Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Nothing But Trouble (1944) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

Well, we’ve finally come to NOTHING BUT TROUBLE, my pick for the worst Laurel and Hardy film.  I only give the slight edge to AIR RAID WARDENS because of the scenes with Edgar Kennedy, but the two films, other than that, are basically at the same level.  What’s amazing is that NOTHING BUT TROUBLE is the biggest money maker Laurel and Hardy ever made, which just goes to show the power of MGM distribution.  Buster Keaton has a similar story in that his MGM film, SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK is his highest money maker and also far from his best - yet it is vastly superior to NOTHING BUT TROUBLE.  Speaking of Buster, he was supposedly a gag man on this film which makes this more disheartening, since most of the gags are not funny.

Let’s get to the comedy first.  I suppose the intro of the film starts promisingly enough with the boys trying to get work at an employment office in vain, so they go to foreign countries to get work.  The photo book of ancestors and the boys getting thrown out of different employers in different languages with rage over “steak ala Oliver” is amusing.  Stan serving a meal from the left side instead of the right is amusing and the boys hanging off the ledge of a building and doing their trademark screams towards the end is the most Laurel and Hardy like moment in the film.  These are all mildly amusing moments that would be fine in a film with a classic comic scene or two, but not strong enough to be highlights.

On the weaker end, the football scene is highlighted by Stan not knowing how to blow a whistle and Oliver pushing down children.  The getting the steak from the lion’s den scene really goes nowhere as does the steak cutting scene.  Yes, the plot is saccharine, which we’ll get to in a moment, but the biggest sin any comedy can have is lack of great comic scenes, and I’m afraid that’s why NOTHING BUT TROUBLE ranks so low.

Ah yes, but there’s the plot.  It’s The Boy King film, folks.  A character so unbelievably sugar coated it screams code era MGM. He’s not a bad kid, he just wants to save the world and play for Notre Dame.  I think the voice is dubbed as well.  Really not the kind of thing that belongs in a comedy and too far fetched to be in a satisfying drama.  Of course, Stan and Ollie think kids are swell (yes, they say that), and deem themselves unworthy to be in the kids presence when they find out he’s a king.  Nauseating.  I miss Charlie Hall.  What makes this even more depressing is that the actor who played The Boy King, David Leland, passed away four years later at the age of 16.  Poor kid, very tragic.

So yeah, we’ve hit rock bottom and there’s two more films left.  Even at rock bottom, the film is watchable due to the presence Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy and their presence alone.  That might be the highest compliment I can pay them. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I first saw NOTHING BUT TROUBLE a few years ago. At the time, I thought it was an OK film and didn’t really understand why it was so hated by Laurel and Hardy fans. However, at the time I also hadn’t seen the majority of their Roach work and, though I enjoyed the few that I had seen, I was not as interested in their work as I am now. Now, having seen all of their work with Roach, truly appreciating their best work, and having seen the problems with AIR RAID WARDENS, I find that NOTHING BUT TROUBLE...is an OK film, and I don’t really understand why it’s so hated by Laurel and Hardy fans.

Well, OK, obviously it’s a post-Roach film, but what about this film necessarily makes it worse than some of the other post-Roach films? Is it the comedy? Well, it’s not perfect, but it isn’t taken up by tons of recycled material that was done better by them at the Roach studios. Is it the supporting cast? Again, not perfect, but for a 1940s comedy not at the Roach lot, they’re passable. Is it the self-pitying? While there is a fair amount of it, it does make a lot more sense here thanks to the sentimental tone of the story.

Speaking of the story, let’s talk about that. I must admit (while waiting for the pitchforks to come out) that I actually like this story. The tone is very different, but like I said in my JITTERBUGS review, I don’t think different is always a bad thing. The idea of Laurel and Hardy meeting royalty is nothing new; we’ve seen it before in THE BOHEMIAN GIRL. Don’t get me wrong, THE BOHEMIAN GIRL is still a better movie than this, but having Laurel and Hardy come into this situation isn’t necessarily an unbelievable one. I do think their friendship with the king actually is convincing...for the most part. The part where they send him home, despite him claiming that his uncle beats him, did seem pretty out of character for them, even if they do feel bad about it later. Still, I thought that the story was interesting and the portion at the mission especially gives it some emotional weight. Yeah, they do deem themselves unworthy in his presence...but, come on, high society has always looked down on them, even at Roach. It does seem understandable. They even have the kid playing a part in some of the comedy.

Now, don’t get me wrong, the comedy in this movie is not perfect. The scene with the lion is indeed not a very good one, and it seems like Laurel and Hardy are treated here more as simple idiots than usual. But I still like a good portion of the comedy. I enjoyed watching the football scene mainly to see Stan. He has to keep getting away from the action and his movements throughout this scene are very entertaining to watch. I also really did like the portion with Stan trying to serve the meals. Even the opening, though a bit reminiscent of the AIR RAID WARDENS opening, is still fun to watch thanks to Stan’s reaction to getting yelled at by the French boss, and not understanding what he said. The steak scene is fun at first, though it does go on a bit too long.

Really, I don’t see any Keaton touches in here. Apparently he did come up with a Keaton-style climax, but it was discarded in favor of the more Harold Lloyd-style climax seen in the finished film (the director, Sam Taylor, also co-directed SAFETY LAST!). As seen here, the climax is fine; the prince being poisoned does seem pretty out of place, though.

The supporting cast is fine enough in their roles. Mary Boland fits the role of the wealthy woman trying to impress the king. David Leland is fine, although he’s mainly limited to reaction shots towards the end. Philip Merivale is a pretty boring villain, though.

Maybe it’s just because I’m a sucker for sentimentality, but I found myself somewhat entertained by this film and thought the sentimentality, though not done as well as in PACK UP YOUR TROUBLES, worked fine. It’s not a Laurel and Hardy classic, but I don’t think NOTHING BUT TROUBLE is nearly as bad as it’s usually made out to be.

7 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Umbrella Sam

I think the voice is dubbed as well.

This was bothering me, especially since I thought I heard a pretty high voice during the closing song, so I checked out a bit of his other major role in HOUR BEFORE THE DAWN. Judging by that, he could do an English accent, though his voice was higher. Is it possible that his voice changed during production and that he had to redub most of the dialogue later?

Offline metaldams

Sam, the main reason most people hate this movie is The Boy King.  Sentimentality is fine, but it has to be done right.  I have a nephew (11) almost this kid’s age and while he’s a really good kid overall, he also comes with a barrage of poop jokes and bad table manners.  In other words, he’s a real kid.  This Boy King is just too unbelievably wholesome.  It feels very MGM and while I have to admit I haven’t seen MGM Our Gang shorts since I was a child, my understanding is the series took a downturn after Roach for this same reason.  Some of the Our Gang experts on this board would be better able to comment on this, I’m sure.  Then Stan and Ollie hang out with this kid by pure chance and sticking with him because they like kids and think kids are swell.  Lazy and shallow characterizations and writing.

For something like this done right, THE KID from Chaplin is the best example.  A compelling back story and legitimate reason why The Tramp and The Kid are together. The Kid has both a sweet and mischievous side.  It feels real, the story and characters have a real emotional depth - and it still at times manages to be funny.  The best scenes in NOTHING BUT TROUBLE are a slight chuckle, but nothing more.  I too fail to see The Keaton touches but so many sources say he contributed.

So there’s an unbelievable kid character the boys have a lack of compelling reason to hang out with and below average to average comedy throughout.  What makes this over the top is the story revolves around this kid.  I’d rather see recycled gags like in a few Fox films, at least they work.

Hey, glad you like this film, but it ain’t for me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Believe me, I think THE KID is definitely a better film than this (although that dream sequence towards the end dragged a lot). Laurel and Hardy’s reason for being friends with the king is definitely weaker than in THE KID, but there is a reason: sympathizing with the problems he makes up about his home life (although like I said initially, the part where they sent him home at first shouldn’t have been in there).

As for being unbelievable...well, he is a king. It’s hard to really say how a kid would act in such a situation, but I wouldn’t think acting so wholesome could be entirely out of the question, especially when his parents probably died while he was very young. Really, it just doesn’t bother me.

Wouldn’t know about the MGM Our Gang shorts. The few Our Gang shorts I’ve seen were by Roach and (sorry, Our Gang fans) I found them to be pretty boring. Not my type of series.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

After a promising start, Stan and Ollie's 1944 effort plunges into a sea of MGM mediocrity with a ludicrous plot involving the attempted murder of a boy king.  "Steak a la Oliver" is one of the few bright spots. Perhaps the team's worst feature.

3/10

Offline HomokHarcos

This is the one Laurel and Hardy movie I didn't like. While the 20th Century Fox movies were less enjoyable than the Roach products, I could still have fun watching as I tend to not be a very critical viewer. This was the exception for the primary reason that it wants to feel sorry for a king. In real life I despise monarchies, and I hate that my country (Canada) is a monarchy, with a foreign queen as the official head of state. If he hates being a king so much, why doesn't he just abdicate? I'm sorry but I don't want to get behind this king. Maybe if the character had more interesting personality traits he would be more likeable, but like metaldams says he is way too wholesome. It is heartbreaking though to hear how young the actor was when he died. The beginning was good with Stan and Ollie leaving during the depression since they can't find work, only to come back and realize that there are several job offers.

Offline Steveb

I suspect MGM was more interested in trying out David Leland as a new Freddie Bartholomew than in making a Laurel and Hardy movie(the original intention was to star Frank Morgan). Leland was born in Rome to an American Father and an English Mother, so the accent probably came naturally to him. Most of NOTHING BUT TROUBLE's exceptional net profit was from it's post-war European release; it's take in the US alone wasn't as spectacular.           

Offline GenoCuddy

My review:

NOTHING BUT TROUBLE is a significantly better entry than Laurel and Hardy's previous MGM entry, AIR RAID WARDENS, but that is not saying much. I do not know why Metro Goldwyn Mayer, a studio of great prestige, could never turn out a solid comedy, with the possible exception being the Marx Brothers' A NIGHT AT THE OPERA.

The film is still muddled with flat characters, weak gags and very little to reccomend. The highlights of the film for me are Laurel and Hardy officiating a football game and the succeeding sequence where they attempt to steal steak from a lion.

David Leland, who tragically died in 1948 at the age of sixteen from sepsis, tries his best with the mediocre material, and I want to like him, however there is not enough to his character to endear me to him. Mary Boland is great, however, certainly better than she was in the previous feature I saw with her, the much maligned [and deservedly so] RKO feature DOWN TO THEIR LAST YACHT [1934].

The climax of the film, where the boys are close to plummeting to their death, was the type of comedy which was done better by Harold Lloyd in his iconic SAFETY LAST [1923], in fact both films share Sam Taylor as director.

NOTHING BUT TROUBLE is sadly another forgettable entry in a long line of comedy misfires released under the roaring lion. I enjoyed it more than the previous Laurel and Hardy MGM film, but it isn't one I would go out of my way to see again.

Let me put it this way, if it was on television, I'd give it a look, but it isnt one I'd intentionally set about watching again.