Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Campaign "saves" AFRICA SCREAMS

Offline falsealarms

A campaign kicked off the other day to save and restore AFRICA SCREAMS, the Abbott & Costello feature that also includes Shemp and Joe Besser.

It aimed to raise $7,500 by the end of the month. Less than 30 hours after it began, the campaign already has over $9,000.

MORE: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3dfilmarchive/save-abbott-and-costellos-africa-screams

The video with the campaign is pretty interesting.

This new 4K digital master will then be utilized for a Special Edition region free Blu-ray and DVD release.  These discs will not be DVD-R or BD-R, they will be commercial discs pressed and manufactured to current industry standards.

There will be exciting extras on this release. They include a newly recorded commentary track by Ron Palumbo, noted expert and my co-author on "Abbott and Costello in Hollywood," the definitive book on the films of Bud and Lou.

Other extras will include photo galleries with rare production stills taken on the set, full color posters and lobbycards from both the 1949 and 1953 theatrical releases, industry trade advertisements - and a few surprises.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Thanks for letting us know about this.  I contributed, even though they've already passed their goal.  :)

Offline metaldams

I have an old public domain copy which I haven’t watched in years.  The 4K edition might be a good upgrade.

I remember really enjoying this film and I’m looking forward to reviewing it soon.  Shemp, Besser and Hillary Brooke with Bud and Lou - and they’re all used well if my memory serves me right.  Hard to beat that.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I have an old public domain copy which I haven’t watched in years.  The 4K edition might be a good upgrade.

I remember really enjoying this film and I’m looking forward to reviewing it soon.  Shemp, Besser and Hillary Brooke with Bud and Lou - and they’re all used well if my memory serves me right.  Hard to beat that.

I've always liked Africa Screams - in fact, my brother and I just watched it again  this past Saturday morning - but all I've ever seen are relatively poor quality copies over the years.  After I pledged I got an update on the campaign with a  two and a half minute video test scan they did, and even without any of the secondary steps that they take it looked so much better!  I'm excited to see the final product.  :)