Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Noose Hangs High (1948) - Abbott and Costello

Offline metaldams

Previously, whenever Bud and Lou made films outside of Universal they were made at MGM.  The way their contract now was set up, they could make one film per year outside of Universal.  In the case of THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH they chose Eagle-Lion Studios to be the studio to distribute this film and Bud and Lou produced it themselves.  Since we are now in the second half of the filmography, the structural superiority of straight plot and comedy is for the most part maintained, but also for the first time, it’s starting to feel like Bud and Lou are treading water a bit. 

A lot of routines from previous films show up in THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH.  Remember the phone booth routine from KEEP ‘EM FLYING?  It’s here.  Mudder and fodder from IT AIN’T HAY?  Also here.  The packing/unpacking bit from HIT THE ICE?  If you said it’s here, you’re catching on to my theme.  Let’s focus on the latter bit.  It’s done competently here and is entertaining on its own merit, but compared to HIT THE ICE, nowhere near as good.  Half of Bud’s reasoning for changing his mind so much seems forced compared to the more natural flow in HIT THE ICE and the overall energy levels were higher in the older film as well.  So yeah, superior routine in HIT THE ICE, but structurally, THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH is the superior film without all the extra bells and whistles of the older films.  So yeah, you gotta pick and choose.  Some Abbott and Costello films have better individual scenes and don’t gel overall and some gel well but don’t have as many superior moments.  It can be frustrating.

However, there is one real classic moment in THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH even if it does use a few old routines.  It involves Bud and Lou sitting at a table just talking.  Bud asks Lou about various situations, Lou innocently answers  or agrees and Bud turns the innocent answer into Lou being clueless.  Example, Bud supposes Lou should board a hole in the wall in a restaurant they are at.  Lou agrees to what Bud says hypothetically and Bud berates Lou for agreeing to what he initially suggested.  The berating goes on and on brilliantly by Bud and Lou gets frustrated as ever.  The genius of this scene is the way it breathlessly builds into one situation after the other - going to a baseball game, not using mustard and putting people out of work, the 40 year old dating the 10 year old and how long it would take to catch up in ages - and yes, we’ve heard most of this stuff before.  But the way it’s done in succession and the way Bud is the trouble instigating straight man and Lou is the frustrated patsy is pure genius.  Their timing is incredible here and their characters perfectly in synch,  the best few minutes of this movie and some of the best few minutes Bud and Lou ever put to film.  This is the pure essence of what make Bud and Lou great the same way that last minute of CRASH GOES THE HASH is for The Three Stooges.

The opening of the THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH has a very good dentist scene where Lou tries to lose a bad tooth and shortly after that the plot kicks in.  Bud and Lou get mistaken for men meant to deliver $50,000 for gangsters; so they get the money accidentally sent in the mail and have to find who it was sent to in order to appease the gangsters.  They find the girl who gets the money - which she spends most of before Bud and Lou find her.  The gangsters are threatening throughout trying to get the money and bizarrely enough, the main guy they need to pay is played by Leon Errol, of all people!  He’s fun to watch.  In THE WISTFUL WIDOW OF WAGON GAP, a lot of the humor derived creatively from the plot itself, here, not so much.  Like I said, a lot of old routines were resorted to for the laughs, yet the plot in itself is OK and Bud and Lou have plenty of screen time, so at least the plot never feels like an unneeded distraction like in the earlier films.  As for the ending, it’s sudden and not much of a climax, another in a long line of weak endings.

So the NOOSE HANGS HIGH is pleasant viewing, has one amazing scene, but for the first time feels like Bud and Lou are low on ideas.  For the next film, they return to Universal.  Universal had a franchise a few years previously that has since been dead, or is that - undead?  Tune in next week and see how it links to Bud and Lou.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-noose-hangs-high-1948.html

I guess it’s subjective, but I thought many of the comedy routines here were just as good as in the older films. I mention in my review that aspects of this film remind me of THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW, and that point still stands. This is basically a feature length version of THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW. There’s sort of a plot, but it takes a backseat to Abbott and Costello doing random skits that don’t really relate that well to the plot, while also dealing with a ridiculously crazy world around them. There’s a lot of energy from the supporting cast that helps them to stand out just as much as Abbott and Costello, as was the case on their TV show. So far, I’m debating between this and TIME OF THEIR LIVES as my favorite Abbott and Costello film.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

I guess it’s subjective, but I thought many of the comedy routines here were just as good as in the older films. I mention in my review that aspects of this film remind me of THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW, and that point still stands. This is basically a feature length version of THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO SHOW. There’s sort of a plot, but it takes a backseat to Abbott and Costello doing random skits that don’t really relate that well to the plot, while also dealing with a ridiculously crazy world around them. There’s a lot of energy from the supporting cast that helps them to stand out just as much as Abbott and Costello, as was the case on their TV show. So far, I’m debating between this and TIME OF THEIR LIVES as my favorite Abbott and Costello film.

The only thing that reminds me of the  television show is the tooth pulling stuff from the opening bit in the backyard up until the dentist office business with Murray Leonard.  The rest is a bunch of routines with a plot mixed in.  Like I said though, at least the plot is Abbott and Costello centric, a definite plus.

Giving it more thought, perhaps Leon Errol’s character has the vibe of the TV show a bit as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

I really like this film. Thankfully I still have my VHS recording of this that I was able to transfer to DVD because I had a difficult time finding the DVD copy of this movie. I think what made me like this film so much is that there were a lot of routines packed into this film.

Offline NoahYoung

However, there is one real classic moment in THE NOOSE HANGS HIGH even if it does use a few old routines.  It involves Bud and Lou sitting at a table just talking.  Bud asks Lou about various situations, Lou innocently answers  or agrees and Bud turns the innocent answer into Lou being clueless.  Example, Bud supposes Lou should board a hole in the wall in a restaurant they are at.  Lou agrees to what Bud says hypothetically and Bud berates Lou for agreeing to what he initially suggested.  The berating goes on and on brilliantly by Bud and Lou gets frustrated as ever.  The genius of this scene is the way it breathlessly builds into one situation after the other - going to a baseball game, not using mustard and putting people out of work, the 40 year old dating the 10 year old and how long it would take to catch up in ages - and yes, we’ve heard most of this stuff before.  But the way it’s done in succession and the way Bud is the trouble instigating straight man and Lou is the frustrated patsy is pure genius.  Their timing is incredible here and their characters perfectly in synch,  the best few minutes of this movie and some of the best few minutes Bud and Lou ever put to film.  This is the pure essence of what make Bud and Lou great the same way that last minute of CRASH GOES THE HASH is for The Three Stooges.

I agree that this is the best scene in the picture. This is part of a classic burlesque straight man lecture, "Handful of Nickels."
The boys later reprised it in THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW -- episode titled "Police Rookies."

Great minds think alike, Umbrella Sam. I have long held the opinion that this was a dry run for the ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW.
This is a 10/10 in my mind. It is my favorite A&C film. Their performance of the routines are as good here (and sometimes better) as in any other film or TV appearance. Although I enjoy Leon Errol, my minor quibble here is that I would have preferred Mudder-Fodder to have been done with Bud. Also, like in the A & C SHOW, they walk down the street and run into crazy people etc. Pretty much everything that happens when they walk down the street was also repeated on their TV show.

The dentist scene formed the basis of "The Dentist Office" episode, and even included the scene where Lou ties dog leashes to his teeth.
In another episode, "Las Vegas", Lucien Littlefield takes Leon Erro'ls place as he and Lou reprise the poolroom scene. His character's name is also Julius Caesar. The difference here is that Mudder-Fodder starts with Bud, but later continues with Littlefield. (Littlefield appeared in some Hal Roach silents, including at least one Charley Chase short. He later appeared as the mad scientist in Laurel and Hardy's DIRTY WORK, and as the Veterinarian in SONS OF THE DESERT -- although I don't know what his religion had to do with it!  :D )

Keep in mind that since this was an independent production, A&C probably wanted to include as many of their classic routines as possible, the same as they later did for THE A&C SHOW, which Lou owned. NOOSE was owned by "Abbott and Costello Productions", which had been newly formed before production of this picture. Eagle-Lion not only released the film, but it was filmed at their studios.
Somewhat ironically, the film is now owned (I think) by M-G-M. My VHS copy was issued my M-G-M/UA home video. I did not buy the DVD, which was released by M-G-M. What's confusing is that the Blu-Ray was released in 2017 by a company called ClassicFlix.
Perhaps M-G-M no longer owns the rights to the film.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_77/the_noose_hangs_high_blu-ray.htm

The quote from dvdbeaver: "Because The Noose Hangs High was not part of the package when Abbott and Costello's Universal releases were syndicated for television, it has been little seen in recent years." is wrong. This was part of the WPIX Channel 11(from NYC) A&C package that introduced me to the films, starting circa 1972.  They showed every Universal feature (including IT AIN'T HAY, which for years wasn't released on video due to legal problems with the Damon Runyon estate), plus NOOSE, DANCE WITH ME HENRY, and THE WORLD OF ABBOTT & COSTELLO, every Sunday morning from 11:30am to 1pm. This continued until 1990!  Unfortunately, due to the 90 minute time-slot with commercials, the films were edited for television, which was acknowledge on screen, superimposed over the picture right after the credits. You guessed it -- they cut out A&C scenes but left in each and every musical number, and sappy love scenes that advanced the plot. I think individual stations made their own cuts and were supplied with the complete film; I say this because occasionally WPIX would show a film in a different time slot -- usually 1 hour and 45 minutes, with no cuts -- but you could actually see where the splices were made! So I saw NOOSE just as often as all the Universal films. The VHS was released in 1993, and the DVD in 2005. So hardly "little seen in recent years."

Within the last 10 years, and before the Blu-Ray release, NOOSE was available for streaming on Netflix. I believe it is now available to stream on at least one other platform, though it is no longer on Netflix.

Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline metaldams

I agree that this is the best scene in the picture. This is part of a classic burlesque straight man lecture, "Handful of Nickels."
The boys later reprised it in THE ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW -- episode titled "Police Rookies."

Great minds think alike, Umbrella Sam. I have long held the opinion that this was a dry run for the ABBOTT & COSTELLO SHOW.
This is a 10/10 in my mind. It is my favorite A&C film. Their performance of the routines are as good here (and sometimes better) as in any other film or TV appearance. Although I enjoy Leon Errol, my minor quibble here is that I would have preferred Mudder-Fodder to have been done with Bud. Also, like in the A & C SHOW, they walk down the street and run into crazy people etc. Pretty much everything that happens when they walk down the street was also repeated on their TV show.

The dentist scene formed the basis of "The Dentist Office" episode, and even included the scene where Lou ties dog leashes to his teeth.
In another episode, "Las Vegas", Lucien Littlefield takes Leon Erro'ls place as he and Lou reprise the poolroom scene. His character's name is also Julius Caesar. The difference here is that Mudder-Fodder starts with Bud, but later continues with Littlefield. (Littlefield appeared in some Hal Roach silents, including at least one Charley Chase short. He later appeared as the mad scientist in Laurel and Hardy's DIRTY WORK, and as the Veterinarian in SONS OF THE DESERT -- although I don't know what his religion had to do with it!  :D )

Keep in mind that since this was an independent production, A&C probably wanted to include as many of their classic routines as possible, the same as they later did for THE A&C SHOW, which Lou owned. NOOSE was owned by "Abbott and Costello Productions", which had been newly formed before production of this picture. Eagle-Lion not only released the film, but it was filmed at their studios.
Somewhat ironically, the film is now owned (I think) by M-G-M. My VHS copy was issued my M-G-M/UA home video. I did not buy the DVD, which was released by M-G-M. What's confusing is that the Blu-Ray was released in 2017 by a company called ClassicFlix.
Perhaps M-G-M no longer owns the rights to the film.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film6/blu-ray_reviews_77/the_noose_hangs_high_blu-ray.htm

The quote from dvdbeaver: "Because The Noose Hangs High was not part of the package when Abbott and Costello's Universal releases were syndicated for television, it has been little seen in recent years." is wrong. This was part of the WPIX Channel 11(from NYC) A&C package that introduced me to the films, starting circa 1972.  They showed every Universal feature (including IT AIN'T HAY, which for years wasn't released on video due to legal problems with the Damon Runyon estate), plus NOOSE, DANCE WITH ME HENRY, and THE WORLD OF ABBOTT & COSTELLO, every Sunday morning from 11:30am to 1pm. This continued until 1990!  Unfortunately, due to the 90 minute time-slot with commercials, the films were edited for television, which was acknowledge on screen, superimposed over the picture right after the credits. You guessed it -- they cut out A&C scenes but left in each and every musical number, and sappy love scenes that advanced the plot. I think individual stations made their own cuts and were supplied with the complete film; I say this because occasionally WPIX would show a film in a different time slot -- usually 1 hour and 45 minutes, with no cuts -- but you could actually see where the splices were made! So I saw NOOSE just as often as all the Universal films. The VHS was released in 1993, and the DVD in 2005. So hardly "little seen in recent years."

Within the last 10 years, and before the Blu-Ray release, NOOSE was available for streaming on Netflix. I believe it is now available to stream on at least one other platform, though it is no longer on Netflix.

Great review, you made me want to revisit this one, which I will do soon - got a week off in a couple of weeks!

I’m thinking of reviewing the TV show episodes at some point.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

Thanks. I haven't watched this one complete in a long time. I usually watch the 4 extracts released by Official Films:

OH, MY ACHING TOOTH (all the toothache stuff, and at the dentist)
MONEY MUDDLERS (the money-mixup at the post office, dress/undress, "you're not here" with Mike Mazurki)
MUDDER AND FODDER (self explanatory)
PINCH ME, PLEASE (trying to get arrested on the street, followed by "handful of nickels" but unfortunately slightly edited)

Each runs close to 10 minutes. Available in Super 8 and 16mm -- I started with the former, then sold them when I obtained the latter. So that's more than half the movie. They focus on the A&C routines, so the story never gets wrapped up, even though you get a sense of the plot. These were first released for home viewing just about a year after the film played in theaters! Just on 16mm, since Super 8 wasn't invented until 1965, but 8mm started in 1932. I do not think any silent editions were issued, but I could be wrong.

I still have a few working VCRs, so maybe I'll watch my VHS edition again soon.

Regarding the TV show episodes, I have never seen thorough write-ups on the episodes either in print or on-line. About 10 years ago, I watched the Passport DVD set from episode 1 to episode 52. I took copious hand-written notes on the first season to document the routines. It is nearly impossible to remember which episode had which routine, except in some obvious cases. I have never typed them up, but if someone starts a thread, this would be a great opportunity for me to do so. I also rated them. I would re-watch each episode again, though, if we start a full-blown episode-by-episode discussion.

The first season has been restored by Bob Furmanek on both DVD and Blu-Ray from camera negatives! He is currently working on the second season. It was released by ClassicFlix this past December, the same company that released NOOSE. Bob probably worked on NOOSE for them. I think the Passport DVD set is superb. There was another set that basically dupes that, including the extras, several years after it's release, but through a different company.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline metaldams

If you say nobody has done these A&C TV show episodes online, that’s more incentive for me to discuss them.  At the moment I’m bi-weekly doing the Chaplin Mutual and Harold Lloyd two and three reelers.  That will take me to early summer and at that point I will do the TV episodes.  I too have the Passport DVD sets.
- Doug Sarnecky