preservation Fund, Sons of the Desert Tents, Jeff Joseph/SabuCat, The George Lucas Family Foundation, The Film Foundation, The Packard Humanities Institute, Friends and Family of Ron Isroelit, The Stanford Theatre Foundation, The Winklevoss Foundation, The Carl David Memorial Fund for Film Preservation, Turner Classic Movies, Tom Luddy, Gary Meyer, Julie Huntsinger.

Special thanks to Richard W. Bann, Ray Faiola, David Gerstein, Jon C. Mirsalis, Sonar Entertainment, Paramount Pictures Archives, Michael J. Sheridan, Lou Sabini, Ralph Celentano, Les Perkins, Gary Lacher, Steve Slocum, Mike Mashon/The Library of Congress, RHI Entertainment LLC, The Museum of Modern Art, Katie Trainor, The British Film Institute, Nigel Algar, Katrina Stokes.

Disc 1
Feature:
Sons of the Desert, preserved by UCLA Film and Television Archive
Short:
The Battle of the Century, presented nearly complete with original amber tint and a new score by Donald Sosin.

Photo Galleries:
Sons of the Desert Publicity Portraits • Scene Stills • Deleted and Candids • Posters and Publicity • Early Script • Dialogue Continuity • Contracts and Documents
Battle of the Century (including Press Sheet and publicity material)
Early Career: Stan
Early Career: Babe

Anita Garvin Interview film from October 1981 (in color)
Sons of the Desert trailer (in Spanish)

Disc 2
Shorts:
Berth Marks, with original 1929 soundtrack and 1936 reissue soundtrack
Brats, with original 1930 soundtrack and 1937 reissue soundtrack
Hog Wild (from full aperture 1:33 source)

Photo Galleries for Berth Marks, Brats, and Hog Wild including production stills, press sheet articles, music cue sheets, poster and lobby card art.

Audio Interview excerpts from Randy Skretvedt (accompanied with photo galleries):
Billy Bletcher, actor
Hal Roach, producer
Anita Garvin Stanley, actress
George Marshall, director
Roy Seawright, special effects designer
Venice Lloyd, widow of cameraman Art Lloyd
Richard Currier, film editor
Bert Jordan, film editor
Walter Woolf King, actor
Lucille Hardy Price, Babe’s widow
Marvin Hatley, musical director (including performances of “Ku-Ku,” “Honolulu Baby,” and “Will You Be My Lovey-Dovey?”)

Disc 3
Shorts:
Come Clean
One Good Turn
Helpmates
The Music Box

Photo Galleries:
Come Clean • One Good Turn • Helpmates • The Music Box (including production and candid stills, press sheet articles, poster and lobby card artwork, call sheets and production reports, music cue sheets) • A Short History of the Hal Roach Studios • Supporting Players • Crew Members • Studio Hijinks

Trailers for Beau Hunks and Pack Up Your Troubles

Disc 4
Shorts:
The Chimp
County Hospital
Scram!
Their First Mistake

Photo Galleries:
The Chimp • County Hospital • Scram! • Their First Mistake (including production and candid stills, press sheet articles, poster and lobby card artwork, call sheets and production reports, music cue sheets) • Snapshots from the 1932 UK Vacation • Babe Hardy’s Vim Comedies Scrapbook • L&H with Hollywood Friends

Joe Rock Interview and Roy Seawright Interview (both filmed by Randy Skretvedt, October 1981; in color)
Ship’s Reporter interview with Babe Hardy, June 10, 1950

Disc 5
Shorts:
Towed in a Hole
Twice Two
Me and My Pal
The Midnight Patrol
Busy Bodies

Photo Galleries:
Towed in a Hole • Twice Two • Me and My Pal • The Midnight Patrol • Busy Bodies (including production and candid stills, press sheet articles, poster and lobby card artwork, call sheets and production reports, music cue sheets) • Catalina, July 1934 • Portraits in Costume • Portraits out of Costume • Laurel & Hardy and Golf • Special Occasions • Odd Publicity Shots

Original trailers for Babes in Toyland (1934), The Flying Deuces (1939), A Chump at Oxford (1940), Saps at Sea (1940)

Disc 6
Feature:
Way Out West

Shorts:
That’s That
The Tree in a Test Tube

Photo Galleries:
Way Out West: Portrait Stills • Scene Stills • Candid Stills • Pressbook Articles and Artwork • Poster and Lobby Card Artwork • Original 1913 Sheet Music • Script and Synopsis • Dialogue Continuity, Music Cues, etc.
That’s That • The Tree in a Test Tube • Stan in Retirement

Offline falsealarms

The DVD pre-order is now $42.99.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084P2JDJ1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would strongly recommend the Blu-Ray for these restorations if people have a Blu-Ray player. It will make these restorations shine that much brighter.

Offline falsealarms

The difference in these restorations is striking.

Take a look:

Scott MacQueen, Head of Preservation at UCLA Film & Television Archive, discusses the need to save the films of Laurel and Hardy.

Discovering Lost Laurel and Hardy Film "Battle of the Century" -- Jon Mirsalis Interview Segment

Offline metaldams

The difference in these restorations is striking.

Take a look:

Scott MacQueen, Head of Preservation at UCLA Film & Television Archive, discusses the need to save the films of Laurel and Hardy.

Discovering Lost Laurel and Hardy Film "Battle of the Century" -- Jon Mirsalis Interview Segment

I checked out the HOG WILD one and noticed the film is cropped on the DVD version as you can see more to the left on the restoration.  I just placed my preorder.  I hope more films get restored, including the silents, but this set looks good and I’m thankful.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

Maybe my memory in middle age has just gone somewhat bad, but I don't recall reading how the titles are sequenced on the Blu-rays for this upcoming release.  I'd love to see that list posted!

According to a recent Facebook post by Randy Skretvedt, SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) is finally presented the way it was meant to be seen, and heard!  WAY OUT WEST (1937) will also enjoy its best ever home video presentation!

deepdiscount.com and wowhd.ca currently have the Blu-ray set marked way below amazon.com's $59.99 price point!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline falsealarms

I pre-ordered this right away but I'm just hoping this sells well enough for another set some point down the road as these restorations progress. Some of my favorites are ones not included here - Men O'War, Unaccostomed As We Are, Hoose Gow, Perfect Day.

Really looking forward to Battle of the Century, though. And some favorites that DID make this set are Helpmates, Hog Wild, Music Box, Busy Bodies, among others.

Offline Tony Bensley

I pre-ordered this right away but I'm just hoping this sells well enough for another set some point down the road as these restorations progress. Some of my favorites are ones not included here - Men O'War, Unaccostomed As We Are, Hoose Gow, Perfect Day.

Really looking forward to Battle of the Century, though. And some favorites that DID make this set are Helpmates, Hog Wild, Music Box, Busy Bodies, among others.
THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1927) is a long overdue must release, along with finally pristine presentations of SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) and a better than ever presentation of WAY OUT WEST (1937), which is my all time favorite Laurel & Hardy film! 

While I have the DVD and Blu-ray sets on preorder from Amazon Canada and Amazon.com as placeholders, I'm really hoping to get the Blu-ray set as a Father's Day gift, but I'll just have to wait and see! :)

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

Yesterday, on Facebook, I saw at least one person has already received the DVD set, and described it to Randy Skretvedt as "BEAUTIFUL."  :)

I will be receiving the Blu-ray edition as a Father's Day gift, via wowhd.ca!  I can hardly wait to enjoy fresh viewings of these Laurel & hardy shorts and features at their best and most complete in many decades!! [pie]

Below are the DVD and Blu-ray disc listings, the sequencing of which do differ!:

Link to the "Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations Back DVD Cover (Sorry, I couldn't get the actual image to post directly!): https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/laurel-and-hardy-restorations-coming-to-blu-ray-and-dvd.365530/page-6#lg=attachment73719&slide=0

This back cover confirms that the shorts are presented in chronological order of release on the DVD set!  The chronologically presented in order of release date is only broken by dint of SONS OF THE DESERT (1933) being presented first on the opening DVD disc!

LAUREL & HARDY: THE DEFINITIVE RESTORATIONS (Blu-ray Listing):
Disc 1
Feature:
Sons of the Desert
Shorts:
The Battle of the Century, presented nearly complete with original amber tint and a new score by Donald Sosin.
Berth Marks, with original 1929 soundtrack and 1936 reissue soundtrack
Photo Galleries:
Sons of the Desert Publicity Portraits • Scene Stills • Deleted and Candids • Posters and Publicity • Early Script • Dialogue Continuity • Contracts and Documents
Battle of the Century (including Press Sheet and publicity material)
Berth Marks including production stills, press sheet articles, music cue sheets, poster and lobby card art.
Portraits in Costume
Early Career: Stan
Early Career: Babe

Extras:
Anita Garvin Interview
Joe Rock Interview
Roy Seawright Interview (all filmed by Randy Skretvedt, October 1981; in color)
Ship’s Reporter interview with Babe Hardy, June 10, 1950
Sons of the Desert trailer (in Spanish)

Disc 2
Shorts:
Brats, with original 1930 soundtrack and 1937 reissue soundtrack
Hog Wild (from full aperture 1:33 source)
Come Clean
One Good Turn
Me and My Pal
Photo Galleries:
Brats • Hog Wild • Come Clean • One Good Turn • Me and My Pal (all including production stills, press sheet articles, music cue sheets, poster and lobby card art)
Babe Hardy’s Vim Comedies Scrapbook
L&H with Hollywood Friends
Catalina July 1934

Extras:
Audio Interview excerpts 1973-1981 from Randy Skretvedt (accompanied with photo galleries):
Billy Bletcher, actor • Joe Rock, producer • Hal Roach, producer • Anita Garvin Stanley, actress • George Marshall, director • Roy Seawright, special effects designer • Venice Lloyd, widow of cameraman Art Lloyd • Richard Currier, film editor • Bert Jordan, film editor • Walter Woolf King, actor • Lucille Hardy Price, Babe’s widow • Marvin Hatley, musical director (including performances of “Ku-Ku,” “Honolulu Baby,” and “Will You Be My Lovey-Dovey?”)

Disc 3
Shorts:
Helpmates
The Music Box
The Chimp
County Hospital
Scram!
Their First Mistake
The Midnight Patrol
Busy Bodies
Photo Galleries:
Helpmates • The Music Box • The Chimp • County Hospital • Scram! • Their First Mistake • The Midnight Patrol • Busy Bodies (including production and candid stills, press sheet articles, poster and lobby card artwork, call sheets and production reports, music cue sheets)
A Short History of the Hal Roach Studios
Supporting Players
Crew Members
Studio Hijinks
Snapshots from the 1932 UK Vacation

Disc 4
Feature:
Way Out West
Shorts:
Towed in a Hole
Twice Two
That’s That
The Tree in a Test Tube
Photo Galleries:
Way Out West: Portrait Stills • Scene Stills • Candid Stills • Pressbook Articles and Artwork • Poster and Lobby Card Artwork • Original 1913 Sheet Music • Script and Synopsis • Dialogue Continuity, Music Cues, etc.
Towed in a Hole • Twice Two • (including production and candid stills, press sheet articles, poster and lobby card artwork, call sheets and production reports, music cue sheets) • That’s That • The Tree in a Test Tube
Portraits out of Costume
Laurel & Hardy and Golf
Special Occasions
Odd Publicity Shots
Stan in Retirement

Extras:
Marvin Hatley music tracks (from Sons of the Desert, Them Thar Hills, Way Out West, Block-Heads, A Chump at Oxford and Saps at Sea)
Original Trailers for Beau Hunks, Pack Up Your Troubles, Babes in Toyland, Way Out West, The Flying Deuces, A Chump at Oxford and Saps at Sea

“All films — including the interview films, the trailers and the audio interviews — have optional English subtitles. The theatrical films (including The Tree in a Test Tube and That’s That) have optional commentaries by Richard W. Bann (for The Battle of the Century and The Music Box) and by Randy Skretvedt (all others). Film preservation by Richard W. Bann, The UCLA Film & Television Archive, The Library of Congress. Digital restorations produced by Jeff Joseph/SabuCat and performed by Thad Komorowski/Cineaste Restoration. A.R.T. by Point 360. Final Conforming and Clean Up by The Finishing Touch”.

CHEERS!!!! [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie] [pie]

(One pie for each hundred, out of a total of 3,000 said to be thrown during THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY (1927) pie fight sequence!)

Offline Tony Bensley

The Blu-ray option for the"Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations" set is now available to order via Amazon Canada (Albeit, with the "Temporarily out of stock" designation):
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B084P3S7NJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&fbclid=IwAR13pECZMroSL7l0WxRGEcXU2LPscKaeCzcy2UwcZFtlZwq7KI_CZQkx6gU

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

WOWHD.ca is early out of the gate, in terms of shipping out the "Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations" Blu-ray sets!

Meanwhile, Amazon Canada still has the "Temporarily out of stock" designation, with a pair of European 3rd Party Vendors selling the sets for over $100 CDN with collective projected arrival dates between July 12 and September 3, 2020!  ::)

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Tony Bensley

Currently Number 1 on Amazon among new Comedy releases! :)

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline archiezappa

I have this set on blu ray. I'm very impressed by the audio and video quality. This is the best that I've seen. I can't wait for further editions of this! 

Looks like the next one will be released this year and will feature silent films from 1927!

Offline QuinceHead

Just from the YouTube videos alone, the difference in quality between the DVD and Blu-Ray editions are staggering!

The DVD title sequences are often “blown out” (strong whites and blacks, very little grayscale), full of little white specks, and jiggle around like crazy. The Blu-Ray title sequences, on the other hand, show a great range of grays, are astonishingly stable, and free of the many little blemishes that usually bedevil film prints of this vintage!

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline Tony Bensley

Just from the YouTube videos alone, the difference in quality between the DVD and Blu-Ray editions are staggering!

The DVD title sequences are often “blown out” (strong whites and blacks, very little grayscale), full of little white specks, and jiggle around like crazy. The Blu-Ray title sequences, on the other hand, show a great range of grays, are astonishingly stable, and free of the many little blemishes that usually bedevil film prints of this vintage!

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Hi John,

This is really helpful information for those who inquire about visual differences between the Blu-ray and DVD editions! Thank you for sharing this!

Lack of greyscale is bad enough, but also white specks and crazy jiggling on the DVD title sequences? Yumpin' yiminy! Get the Blu-ray edition of this set is the definite message, here!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline QuinceHead

Hi John,

This is really helpful information for those who inquire about visual differences between the Blu-ray and DVD editions! Thank you for sharing this!

Lack of greyscale is bad enough, but also white specks and crazy jiggling on the DVD title sequences? Yumpin' yiminy! Get the Blu-ray edition of this set is the definite message, here!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Like my signature here says, “For duty and humanity!”  ;)  Happy to provide super service!

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead