Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Pardon My Sarong (1942) - Abbott and Costello

Offline metaldams

When I started this Abbott and Costello movie journey, my impression was the majority of the early films, minus HOLD THAT GHOST and WHO DONE IT, are all interchangeable.  You know, comedy films where the comedians are comedy relief and there are romantic couples filling out the main plot and lots of musical filler.  PARDON MY SARONG is almost like that, but not quite.  Yes, there is a romantic couple and yes there is music, but both are used much better here.  The important thing is they never interfere with the comedians, as I always feel like I’m watching an Abbott and Costello comedy.

First the couple.  Robert Paige (not to be confused with Jimmy Plant), and Virginia Bruce don’t get in a complicated plot, which is a good thing.  Basically, they just meet up with Bud and Lou, go off on the island and by that point they are in on the action with Bud and Lou, not separate.  There are four musical numbers in this film and not one of them involves a sappy song to each other, which is always a plus.  Robert Paige has made out well with the thankless leading man role.  He was also in SON OF DRACULA, a film which in my opinion the couple is more interesting than the monster, the only such instance I can think of.  Virginia Bruce was a screen veteran at this point and also carries herself very well.  It’s interesting with her character in that she actually sticks up for Lou a few times when Bud mistreats him.

As for the music, in the technical sense, yes, it interrupts the comedy like in all these films, for the most part.  The first two numbers go to The Ink Spots who I must say, are pretty darn entertaining.  The tap dancing stuff is especially good.  The final two numbers are hula girl island stuff which is also entertaining because there are a ton of pretty girls.  It’s to the point where even a slight joke is made out of the pretty girls, as Virginia Bruce covers Robert Paige’s eyes.  But to lend a philosophical bent to all the girls, I’ll quote Socrates, “Hot diggity!”  One of the musical numbers they even make an excuse for Lou to interact with his island girlfriend, so the comedy team is not completely ignored.  While on the subject of pretty girls and of Stooge fan interest, earlier in the film, Lou gets a brief flirtation with a blonde - it’s Ethelreda Leopold.  So yes, there are music bits, but it’s all entertaining in my eyes.  Certainly more my style than the MGM musical stuff of last film.

The comedy itself is plentiful here and Bud and Lou are in prime form.  At the beginning of the film, we get some great interactions with William Demarest, another great supporting actor who makes a good showing for himself.  Bud and Lou taking turns being the “twin” magicians is great and Demarest and Bud confusing Lou with whether to “go ahead” or “back up” on the bus is standard word confusion that no other team does better.  Other classic bits are the baseball story at the gas station, the “stinker” routine with the native, the poisoning of the drink scene, and my favorite, the “tree of truth.”  The latter has a wonderful build up, is a great chance for both Bud and Lou to work together and has a wonderful finale which I won’t give away.  The ending of the film has a nice comic chase and there’s great island atmosphere throughout.  The volcano cave towards the end, which does have some good comedy thrown in is Universal Horror atmospheric as is the enemy of the film, the great Lionel Atwill.  His dry delivery and evil nature works in just about any film he’s in. 

So overall, this would be the best film we have discussed so far minus HOLD THAT GHOST and even there, it’s worthy to be in the same company.  A wonderful ensemble cast that compliments, not interferes, with the comedians and the comedians get plenty to do.  I wish more of these early films were like this, but this week, I must say, I got a pleasant surprise.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/06/pardon-my-sarong-1942.html

I can see some of your points. The Ink Spots are entertaining and there is a sense that Abbott and Costello are more important here compared to other early films. But besides some scenes towards the beginning, overall I find this to be a weak film.

While it is true that the romantic couples’ role is very limited, it just further frustrates me because of how badly paced the story is (seriously, what happens with the race?). Virginia Bruce defending Lou is a nice idea, but they go to the extreme with it, making Bud way more unlikeable than usual (Bud isn’t generally the nicest guy in these films, but I wouldn’t see him as the kind of person who’d try to convince people to kill themselves).

And, of course, there’s the fact that I just don’t think the majority of material here is all that funny. Glad that you were able to enjoy it, metaldams, but when people hate on the early Abbott and Costello films, this is one of the ones that I agree with.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

First off, it’s less than a day and this review already has 376 views.  How the heck did that happen?  My only theory is that the youth of America, after thinking I’m a pencil necked dingus my entire life, have finally figured out how awesome I am at the age of 40. The term “hot diggity” is about to sweep the nation.

Umbrella Sam, as far as you not finding this material funny, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.  When it comes to the plot, in the technical sense, you are right, the race just got glanced over.  I just don’t care too deeply about the plot in these forties style clown comedian comedies.  These type of films play like a variety show that lack focus by their very nature, so the comedy is what I care about and everything else is very secondary.

The thing is, when the plots are more linear and the films more focused, I do care more about plot.  Stuff like CITY LIGHTS, THE KID BROTHER, or from this era, screwball Preston Sturges type comedies, yes, the plot holes being filled in feel more important.  But these Abbott and Costello comedies just feel like a different beast to me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

A couple of more things I want to add.  PARDON MY SARONG was the second highest grossing film of 1942, only behind MRS. MINIVER, so we’re talking a very popular film in its day.

Also, as far as The Ink Spots, I knew there was some Beatles link that was driving me crazy.  My friend the search engine confirmed it.  In their very early days, meaning they were teens and known as The Quarrymen, and Stu Sutcliffe was playing bass, they recorded a song called “You’ll Be Mine.”  John wrote it as a comic song to parody the vocal style of The Ink Spots.  For us gray folks, it can be purchased on The Anthology 1 CD set and you young whippersnappers, you now know where to stream it.....or you can watch the video below.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

First off, it’s less than a day and this review already has 376 views.  How the heck did that happen?  My only theory is that the youth of America, after thinking I’m a pencil necked dingus my entire life, have finally figured out how awesome I am at the age of 40. The term “hot diggity” is about to sweep the nation.

Umbrella Sam, as far as you not finding this material funny, we’ll just have to agree to disagree.  When it comes to the plot, in the technical sense, you are right, the race just got glanced over.  I just don’t care too deeply about the plot in these forties style clown comedian comedies.  These type of films play like a variety show that lack focus by their very nature, so the comedy is what I care about and everything else is very secondary.

The thing is, when the plots are more linear and the films more focused, I do care more about plot.  Stuff like CITY LIGHTS, THE KID BROTHER, or from this era, screwball Preston Sturges type comedies, yes, the plot holes being filled in feel more important.  But these Abbott and Costello comedies just feel like a different beast to me.

If plot holes are more minor like in HOLD THAT GHOST, it generally doesn’t bother me (Abbott and Costello didn’t exactly set a high standard when it comes to interesting plots). For whatever reason, it just seems like a more major problem here to me than in most of their films.

A couple of more things I want to add.  PARDON MY SARONG was the second highest grossing film of 1942, only behind MRS. MINIVER, so we’re talking a very popular film in its day.

Also, as far as The Ink Spots, I knew there was some Beatles link that was driving me crazy.  My friend the search engine confirmed it.  In their very early days, meaning they were teens and known as The Quarrymen, and Stu Sutcliffe was playing bass, they recorded a song called “You’ll Be Mine.”  John wrote it as a comic song to parody the vocal style of The Ink Spots.  For us gray folks, it can be purchased on The Anthology 1 CD set and you young whippersnappers, you now know where to stream it.....or you can watch the video below.

Never realized there was a Beatles-Ink Spots connection. It’s been a long time since I listened to the Anthology CDs, so maybe a fresh listening session is in order.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Tony Bensley

I've had all three Beatles Anthology CD sets since the late '90s, and I must confess I never realized that this was a send up of The Ink Spots!  I've always found John's vocals and "International Health Eyeball" joke reference hilarious, though!

Regarding PARDON MY SARONG (1942), it's long been a favorite of mine among Bud and Lou's early films, and I love the musical parts, as well!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

I've had all three Beatles Anthology CD sets since the late '90s, and I must confess I never realized that this was a send up of The Ink Spots!  I've always found John's vocals and "International Health Eyeball" joke reference hilarious, though!

Regarding PARDON MY SARONG (1942), it's long been a favorite of mine among Bud and Lou's early films, and I love the musical parts, as well!

CHEERS!  [pie]

Those Anthology CD’s came out when I was in high school and the documentary, which I watched on TV, made me a fan.  In the CD liner notes, The Ink Spots do get mentioned, so check it out.

Glad you like this film, it really was a pleasant surprise.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly Van Dyke

The Island Giel Singer is Nan Wynn,a wonderful Band vocalist with Hal Kemp,Raymond Scott, Hudson-DeLange and many studio dates
including Teddy Wilson. She was also very Beautiful and got many late 30s/early 40s roles.

Offline NoahYoung

This has always been one of my favorite A&C films. Definitely their best chase ending, and I think their longest and most innovative. Much of it takes place on foot, so we are spared the process shots, etc., for the most part. But even the very ending with Lou "water-skiing" is very well done.

I was only going to comment on the music for now, but I see someone beat me to the punch talking about Nan Wynn. Her singing talents are wasted here. I still think she is the most gorgeous woman to appear in an A&C film, especially dressed in her sarong. I prefer her over the Miss Universe contestants in A&C GO TO MARS -- even Anita Eckberg. Yes, I know there was Hillary, but still.  Most of the music is forgettable, save for The Ink Spots. Tip, Tap, and Toe do a wonderful tap-dance, that I loved even as a young kid. I don't remember off-hand if the song while they are dancing, "Shout, Brother, Shout" is sung by them or The Ink Spots. The Furmanek book on their movies is no help in this case. Those who think Michael Jackson invented the moon walk need to see Tip, Tap, and Toe in this movie.

A few other things I'd like to mention, rather than rehashing the great comedy already mentioned.  TV Guide used to list this as a musical! Every other film they made they listed as a comedy, even DANCE WITH ME HENRY, where there's no comedy to be found, IMHO.  And when I was a kid, all the music was left in, but they cut out the Marco The Magician scene! I first saw that when I bought TAKE BUS, PAY LATER, one of 2 Castle Films extracts from this film. If it was good enough for an extract, I have always wondered why my local station, WPIX in NYC, cut it out.

I wished they had named Lionel Atwill "Prof. Moriarty", since he played that role the same year in Universal's SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE SECRET WEAPON. In retrospect, it would have been nice to have A&C meet Holmes and Watson, something that probably would have been done if that series hadn't ended in 1946. (A&C MEET FRANKENSTEIN, of course, wasn't made until 1948.)
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz