The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Question regarding "Beer & Pretzels" on DVD

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
This question comes to us in a roundabout way, from a member who apparently signed up five years ago for the sole purpose of asking another member via a Personal Message to post a question for him.  Unfortunately, that member didn't notice the message until now, and he has forwarded it to me.  It seems like an interesting question, so I've decided to share it here in case anyone knows the answer:

Quote from: lamocush on June 08, 2014, 02:06:51 PM
If anyone is as avid a fan as I am, you know that in regard to Beer and Pretzels, most of the releases of this short on dvd cut the few seconds where Ted Healy runs across the street and grabs Bonnie Bonnell with his cane.  The Stooges then catch up to them.  I found the COMPLETE short on YouTube.  So my question is:  Which dvd has this COMPLETE short?  When answering, please do not say The Lost Stooges (vhs) hosted by Leonard Maltin because he talks over the opening.  The one I saw on YouTube and am looking for is the dvd where it is Beer and Pretzels in its entirety without the "introduction".

P.S.  I am new to this website and do not know how to ask this question to the general public.  Yours was the last name I saw.  Would you please re-post this to the general public.  Thank you.

Offline metaldams

This question comes to us in a roundabout way, from a member who apparently signed up five years ago for the sole purpose of asking another member via a Personal Message to post a question for him.  Unfortunately, that member didn't notice the message until now, and he has forwarded it to me.  It seems like an interesting question, so I've decided to share it here in case anyone knows the answer:

Quote from: lamocush on June 08, 2014, 02:06:51 PM

I have the DVD that came out around the time this question was asked.  It’s the one with HELLO POP.  Even though I just watched this short due to Paul Pain’s review, I can’t say I have the Healy shorts memorised where I’d notice a brief bit like that.  I’ll check my DVD tonight or tomorrow night and post what I find.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I’m assuming it’s the part earlier in the short that’s being referred to.  On the CLASSIC SHORTS FROM THE DREAM FACTORY VOLUME 3 DVD, there’s a part where he runs across the street and grabs Bonny by the arm, but with his hand, not his cane.  Not sure if anything is missing, but I didn’t see a cane grab.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

I’m assuming it’s the part earlier in the short that’s being referred to.  On the CLASSIC SHORTS FROM THE DREAM FACTORY VOLUME 3 DVD, there’s a part where he runs across the street and grabs Bonny by the arm, but with his hand, not his cane.  Not sure if anything is missing, but I didn’t see a cane grab.

There's a recent YouTube upload of the entire short for those who want to check this out for themselves. The aforementioned bit occurs at around 2:48. There is of course, no grab with the cane, but with the cane clearly visible in that shot, I can see that bit easily being misremembered. It's not as though there's any discernable jump shots to indicate any cuts during that bit either, so I think that possibility can be eliminated.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline metaldams

There's a recent YouTube upload of the entire short for those who want to check this out for themselves. The aforementioned bit occurs at around 2:48. There is of course, no grab with the cane, but with the cane clearly visible in that shot, I can see that bit easily being misremembered. It's not as though there's any discernable jump shots to indicate any cuts during that bit either, so I think that possibility can be eliminated.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Then it appears the DVD should be complete.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Then it appears the DVD should be complete.

At least insofar as it relates to the bit with the cane, yes.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Mark The Shark

Did this occur at a reel change? I seem to recall years ago when this short came out as an extra on the "Flying Down To Rio" DVD, I read something about a brief trim at the point of a reel change. But it's a lot of years ago. In any case, I am glad to know the Warner Archive version apparently is "restored."