Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Who Done It? (1942) - Abbott and Costello

Offline metaldams

WHO DONE IT? is the eighth starring vehicle for Abbott and Costello and fourth film they made in 1942.  After this the pace would relatively slow down, as they would usually make two films a year for the rest of the forties, occasionally doing three.  Still, in the beginning, these films were being released at a very fast pace and making a huge profit in the process.  WHO DONE IT?  is the first Abbott and Costello film to have zero musical numbers and is the most straight forward comedy they made up until this point.

I’ll briefly touch on the non comedic elements first, which are the romance and the murder mystery.  The romantic couple are played by Louise Allbritton and Patrick Knowles and they both do a fine job.  No sappy romantic scenes here.  The history of their relationship is quickly established in the beginning and they end up working together to solve the mystery throughout.  Nothing non comedic, including the couple, ever gets in the way of the comedy, which to me is the most important thing in an Abbott and Costello film.  Can’t say the same about a film like BUCK PRIVATES or KEEP ‘EM FLYING.  The couple are the ones who concoct the set up to solve the mystery, but I don’t go deeper than that.  Ms. Allbritton is a blonde here, she had dark hair in SON OF DRACULA.  A welcome presence in both, but more important to the latter.

The mystery itself - I must confess I’ve never been a deep mystery fan for whatever reason unless if I take the plots at face value sand don’t overthink it.  That to me is the best way of dealing with WHO DONE IT?  The plot doesn’t make too much sense but again, moves along quickly and sets up some comedic scenes for Bud and Lou, so it’s fine with me.  With the exception of mid forties experiments, plot never was never important in these Bud and Lou movies to me.  I do really enjoy the shadowy atmosphere throughout, something Universal succeeded at.  Almost a Film Noir look.

As for Bud and Lou themselves, plenty of comedy here, more so than any other film up to this point in pure volume.  While nothing as iconic as the best scenes in HOLD THAT GHOST, everything here works.  I like the fact Lou gets a girlfriend in Mary Wickles, who he works well with in the same comic tradition as he did with Joan Davis and Martha Raye in previous films.  Love the height difference between the two.

We do get a couple of self referential nods to “Who’s on First” here.  The “watts” and “volts” mix up, splendidly done in a similar comic pattern, dives quickly into “what” on second base before they end it.  When listening to the radio later in the film, Bud and Lou hear themselves doing “Who’s on First” but view it as some other guys, immediately dismissing what they’re hearing in a twist of irony.  The fact they can be so self referential shows the level of fame they’ve achieved at this point.

Routines galore here.  Lou and the limburger cheese is a great excuse for disgusted Lou reactions.  The water fountain scene shows great chemistry between Bud and Lou.  Love it when Lou shoots an angry Bud with water and Lou asks Bud why he’s sweating.  The phone booth routine is another classic bit.  Poor Lou has constant trouble getting to his desired line and gets frustrated.  The kicker is when Bud gets to the line no problem, only to hang up and prove to Lou the line was not busy instead of giving the line to Lou, who of course struggles some more.  The squirting water through the phone to the operator is a fine climax.  Lots of fun chasing by the detectives where Bud and Lou get caught in an acrobatic act.  Great excuse for some fast paced slapstick.  Lou crashing through multiple walls, leaving a comic body imprint throughout, has always been a favorite moment of mine.  The solving of the mystery simply works as an excuse for a fast paced chase climax on a roof where Lou gets electrocuted and lives to tell about it.  Basically, a lot of energetic comedy here and Bud and Lou are both still in their prime while doing it.  WHO DONE IT? always feels like their film, making it one of the better of the earlier films.  HOLD THAT GHOST is still tops so far, though.

Will end my review on a bit of obscure Stooge related trivia.  Earlier in the film when Lou is mistaken for a dead body, two men in white attempt to take him away.  Notice the one on the left, it’s Duke York.  He of Three Stooges fame, including, most famously, WHO DONE IT?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/07/who-done-it-1942.html

Not much to add here. One thing I do appreciate about this is that they did get some genuine radio actors to appear in it, like Walter Tetley (William Bendix also was most known for his radio show, THE LIFE OF RILEY, although I don’t think he was starring in that at the time).

But, yeah, the focus is on the comedy, and they really nail it. There is at least 1 of their films that I prefer this one, but, regardless, it’s still one of my favorite Abbott and Costello films.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Tony Bensley

This is definitely among their best non monster flicks! It's always a real treat to see. :)

CHEERS!  [pie]