Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948) - Abbott and Costello

Offline metaldams

Oh boy, here’s the one I’ve been waiting for.  Not only am I an Abbott and Costello fan, but I am also a fan of the Universal Monsters.  The fact that all appear together in ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN makes my geekdom go into overload.  I will start by reviewing the horror aspects and since I don’t review the horror stuff regularly like I do comedy, I shall indulge.  I then of course will review the comedy aspect.  Be prepared, this will probably be my longest review ever.

For a little bit of history, Universal International completely did away with the monsters before this movie was made.  The last time these monsters appeared in a film together was 1945’s HOUSE OF DRACULA and the last horror film made by Universal was 1946’s THE BRUTE MAN.  The studio thought so little of that film they sold it to poverty row studio PRC to distribute.  Horror was not only dead at Universal but dead in Hollywood, period, in the late forties.  So in 1948 when this film was made, the monsters needed Bud and Lou more than the reverse.  Dracula and The Frankenstein Monster both had a series of films for the studio dating back to 1931 and The Wolf Man dating back to 1941.  In addition to the already mentioned HOUSE OF DRACULA, all three appeared in 1944’s HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN and met without Dracula in 1943’s aptly titled FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN.

I will briefly address the horror fans who say meeting Bud and Lou softened the monsters.  I will give them minor support in stating I agree The Monster being briefly scared of Lou and The Wolf Man falling down chasing Lou and getting kicked the the rear took things too far - and are also the only negative things I will say about this otherwise awesome movie.  Yes, there’s the whole bit about Dracula being seen in the mirror when he’s biting Dr. Mornay’s neck - I get the complaint yet I’m not bothered by it.  It’s never established in the film about the mirror and frankly, the scene is so awesome I’m not going to complain.

The Frankenstein Monster is played for the third time by Glenn Strange, who also had a brief role in THE WISTFUL WIDOW OF WAGON GAP.  By the time Glenn played the role in the series, The Monster was a beast on a table who gets up towards the end and chases someone around.  Far from the days of depth and pathos when Karloff surveyed the roles. Strange does more with the monster here than in his other two roles and gets used wonderfully during the chase scene.  He even speaks a few lines as well, the only time in the series the monster does so outside of BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.  Considering where the monster was at in the series and the fact this is a comedy, the Monster is used well here.  I never blame Strange for the writing of his roles, as I think he looked great as The Monster and was a good physical presence.

Lon Chaney, Jr. plays The Wolf Man for the fifth time.  He maintains the pathos and his fear of the full moon well, acting very appropriately to Lou Costello’s jokes about turning into a wolf himself.  Nice contrast between the comedy and horror in that bit.  The transformations are getting better film by film and I especially like the one under the furniture.  Chaney was a pro and had the Larry Talbot thing down to a science, so he’s of course a welcome presence here.  The Wolf Man is the only Universal monster played by the same actor every time.

Then of course, there’s Bela Lugosi as Dracula.  Simply my favorite dramatic actor of all time.  Unbelievably, this is only the second time he played Dracula for Universal and they almost had Ian Keith play the role here.  Pure blasphemy.  Bela did play two vampire roles outside of Universal but they legally couldn’t be called Dracula.  Anyway, he’s fantastic here.  Those hand movements and close up stares are one of a kind as is the command and presence of that voice.  Only Bela can do that.  This is a real vampire, boys and girls, not these sensitive pretty boy things that pass as vampires these days.  Bah!  This vampire bites Dr. Mornay on the neck and look at the expression on her face - that’s a vampire.  Bela’s the man and can also do comedy.  I’ve seen most of his films and can tell you he could have been a great comic supporting actor if he was allowed to.  Check out his dramatic comic pause in his line about brains while on the stairs and the way Lou childishly cuddles his face towards Bela.  Bela has an expression on his face like a sympathetic papa, I just lost it from laughter there.  A real shame this was Bela’s last major studio Hollywood role.  I know the man had his demons but you can’t convince me he didn’t have more to give.  I’m so glad he got the role here, at least.  For some cool trivia, Bela was born 10/20/1882.  Margaret Dumont was born 10/20/1882.

The horror look of this film was fantastic.  That basement set, with the stone stairs and moat is cool as Hell and the room just above it, all dungeon like with that sewer vent with steam coming out being quite bad ass.  Also check out the lab with all the cool electronic and lightning effects as well as the animated bat transformations.

Not only do we get a monster rally here, we get a pretty girl rally here as well.  Lenore Aubert plays Dr. Sandra Mornay and does a very fine job.  I love the fact she’s Eastern European so she fits in real well working as a henchwoman with Bela.  Jane Randolph as Joan Raymond is also wonderful and is famous for horror fans for being the stalked girl in the swimming pool and street in CAT PEOPLE.  I love the female dynamic with Lou.  Two pretty girls, a brunette and a blonde, way above Lou’s league. Both have a courting with Lou but for reasons in the plot that make sense.  Lou is enough of a wolf to just go along from one girl to another so you don’t feel sorry for him when he gets jilted, yet his reactions to being with either of them are priceless.  Also sets up some great jealous Bud bits which lead to some great dialogue exchanges with Lou about trying to bargain for situations where Lou can share.  Very funny stuff and definitely one of the better scenarios so far with Bud and Lou and the opposite sex.

The bread and butter to ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN, along with the monsters, are Lou’s scared reactions.  Unbelievably funny.  The “whoa” he lets out the first time he sees The Monster’s face through the hay in that crate never fails to make me laugh.  His reactions when Dracula is stalking him out of the coffin are also all time classic comedy stuff as well as the hand routine while sitting down with The Monster.  Inspired by HOLD THAT GHOST, we get a great moving candle bit as well as bits of Lou seeing monsters and Bud not believing Lou because he just misses seeing what Lou sees.  Another great thing about this film is the chase at the end is for once very, very good!  No over reliance on long shots and back screen projection, instead we get Dracula fighting The Wolf Man while Bud and Lou run away from The Monster.  Lots of great door gags and scare reactions and frankly it’s the kind of thing that would fit in well with the Shemp era Stooge shorts.  A refreshing change of pace and man, love that bit where The Wolf Man grabs bat formation Dracula as they fall into the water below!

The coup de grace is The Invisible Man in a cameo, voiced by Vincent Price!  Mr. Price was about five years away from being a full time horror star, but he did have the occasional role by this point, including THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS from 1940.

Probably Bud and Lou’s most famous film and definitely my favorite.  There’s just too much awesomeness in this one.  ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN was a huge success and inspired four more films where they meet other horror stars or monsters.  I hope everyone comments on this one, I’d love to hear your thoughts.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

I hope everyone comments on this one, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Great review of a great A&C movie, Metal!  At the dawn of home video, this was the film that I introduced to my sons again and again, wearing out our local library's VHS copy.  A couple years ago, my wife and I were fortunate enough to attend a private viewing at an out of town movie theatre, complemented with drinks, dinner, dessert, and coffee, and I've never had a better, more laugh-filled entertaining evening at the cinema.  What I wouldn't do to experience it all over again!  Keep up the great work, Senor Dams - you are very effective at capturing the spirit of the films and bringing back wonderful memories.  Danke!!!

Offline metaldams

Great review of a great A&C movie, Metal!  At the dawn of home video, this was the film that I introduced to my sons again and again, wearing out our local library's VHS copy.  A couple years ago, my wife and I were fortunate enough to attend a private viewing at an out of town movie theatre, complemented with drinks, dinner, dessert, and coffee, and I've never had a better, more laugh-filled entertaining evening at the cinema.  What I wouldn't do to experience it all over again!  Keep up the great work, Senor Dams - you are very effective at capturing the spirit of the films and bringing back wonderful memories.  Danke!!!

Thanks for the compliments and the stories.  So cool you got to share this movie with your sons and got to see it wife your wife in a theater.  Laugh filled indeed, I can imagine it was a great experience.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Great review as usual Metal. This might be my second favorite A & C film, meaning I still put Hold That Ghost slightly above it & Chaney Jr's previous outing with Bud and Lou gets better everytime I watch that film. It's definitely a shame both Bela and Lon were generally done with anything good after, though--as far as Chaney goes--High Noon was a great western & he didn't really "Screw Up" until that unfortunate live tv fracas where he played Frankenstein's Monster.

So, aside from Witchcraft and the very outstanding Spider-Baby, this A & C outing was definitely the last of Lon in his "horror prime." Glenn may have been overly stiff as the monster each time he played it, but as previously stated, the monster could have been played by any run of the mill stuntman by the time HOF was made in '44, so Mr Strange does a very capable job with what he is given.

The comedy aspect definitely lives up to the return of Bud and Lou meeting the Universal "Big Three" of horror & I definitely agree with every Hollywood critic who says this is the greatest horror comedy. Too bad that the next one with Karloff and Lenore is such a letdown, but it seems normal that it would be following this gem...

10/10....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Great review as usual Metal. This might be my second favorite A & C film, meaning I still put Hold That Ghost slightly above it & Chaney Jr's previous outing with Bud and Lou gets better everytime I watch that film. It's definitely a shame both Bela and Lon were generally done with anything good after, though--as far as Chaney goes--High Noon was a great western & he didn't really "Screw Up" until that unfortunate live tv fracas where he played Frankenstein's Monster.

So, aside from Witchcraft and the very outstanding Spider-Baby, this A & C outing was definitely the last of Lon in his "horror prime." Glenn may have been overly stiff as the monster each time he played it, but as previously stated, the monster could have been played by any run of the mill stuntman by the time HOF was made in '44, so Mr Strange does a very capable job with what he is given.

The comedy aspect definitely lives up to the return of Bud and Lou meeting the Universal "Big Three" of horror & I definitely agree with every Hollywood critic who says this is the greatest horror comedy. Too bad that the next one with Karloff and Lenore is such a letdown, but it seems normal that it would be following this gem...

10/10....

Another post Universal Chaney role that rocks the casbah is THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2019/03/abbott-and-costello-meet-frankenstein.html

Glad to see that some horror fans actually do really like this movie, because the opinions I’d seen weren’t exactly favorable. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m not a huge horror fan, but I still do enjoy many of the classics like the original FRANKENSTEIN and DRACULA films (Heck, I even like most of the Hammer films, too). They’re great movies, but I’ve never gotten deep into the lore of these characters like most horror fans, so that aspect obviously never really bothered me when it came to this movie.

It’s a very fun film, and if memory serves me right, most of the other horror crossovers were also pretty good as well (although I have some pretty strong feelings against ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE KILLER, BORIS KARLOFF).
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2019/03/abbott-and-costello-meet-frankenstein.html

Glad to see that some horror fans actually do really like this movie, because the opinions I’d seen weren’t exactly favorable. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m not a huge horror fan, but I still do enjoy many of the classics like the original FRANKENSTEIN and DRACULA films (Heck, I even like most of the Hammer films, too). They’re great movies, but I’ve never gotten deep into the lore of these characters like most horror fans, so that aspect obviously never really bothered me when it came to this movie.

It’s a very fun film, and if memory serves me right, most of the other horror crossovers were also pretty good as well (although I have some pretty strong feelings against ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET THE KILLER, BORIS KARLOFF).

There are a portion of horror fans who don’t care for Abbott and Costello and classic comedians in general.  I think they’re the ones who tend to get offended by this film more.  For those of us who appreciate both, many consider this the greatest horror comedy ever along with YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN - which is from a different era and has a different aesthetic.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

The first and easily the best of the Abbott and Costello horror comedies. I will admit that I'm not the biggest fan of Bud and Lou, but everything clicks here.  One of the enduring qualities of "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" lies in the fact that the Universal Monsters play it straight. Lugosi, in particular, gets to shine one last time as Count Dracula — a truly magnificent performance. Unlike "House of Frankenstein" and "House of Dracula," you finally get to see Dracula, the Wolf Man and the Frankenstein monster in the same frame! A bona fide classic.

9/10

Offline metaldams

The first and easily the best of the Abbott and Costello horror comedies. I will admit that I'm not the biggest fan of Bud and Lou, but everything clicks here.  One of the enduring qualities of "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" lies in the fact that the Universal Monsters play it straight. Lugosi, in particular, gets to shine one last time as Count Dracula — a truly magnificent performance. Unlike "House of Frankenstein" and "House of Dracula," you finally get to see Dracula, the Wolf Man and the Frankenstein monster in the same frame! A bona fide classic.

9/10

You’re correct.  It really is surprising the three monsters never appear together in the two straight horror films yet with Bud and Lou, they’re all together.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Toast5884

A great review by metaldams! I'm glad the series ended here instead of House of Dracula. Both of the House films had so much potential but wasted golden opportunities. Especially House of Dracula. The way things pick up almost feels like there's another film that should've taken place with Dracula gaining control of the Frankenstein monster and the Wolf Man and Dracula finally crossing paths. I wish there could've been more of Wolf Man vs Dracula in the Monster Mash era of the Universal films as they just felt like natural enemies. Oh well, fanboy dreams, lol.

I still watch this and Young Frankenstein every Halloween. The Wolf Man's make-up is unbelievable in this. I'm surprised that for a film made around this time the Monsters all got a chance to breathe and the film doesn't lean on Bud and Lou to carry the picture. Everyone delivers in this one and it's a great way to send off the trinity of Universal Horror icons.

Incidentally, I once stumbled upon a really cool book in the late 90s/early 2000s entitled Return of the Wolf Man. It picks up after the events of this movie and brings the monsters into the present day. If you can find it, it's well worth a read!

Offline metaldams

A great review by metaldams! I'm glad the series ended here instead of House of Dracula. Both of the House films had so much potential but wasted golden opportunities. Especially House of Dracula. The way things pick up almost feels like there's another film that should've taken place with Dracula gaining control of the Frankenstein monster and the Wolf Man and Dracula finally crossing paths. I wish there could've been more of Wolf Man vs Dracula in the Monster Mash era of the Universal films as they just felt like natural enemies. Oh well, fanboy dreams, lol.

I still watch this and Young Frankenstein every Halloween. The Wolf Man's make-up is unbelievable in this. I'm surprised that for a film made around this time the Monsters all got a chance to breathe and the film doesn't lean on Bud and Lou to carry the picture. Everyone delivers in this one and it's a great way to send off the trinity of Universal Horror icons.

Incidentally, I once stumbled upon a really cool book in the late 90s/early 2000s entitled Return of the Wolf Man. It picks up after the events of this movie and brings the monsters into the present day. If you can find it, it's well worth a read!

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

October is not written in stone yet, but YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is a contender.  If not this October, then certainly a future one.  DRACULA DEAD AND LOVING IT I saw upon the initial theatrical release in high school and not since, so that’s another one I want to do someday.
- Doug Sarnecky