Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap (1947) - Abbott and Costello & Marjorie Main

Offline metaldams

After watching THE WISTFUL WIDOW OF WAGON GAP, I think it’s safe to say this is the second film of the second half.  The halftime show would be the two films where Bud and Lou are not a team and the first half would be all those comedy/romance/musical mixes.  The second half, which coincides with Universal becoming Universal-International forsakes the romance and music and THE WISTFUL WIDOW OF WAGON GAP, like last week’s film, is no exception.  Ironic in a film where there are very few outside distractions Bud and Lou share top billing in this one with Marjorie Main.  Ms. Main just came off the big hit THE EGG AND I which would soon morph into the Ma and Pa Kettle series.  The first Universal-International film, BUCK PRIVATES COME HOME rides the success of BUCK PRIVATES and of course the next film for the studio uses the monsters, so I’m noticing the newly merged studio using Bud and Lou with successfully proven properties.

Something else I’m noticing for the second film in a row is less of reliance on old burlesque routines and a stronger emphasis on plot based comedy.  Those burlesque routines were a good portion of the comedy in those first half films and would again be catalogued, minus the frills of the romance and music numbers, on the television show years later.  So the plot in this one involves Lou accidentally killing a man in the old west.  They are in Montana so state law says if you kill a man you must take care of his family and pay his debts.  Well, the man Lou kills happens to have a ton of kids, ranging from young ones to a pretty daughter in her twenties because there has to be an excuse to hire a pretty actress, after all.  Then of course there’s the wife, played by a well past her twenties and co top billed Marjorie Main.  She is absolutely fantastic in this film.  The scene where she tries to convince Lou to marry her is a treat to watch as she switches from sweet to demanding in nanoseconds and a frightened Lou acts accordingly.  Great mileage is done with the responsibility to the family plot.  Lou becomes sheriff and the only way he is able to get the rough cowboys to do his bidding is to threaten them with a picture of the family he’s currently caring for.  After all, if they murder Lou, the family will be their responsibility by law.  Lou acting tough is funny to watch and he even bosses Bud around at one point.  It really feels like the equivalent of Larry getting his shots in at Moe in THE SITTER DOWNERS - the team dynamic takes a fascinating reverse turn for a moment.

Another great comedy scene is the frog in the soup gag.  Another in a long line of instances where Lou sees some crazy situation and Bud never sees a thing.  What’s great, in addition to the comedians being masterful in their roles, is the way Lou tries to pass off the soup with the frog in it to Bud, yet the frog manages to find a new way to hop into whatever bowl Lou has at the moment.  The variety used in milking the same gag is great gag writing.  I also enjoy the bit where Lou and one of the older kids get caught in a paintbrush on the face war, only to have the widow step in after poor Bud gets framed and she gives Bud the works.  My only real complaint about this film, like most of the films we’ve discussed so far, is the finale.  Here it’s not so much a chase as the film has an almost straight cowboy shoot down and fistfight to end things with little bits of comedy thrown in.  I would have preferred a stronger comic ending, but that’s really my only complaint about this one.

So overall, yeah, I have a good feeling going forward with this Universal-International era.  THE WISTFUL WIDOW OF WAGON GAP, if not the best film we’ve discussed so far, I feel is one of the better ones.  Looking forward to the journey ahead.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Worth mentioning  Jake Frame is played by Gordon Douglas, A.K.A. Mike the Cop from Bud and Lou’s TV show.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

Actually it is Gordon Jones.  Glenn Strange who plays Lefty in The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap would later play Frankenstein's monster in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

Offline metaldams

Actually it is Gordon Jones.  Glenn Strange who plays Lefty in The Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap would later play Frankenstein's monster in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein.

You’re right, it is Jones.  No clue how I made that mistake, thanks for the correction.

Glenn Strange of course played the monster two other times before this film in addition to playing the role with Bud and Lou.  He actually played a lot more cowboy roles like this than horror, but of course it’s the monster he’s most remembered for.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Not a whole to say; I just have mixed emotions when my favorite comedians do westerns & the results are less than stellar. See also, the Marx Brothers in Go West...

3/10....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Not a whole to say; I just have mixed emotions when my favorite comedians do westerns & the results are less than stellar. See also, the Marx Brothers in Go West...

3/10....

I don’t have a problem with comedy westerns if done right and am in the minority in considering GO WEST the second best Marx MGM film.  It’s actually horror comedy I like least.  The only exceptions are Bob Hope, The Bowery Boys and of course, Bud and Lou.

The Stooge westerns are OK but never overall one of their stronger genres.  I think here at least there’s creativity in Lou using the family photo in a threatening manner.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/12/the-wistful-widow-of-wagon-gap-1947.html

Well, nothing to add, because I said all I wanted to in my review, and my opinion basically matches metaldams’s, although I do think that the comedy is a bit too light in the first two-thirds. Usually I’m fine with comedians doing westerns, as long as they somehow actually take advantage of the setting, and this one does that just fine, just like in HIT THE ICE. Hey, at least we got a better western than RIDE ‘EM COWBOY.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com