Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Popeye The Sailor: The 1940s, Volume 3 Blu-ray

Offline Marshall

Hello all,

We've mentioned that a lot of us would like to see The Three Stooges shorts released on Blu-Ray. I  just wrote a web review of  the  Popeye The Sailor: The 1940s, Volume 3 Blu-ray that was released back in September. The picture quality is tremendous and the colors are vibrant. Plus, the cartoons, covering 1948 and 1949, are  as entertaining as ever. 

I know that in several cities, The Stooges shorts and Popeye cartoons aired in the same program or as part of the broadcast lineup. Anyone remember Popeye and The Stooges airing together locally or on the same channel?

Marshall

My review of the Popeye The Sailor: The 1940's, Volume 3 Blu-ray: https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Popeye-the-Sailor-The-1940s-Volume-3-Blu-ray-Review

Offline Moose Malloy

Hello all,

We've mentioned that a lot of us would like to see The Three Stooges shorts released on Blu-Ray. I  just wrote a web review of  the  Popeye The Sailor: The 1940s, Volume 3 Blu-ray that was released back in September. The picture quality is tremendous and the colors are vibrant. Plus, the cartoons, covering 1948 and 1949, are  as entertaining as ever. 

I know that in several cities, The Stooges shorts and Popeye cartoons aired in the same program or as part of the broadcast lineup. Anyone remember Popeye and The Stooges airing together locally or on the same channel?

Marshall

My review of the Popeye The Sailor: The 1940's, Volume 3 Blu-ray: https://hubpages.com/entertainment/Popeye-the-Sailor-The-1940s-Volume-3-Blu-ray-Review
Kudos for an excellent article, Marshal. I know how much time it must have taken to put that together. I loved Popeye as a kid and am STILL trying to find the one where Bluto is punching hell out his horse pulling a crazy big load. Can't find it on you Tube or TCM. I'm wondering if it's been banned for aminal cruelty

"Anyone remember Popeye and The Stooges airing together locally or on the same channel?"

Nope. Popeye was on our CBS affiliate while the Stooges were relegated to the cheap local station with a crappy signal

Offline Marshall

Moose,

Thanks for the kind words about the article. I greatly appreciate it. I  looked up on Google the film you mentioned, and it looks like it's one of the Fleischer shorts from 1935 titled "Be Kind to 'Aminals'. Here's the Dailymotion  link to it: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rt7m7 .

BTW, I like your Bruno Sammartino avatar.

Thanks again,
Marshall

Offline Umbrella Sam

Hello all,

Marshall

Nice review. The later Popeye 1940s volumes were ones that we had to wait a long time to get and I’m glad to see they’ve been selling well enough to warrant further volumes. Hopefully, this time they can make it until the end of the theatrical era.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Umbrella Sam

Kudos for an excellent article, Marshal. I know how much time it must have taken to put that together. I loved Popeye as a kid and am STILL trying to find the one where Bluto is punching hell out his horse pulling a crazy big load. Can't find it on you Tube or TCM. I'm wondering if it's been banned for aminal cruelty

"Anyone remember Popeye and The Stooges airing together locally or on the same channel?"

Nope. Popeye was on our CBS affiliate while the Stooges were relegated to the cheap local station with a crappy signal

As Marshall mentions, the cartoon you’re probably thinking of is BE KIND TO ANIMALS, which features Popeye with a voice that doesn’t sound anything like the Popeye voice we’re all familiar with!

Offline Moose Malloy

Moose,

Thanks for the kind words about the article. I greatly appreciate it. I  looked up on Google the film you mentioned, and it looks like it's one of the Fleischer shorts from 1935 titled "Be Kind to 'Aminals'. Here's the Dailymotion  link to it: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2rt7m7 .

BTW, I like your Bruno Sammartino avatar.

Thanks again,
Marshall
The irony of the avatar is that I was a huge rasslin' fan but  never actually saw the guy in action. But he was always showing up on the cover of RING magazine available at the corner barbershop, mangling some blood drench opponent.

Thanks for the link for aminals. Gonna watch it tonite with the aid of some fresh kush  :)

Offline Marshall

Nice review. The later Popeye 1940s volumes were ones that we had to wait a long time to get and I’m glad to see they’ve been selling well enough to warrant further volumes. Hopefully, this time they can make it until the end of the theatrical era.

Thanks Umbrella Sam. I appreciate the kind words about the review.  Jerry Beck on the Stu's Show program last month said that Warner Archive Collection is taking a break at the moment with the Popeye releases. So, the next volume, the first of the 1950s, won't be available soon. But, I would think they will get released.

Marshall

Offline Marshall

The irony of the avatar is that I was a huge rasslin' fan but  never actually saw the guy in action. But he was always showing up on the cover of RING magazine available at the corner barbershop, mangling some blood drench opponent.

Thanks for the link for aminals. Gonna watch it tonite with the aid of some fresh kush  :)

You're welcome, Moose. Bruno was sure on the cover of a lot of the wrestling magazines back in the 70's, and of course, the 60's. 

Marshall

Offline Umbrella Sam

Thanks Umbrella Sam. I appreciate the kind words about the review.  Jerry Beck on the Stu's Show program last month said that Warner Archive Collection is taking a break at the moment with the Popeye releases. So, the next volume, the first of the 1950s, won't be available soon. But, I would think they will get released.

Marshall

Well, at least we know now that there’s enough interest. I remember when the first volume was announced, Jerry mentioned that it was the last chance they had to prove there was a future in Warner Archive cartoon sets (apparently, the Porky Pig 101 set didn’t sell well enough), so it was a bit worrying, but thankfully the sets sold well. Hopefully, this means there could be another chance at a new Looney Tunes set in the near future.

Offline Marshall

Well, at least we know now that there’s enough interest. I remember when the first volume was announced, Jerry mentioned that it was the last chance they had to prove there was a future in Warner Archive cartoon sets (apparently, the Porky Pig 101 set didn’t sell well enough), so it was a bit worrying, but thankfully the sets sold well. Hopefully, this means there could be another chance at a new Looney Tunes set in the near future.
Another Looney Tunes Blu-ray set  would be great.

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Hello all,

Marshall

In Philly, both the Stooges and Fleischer Popeye cartoons aired in the afternoons on Sally Starr’s Popeye Theater on WFIL Ch. 6. The Stooges were frequent guests in the early 60s with Larry’s Philadelphia roots always mentioned.
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline metaldams

Since there are a lot of Popeye experts here, I have a question.  What era/DVD set would be the best place to start?  I grew up watching Popeye as a kid in the 80’s along with a bunch of other cartoons, but haven’t watched Popeye since.

....and for the record, I may end up reviewing cartoons at some point too.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Since there are a lot of Popeye experts here, I have a question.  What era/DVD set would be the best place to start?  I grew up watching Popeye as a kid in the 80’s along with a bunch of other cartoons, but haven’t watched Popeye since.

To my mind the early B&W Fleischer cartoons are the best. They’re much rougher than the later Famous Paramounts and have an edgier urban feel (Fleischer studios were in NYC). The later Technicolor Popeyes are beautiful to look at but are formulaic and increasingly aimed at kids.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 10:11:16 PM by Freddie Sanborn »
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline Umbrella Sam

Like Freddie Sanborn mentioned, the Fleischer ones are the best, so I’d recommend starting with the first DVD volume from the Warner Archive Collection, which also has a ton of bonus features and which you can get here:

https://www.amazon.com/Popeye-Sailor-1933-1938-Complete-First/dp/B000P296AS

Personally, I recommend the cartoons post-1935, because that’s around the time Jack Mercer started voicing Popeye (unlike most other cartoon series, a lot of dialogue in the Popeye cartoons was improvised, so having a good actor made an especially big difference in these cartoons).

The later Famous Studios cartoons are still good in their own way, but like Freddie mentions, they did get a bit more formulaic as the series continued, so the Fleischer/early Famous cartoons are probably the ones you’ll want to start with.

Offline metaldams

Thanks Freddie and Sam.  I see a similar consensus for the early stuff so I’ll start in the beginning and work my way forward.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

As mentioned earlier, the best DVD set by far is Warner's four-disc "Popeye the Sailor: 1933-1938." Along with classics such as "A Dream Walking" (1934) and "The Paneless Window Washer" (1937), this lavish collection unveils the fully restored Technicolor two-reelers from 1936-37. These early Popeye shorts represent Max and Dave Fleischer at the peak of their animation powers. Loaded with special features and bonus cartoons (including several Fleischer "Out of the Inkwell" gems from the 1920s), this DVD treasure remains strong to the finish.

Warner's two-disc "Popeye the Sailor: 1938-40" and the two-disc Fleischer/Famous "1941-43" certainly have their moments (plus a generous selection of bonus features), but represent a step down from Max and Dave's vintage 1933-38 output.

By the time the Fleischers lost their studio to Paramount in May 1941, the best Popeye entries were behind them. However, Famous' revitalized Technicolor Popeye series maintained a high level of quality from 1943 to 1949 before falling into a formulaic rut. The first three volumes of Warner's "Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s" are all you need from the Famous era. Remastered from the original 35mm Technicolor negatives, the uncut cartoons look absolutely stunning — the colors leap off the screen.

Offline Moose Malloy

To my mind the early B&W Fleischer cartoons are the best. They’re much rougher than the later Famous Paramounts and have an edgier urban feel (Fleischer studios were in NYC). The later Technicolor Popeyes are beautiful to look at but, to my mind, are formulaic and increasingly aimed at kids.
That's right. Betty Boop, Krazy Kat and Popeye were for the general theater audience to be enjoyed by all ages in glorious black&white. I don't like any Popeye 'toon where he has teeth  >:(

Offline HomokHarcos

I’m hoping they eventually release the rest of the shorts. I bought the other volumes and am waiting for them to finally release these last ones. If the Gene Deitch Tom and Jerry cartoons got a release (I admit I actually bought that) the 1950s Popeye should.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I’m hoping they eventually release the rest of the shorts. I bought the other volumes and am waiting for them to finally release these last ones. If the Gene Deitch Tom and Jerry cartoons got a release (I admit I actually bought that) the 1950s Popeye should.

As much as I love Popeye, I think it all boils down to the fact that Tom and Jerry have more staying power than Popeye. Tom and Jerry have been marketed better, as you see them more often in commercial products and revivals, whereas Popeye’s most recent “accomplishment” was starring in an awful Nintendo Switch game. Interestingly, I just found out Fantagraphics has started publishing the Popeye Sunday comics in a new collection series. I just bought a copy and am excited to find out the differences between the comics and cartoons.

And there’s no reason to feel ashamed for watching the Deitch cartoons. While not perfect, they are stylistic enough to the point that they have their own charm, particularly when they go crazy with the visuals. They’re definitely better than the 1970s or 1980s TV revivals.

Offline HomokHarcos

As much as I love Popeye, I think it all boils down to the fact that Tom and Jerry have more staying power than Popeye. Tom and Jerry have been marketed better, as you see them more often in commercial products and revivals, whereas Popeye’s most recent “accomplishment” was starring in an awful Nintendo Switch game. Interestingly, I just found out Fantagraphics has started publishing the Popeye Sunday comics in a new collection series. I just bought a copy and am excited to find out the differences between the comics and cartoons.

And there’s no reason to feel ashamed for watching the Deitch cartoons. While not perfect, they are stylistic enough to the point that they have their own charm, particularly when they go crazy with the visuals. They’re definitely better than the 1970s or 1980s TV revivals.

I’m thinking cartoons must be harder to restore, because series are rarely ever given full releases. The Woody Woodpecker set also didn’t reach the conclusion, but  I think Popeye and Woody Woodpecker must have more public interest than Charley Chase and Harry Langdon. I’m such a fan of the Golden Age of Animation that I’d be willing to go through complete filmographies of the studios. It can be difficult without official releases, though.

I do like the Gene Deitch Tom and Jerry cartoons for what they are now. I used to not like 1960s animation (used to stop in the 50s), but have really started getting into the later years for the major studios and TV cartoons from that decade. I think the 1960s made-for-TV Popeye is entertaining.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I’m thinking cartoons must be harder to restore, because series are rarely ever given full releases. The Woody Woodpecker set also didn’t reach the conclusion, but  I think Popeye and Woody Woodpecker must have more public interest than Charley Chase and Harry Langdon. I’m such a fan of the Golden Age of Animation that I’d be willing to go through complete filmographies of the studios. It can be difficult without official releases, though.

I do like the Gene Deitch Tom and Jerry cartoons for what they are now. I used to not like 1960s animation (used to stop in the 50s), but have really started getting into the later years for the major studios and TV cartoons from that decade. I think the 1960s made-for-TV Popeye is entertaining.

I’m the first to admit I know absolutely nothing about the restoration process, but it’s my understanding that it’s an expensive process that would need a good amount of sales in order to warrant such releases. I like Woody Woodpecker, but I don’t remember ever seeing any classic Woody blocks on TV when I was a kid (there was THE NEW WOODY WOODPECKER SHOW, but I didn’t know about that until I was older). It doesn’t seem like Universal really used him that much up until a few years ago (they did just release a new Blu Ray of classic Woody cartoons, but I have no idea if there are plans for a future release).

The 1960s was a real transitional era for animation. The days of full animation were pretty much over and they ended up either focusing more on the writing (ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE, THE FLINTSTONES) or following the UPA school of thought for stylized animation (Deitch, features like YELLOW SUBMARINE and A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN, and I think you could even make an argument for the Pink Panther). It’s definitely hard to adjust to especially after seeing how fluid the Looney Tunes, Disney and other non-UPA cartoons were pre-1960s, but they are unique works in their own right that have their own special charm (A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN is one of my favorite films).

Offline metaldams

You guys are a generation younger than me, so I have a question.  When you were kids, were Woody Woodpecker and Popeye shown on television or is this something you had to seek out on your own? I can tell you in the 80’s, they were definitely still being shown.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

You guys are a generation younger than me, so I have a question.  When you were kids, were Woody Woodpecker and Popeye shown on television or is this something you had to seek out on your own? I can tell you in the 80’s, they were definitely still being shown.
Popeye and Woody Woodpecker were not shown TV in Canada when I was growing up. I got into them because my grandparents gave me public domain DVD sets that included several classic cartoons  like Woody Woodpecker, Warner Bros.,  Felix the Cat, Ub Iwerks and Popeye on them.

Offline HomokHarcos

I’m the first to admit I know absolutely nothing about the restoration process, but it’s my understanding that it’s an expensive process that would need a good amount of sales in order to warrant such releases. I like Woody Woodpecker, but I don’t remember ever seeing any classic Woody blocks on TV when I was a kid (there was THE NEW WOODY WOODPECKER SHOW, but I didn’t know about that until I was older). It doesn’t seem like Universal really used him that much up until a few years ago (they did just release a new Blu Ray of classic Woody cartoons, but I have no idea if there are plans for a future release).

The 1960s was a real transitional era for animation. The days of full animation were pretty much over and they ended up either focusing more on the writing (ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE, THE FLINTSTONES) or following the UPA school of thought for stylized animation (Deitch, features like YELLOW SUBMARINE and A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN, and I think you could even make an argument for the Pink Panther). It’s definitely hard to adjust to especially after seeing how fluid the Looney Tunes, Disney and other non-UPA cartoons were pre-1960s, but they are unique works in their own right that have their own special charm (A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN is one of my favorite films).

As a kid I didn’t enjoy The Flinstones, Rocky and Bullwinkle or the UPA cartoons. Now I’m starting to like them all. The 1960s was also the height for cartoon holiday specials with: Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol, A Charlie Brown Christmas, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and all the Rankin-Bass stuff. I know it’s not a critical darling, but I’m a big fan of the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon. I’ve definitely changed my opinion after revaluation from the decade being mediocre to being pretty good.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Popeye and Woody Woodpecker were not shown TV in Canada when I was growing up. I got into them because my grandparents gave me public domain DVD sets that included several classic cartoons  like Woody Woodpecker, Warner Bros.,  Felix the Cat, Ub Iwerks and Popeye on them.

Yeah, I don’t remember Popeye or Woody being on TV here in the U.S. when I was a kid either. Much like HomokHarcos, I pretty much only knew Popeye from public domain DVDs (the only public domain Woody cartoon was PANTRY PANIC, which I did have on a public domain DVD but didn’t find out until much later). Popeye is now on MeTV as part of the TOON IN WITH ME/SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON blocks (PANTRY PANIC also showed up in a TOON IN WITH ME block, but again that’s probably due to its public domain status).

Offline metaldams

I think people around my age are the last to have stuff like Popeye and Woody Woodpecker.  That stuff was on after school constantly for me - I think the Universal Walter Lantz stuff was shown in blocks as I also remember Chilly Willy.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I think people around my age are the last to have stuff like Popeye and Woody Woodpecker.  That stuff was on after school constantly for me - I think the Universal Walter Lantz stuff was shown in blocks as I also remember Chilly Willy.

Yeah, I really think networks screwed that up when I was a kid. Even Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry, which were on Cartoon Network, were usually shown around noon/1:00, which meant I couldn’t see them unless I was home sick from school. Thankfully, VHS’s, DVDs and On Demand cable services made them easier to access.

Offline Mark The Shark

In Chicago the Popeye cartoons were occasionally combined with the Three Stooges on WFLD-Channel 32. In fact, the very first cartoon I ever saw played on late night television (circa 1980) was a black and white Popeye cartoon used to fill out a half-hour Three Stooges show. At the time, I thought it was a hoot for a cartoon to be shown on late night TV.