Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Utopia (1951) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

Well folks, it’s been a long journey spanning several years, even with a slight break in the middle, but this is finally the end of the Laurel and Hardy reviews as we discuss UTOPIA, or ATOLL K, or ROBINSON CRUSOELAND, depending on what part of the world you’re in.  I will refer to this film as UTOPIA as I’m from the U.S. and that’s what it was released as over here....in 1954, three years after the European release!  Not only are the release dates and titles not in synch, neither are the actors!  This was a French/Italian co production shot in Europe, so Stan and Ollie speak their native English while the supporting actors speak their native languages.  In the English versions (one 82 minutes, one 99 minutes), all the supporting actors are dubbed in English.  The 82 minute version has been the most readily available in the public domain for years and the one I have access too.  I understand the BFI 99 minute blu-ray is the way to go, so if you have a region free player, check it out.  There are also two other non English versions floating around out there and the filming was a disaster, taking a year to film!

Read the above paragraph.  Confused?  Good, because this film itself is confusing.  There are two strikes against UTOPIA that just about everyone states and I agree with them both.  The first strike is the appearance of Stan Laurel.  The man is frail and sickly looking and it is sad to watch him in such a condition.  Fortunately, Stan did have his health turn around and managed to live almost another 14 years after filming wrapped up, yet it’s still hard to watch Stan in such a frail condition, taking away from any comic mood.  Second strike is the already mentioned actors being dubbed.  For the record, I do not mind dubbing as a general principle.  There are plenty of Italian horror films or Asian kung fu films I can watch with dubbing and I’m fine.  The problem is this is a Laurel and Hardy film.  Timing and believable interaction is necessary between the comics and supporting players, yet here, it feels like they are all in a different movie.  Nothing natural at all, no chemistry whatsoever.  The likes of Mae Busch, Thelma Todd, James Finlayson, Charlie Hall and Billy Gilbert speaking English and having chemistry with the boys would have done wonders here. Instead, we get a confused and jumbled mess, which is what I imagine it felt like on the set.

As far as the plot, too political in parts, only Chaplin can get away with that in my eyes because, well, he’s Chaplin.  World War II really changed film comedy and post war is no exception.  The atomic age, immigration and anarchy vs. law are all covered here - not to a satisfying in depth degree and they also don’t belong in a Laurel and Hardy film.  I just want to laugh and escape that stuff when visiting Stan and Ollie.  There are a few OK gags that would have worked better if filmed at Roach with actors who spoke the same language.  There’s the taking turns going to sleep stand by that involves some fake bats and some Stan screams, a fun scene.  There’s the drink being stolen when making a toast, there’s the engine parts being knocked off the boat....OK stuff.  The latter could have been done much better at Roach.  The ending of the film itself feels more like plot resolution and no great gag.  Just the bad guy falling on his butt in cacti and the leading lady hitting people on the head with a sock loaded with a rock. 

So yeah, not a great way to end their film career.  However, the very last moment is perfect, at least.  They go off into the sunset with Ollie saying, “Well here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten me into” followed by Stan crying.  At least they got that right.  We also say our farewell to Monte Collins.  He’s the Stooge character actor Jules White like to used who has appeared in many films we’ve discussed from different comedians.  A gag writer for UTOPIA, he prematurely died of a heart attack two months after filming wrapped up.  R.I.P. Professor Bilbo.

Also, R.I.P. to me making new Laurel and Hardy reviews, I am finished.  Straight Abbott and Costello from now on.  Thank you to everybody who has participated and will participate in the future, comments are of course always welcome, even if it’s years later.  Laurel and Hardy were an amazing comedy team who make me laugh.  A banal thing to say, but sometimes the truth is banal.  May their comedy live forever.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

I have the 97 minute version on DVD-R, which I find plays better than the abbreviated 82 minute version, which I believe alleviates at least some of the confusion, story wise.  The rest of your points remain relevant, however.

It's also worth noting that Suzy Delair is still with us, at the age of 101!!!! (Born: December 31, 1917) :)

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Thanks for everything, metaldams!  I am hoping to eventually catch up on these, but that remains to be seen.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

UTOPIA...

“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Though somewhat marred by Laurel and Hardy's declining health, the admirably offbeat "Atoll K" is actually superior to most of the team's post-Hal Roach efforts. Stan and Ollie's cinematic swansong includes some memorable sight gags and a surprising amount of political satire. Because the film was shot out of sequence, Stan looks better in some scenes than others . . . and the same goes for Ollie. Nevertheless, they remain seasoned comedy pros.

6.5/10

Film historian William K. Everson's 1967 program notes on "Atoll K" are worth reading.

https://wke.hosting.nyu.edu/wke/notes/huff/huff_670207.htm
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 01:43:56 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline metaldams

Though somewhat marred by Laurel and Hardy's declining health, the admirably offbeat "Atoll K" is superior to most of the team's post-Hal Roach efforts. Stan and Ollie's cinematic swansong includes some memorable sight gags and a surprising amount of political satire. Because the film was shot out of sequence, Stan looks better in some scenes than others . . . and the same goes for Ollie. Nevertheless, they remain seasoned comedy pros.

6/10

Film historian William K. Everson's 1967 program notes on "Atoll K" are worth reading.

https://www.nyu.edu/projects/wke/notes/huff/huff_670207.htm

Thanks for the Everson link, good reading!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

UTOPIA, or ATOLL K, or whatever you want to call it, was the very first Laurel and Hardy movie I ever saw...and for a while it was the last. The poor quality, the terribly handled story, and the fact that at least one of the actors looked like he was near death certainly did not appeal to me and I assumed that if all of their films were like this, they weren’t worth checking out more. Thankfully, the next Laurel and Hardy film I saw was WAY OUT WEST. Watching it again years later, is it still as bad as I remember? No, not as a whole, although certain aspects still are.

So let’s start by talking about the two most discussed points: Stan’s health and the dubbing. Stan does indeed look terrible here, but to his credit, his actual performance is a lot better than I’d expect given his condition. His movements, his facial expressions, they still are quite good. It is a shame that he does look so sick here, but the fact that he still could give a good performance despite his condition is quite impressive.

What’s not as impressive is the dubbing. Generally I find the dubbing process to be too distracting, and whenever I watch a foreign film, I almost always choose the subtitles option if it’s available. The dubbing here, though, is just at another level. Outside of the distracting fact that Laurel and Hardy have to interact with people who don’t speak their language and feel like they’re in different movies, the dubbing here is extremely poor. Apparently, the great voice actor Paul Frees dubbed the English voice for Antoine, but if that’s really him...wow, he was given some awful direction!

Ok, so what about the rest of the movie? Well, it starts off with Laurel and Hardy being scammed by lawyers who clearly pocket most of Laurel’s inheritance for themselves and lie to them that their island is tax free. It’s super annoying, but I’m going to talk more about this later, because it ties in to the major problem with this movie. After that scene...the movie actually is funny. Yeah, Laurel and Hardy have some pretty good material to work with and do deliver it well despite their conditions. Stan and Ollie trying to load stuff on the boat on the dock, Giovanni stealing Stan and Ollie’s food and drinks, Stan dropping the engine parts in the ocean, all the stuff falling on Ollie when they arrive at the atoll, the scene in the bedroom with the bats...this is a much funnier movie than I remember it being. Although the other major characters had already been introduced by this point and the political aspect had been hinted at, the comedy still remains in the forefront throughout the first 2/3 of the movie...

And then the last third happens. Hmm...Ok, so let’s talk about the main characters and their problems: Stan and Ollie want to escape taxes thanks to their awful experience with the lawyers; Antoine is a stateless man who has been rejected by every country; Giovanni is a bricklayer from Italy with dreams of building more than he can working for someone else; and Chérie is a singer escaping from a mismatched marriage. As I mentioned in my PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES review, I didn’t like the Richard Cramer scenes because what was addressed was too serious of an issue for Laurel and Hardy to take on. Here, they try to take on at least 4, while also throwing in an anti-anarchy message. The castaways start a government on the atoll that’s based around having no laws or taxes, only to discover that they need to implement laws and taxes and are sentenced to be hanged by the citizens for implementing them. The “we need taxes” message doesn’t work because of how terribly handled that opening was. Most of Laurel and Hardy’s money was clearly stolen by crooked lawyers, not taken by actual government taxes!

And then the ending...that horrible ending. When I first saw this movie years ago, I thought that this was the worst ending to a movie I had ever seen. I’ve seen some pretty bad endings since then, but even years later, I still consider it among the worst movie endings I’ve seen. Here’s what happens to our main characters. Giovanni goes back to Italy to build fences. Ok, fine, I really didn’t care about him that much anyway. Laurel and Hardy get to their island only to find out that they lost it since they didn’t pay their taxes. Like I said, the lawyers told them that the island was tax free, further enforcing the idea that their money was stolen rather than actually taxed by the government. Chérie ends up marrying the guy she didn’t want to marry. I get that he saved her, but...come on, why do either of them need to get married? It’s clearly an awful union. And Antoine...gets killed by a lion. Yep. The character who I felt the worst for, dies! I know Stan liked his freak endings, but you can’t just kill off serious characters like this! It makes it seem as though they’re ignoring all of these real life problems and saying, “Eh, who cares?” This is why Laurel and Hardy couldn’t handle extremely serious real-life issues. They tried to tell a political story here and failed miserably at it!

So, yeah, the parts of it that I remember being awful, are still pretty awful for the most part. But, like I said, a lot of these problems really don’t come up until the last third. Prior to that, it is actually a funny movie with decent acting that showed even in old age, Laurel and Hardy could still be a good comedy team. It’s just a shame that they had to get lost in all the political hijinks. This is not the horrible movie I remember it being, but it’s extremely underwhelming considering what it could have been judging from much of the comedy.

6 out of 10

So, yeah, not the best way to go out, but it honestly does impress me how much better the post-Roach stuff for Laurel and Hardy was than I was expecting. It would be nice if we still could have gotten some more later Laurel and Hardy classics, but the fact that we have what we have already is enough for me.

Offline HomokHarcos

I was reading the book Laurel and Hardy From the Forties Forward, and supposedly Jules White said he would have hired the duo in a heartbeat. I wonder what Laurel and Hardy's Columbia comedies would have been like. Unfortunately, back then moving from features to shorts was seen as a downgrade, so there wasn't ever a good chance they would work there. After 6 years of no movies, Laurel and Hardy make their return. I think the beginning with Laurel and Hardy is the best part of the movie, even though Stan definitely looks very old here. Then it gets into a political section that is played straight. Political satire in comedy can be great, like in The Great Dictator in Duck Soup. Here it is mainly serious and doesn't gel well with Laurel and Hardy. I actually prefer their Fox movies to Atoll K (though I still think this is better than the MGM movies). After being released in 1951, it wouldn't be released in the United States until 1954. With that Laurel and Hardy's movie career came to an end.

Offline metaldams

I was reading the book Laurel and Hardy From the Forties Forward, and supposedly Jules White said he would have hired the duo in a heartbeat. I wonder what Laurel and Hardy's Columbia comedies would have been like.

I can picture the scene on the lot now.

(Laurel walking by Moe and Larry)

Stan: “Hey Babe, look, it’s Ted Healy’s boys! (Turns to Moe) What have you fellas been up to all these years?”

Moe: “Hi Stan.  Well, we just won a Laurel Award!”

Stan: “How come I haven’t?  I get no respect in this town.”
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Just found this video in my recommendations. I never noticed before, but there’s a brief part of the film where you can see a crew member sticking her head out from behind her prop.

Offline Steveb

I was reading the book Laurel and Hardy From the Forties Forward, and supposedly Jules White said he would have hired the duo in a heartbeat. I wonder what Laurel and Hardy's Columbia comedies would have been like. Unfortunately, back then moving from features to shorts was seen as a downgrade, so there wasn't ever a good chance they would work there.
   Laurel likely would have been miserable trying to function within Columbia's Three-Day shooting schedules, and even if White didn't make Ollie conk Stan on the head, they'd have been surrounded by other actors head bonking or hair pulling with stooge-like sound effects.

Offline Steveb

Spot on about the dubbing: "Just-my-luck-to-be-a-stowaway-on-a-boat-with-two-landlubbers-who-manage-to-drop-the-engine-into-the-ocean-THE-OCEAN-AAAAAAAAH!"

Offline metaldams

Laurel likely would have been miserable trying to function within Columbia's Three-Day shooting schedules, and even if White didn't make Ollie conk Stan on the head, they'd have been surrounded by other actors head bonking or hair pulling with stooge-like sound effects.

Bingo
- Doug Sarnecky

One of my main problems with this is the dye job on Stan's hair and eyebrows.  Heretofore it had always photographed much lighter, registering as brown even in a black and white film.  In this one it photographs as jet black, and looks as fake as Groucho's dye-job in Skidoo.

Among the very nice things about Hats Off's new " Fan's Cut " is the new background music by the Beau Hunks.  It was a great concept album to begin with, and has been beautifully edited into the picture.

Babe Hardy was certainly a trouper.  Despite being obviously older and overweight, with the beginnings of heart problems ( at least according to the plot of Stan And Ollie, which strikes me as fairly truthful, even if maybe not chronologically spot-on ) , his performance is strong and gives no hint of ill health.  He's still very much Ollie.