Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Dancing Masters (1943) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

THE DANCING MASTERS is the fourth out of six films Laurel and Hardy made at Fox and is so far the best of the lot.  Yes, there is a outside plot of two young lovers, the male selling an invisible death ray for the government (with that plot device, this film would be classic if the male lead was replaced by Bela Lugosi in Roxor mode). However, the female’s parents prefer another suitor for the daughter and he tries to take credit for the death ray.  Honestly, the plot is light, not too well developed, but also never gets in the way of the comedy.  That to me is the most important thing.  This film is not SONS OF THE DESERT in terms of plot but it doesn’t need to be.  The majority of this film is unpretentious Laurel and Hardy comedy and both Robert Bailey and Trudy Marshall are a likable presence.  Heck, the former even gets a drink splashed on his pants and gets in on the comedy a bit.

As far as comedy, the film opens up with the boys wearing funny costumes doing comic dance routines.  It’s a testament to Stan and Ollie they can be surrounded by so many pretty girls and yet their comic dancing is still interesting enough for me to pay attention.  Ollie is graceful and Stan, in a tutu and padded bust, gets some string action to make him appear light on his feet.  The whole scene climaxes with Stan getting his foot glued to the wall and Ollie setting him free while causing a giant hole in the wall.  Great comic scene.

Another good comic scenes include an auction scene for a clock taken straight out of THICKER THAN WATER.  It does nothing to improve the original and from a pure plot point of view feels thrown in randomly, but I can live with all that.  It’s just nice to see the boys pay homage to the Roach days.  We also get Stan spelling words in a funny way on a few occasions and we also get to watch the boys do some made up language while Stan poses as a foreigner selling the death ray.  Not quite as elaborate as The Three Stooges in their maharaja routine, their gibberish is still fun nonetheless.  Heck, I even like the faked chase at the end.  Usually these scenes leave me flat with the edits and what not, but between Ollie’s screams, the surreal shot of a bus on a roller coaster and the cuts to a dazed Stan getting balls thrown at his head, I enjoyed it.  There is the obligatory Abbott and Costello nod, this time a speak easy turning into a library.  Stan sees the speakeasy and Ollie doesn’t, causing comic confusion to ensue.  While nobody does that scene better than Bud and Lou, it’s still nice to watch here.

While not used as well as she was with The Marx Brothers, Margaret Dumont does appear as the mother of the leading lady.  She is fantastic in the scene where the boys are hiding under the bed and Stan is snoring.  Always a welcome presence, the way she is used in this scene makes me think she would have made a good W.C. Fields wife at some point. Ms. Dumont was a legend and always a welcome presence.  Also, be on the look out in the beginning of the film for a gangster who looks mysteriously like Robert Mitchum!

THE DANCING MASTERS is a fun film and if I have to be honest, better than the lower tier of Roach features.  The outside plot never gets sappy and intrusive and Stan and Ollie are on the screen plenty performing comedy.  Not a masterpiece but a simple pleasure and that’s a good thing.  Fox films such as THE DANCING MASTERS are much better than their reputation.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I mention Robert Bailey getting some comedy.  I should have also mentioned Trudy Marshall gets in on the classic hat switch routine.  Good stuff, seeing the other main actors feel part of the comedy at times.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

THE DANCING MASTERS is a fun film and if I have to be honest, better than the lower tier of Roach features.  The outside plot never gets sappy and intrusive and Stan and Ollie are on the screen plenty performing comedy.  Not a masterpiece but a simple pleasure and that’s a good thing.  Fox films such as THE DANCING MASTERS are much better than their reputation.
BONNIE SCOTLAND (1935) and SWISS MISS (1938), we're looking at you!  :P

Robert Bailey and Trudy Marshall do Stan and Babe a solid in THE DANCING MASTERS (1943), much better than the romantic leads in either of the above films.

In terms of cheesiness, even the rear projection climax has its Hal Roach Studios counterpart in their 1932 two reel short, COUNTY HOSPITAL. The ending is also a nod to that film.

I also don't recall any glaring out of character moments for either Stan or Ollie, which is always a huge plus. 

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

BONNIE SCOTLAND (1935) and SWISS MISS (1938), we're looking at you!  :P

Robert Bailey and Trudy Marshall do Stan and Babe a solid in THE DANCING MASTERS (1943), much better than the romantic leads in either of the above films.

In terms of cheesiness, even the rear projection climax has its Hal Roach Studios counterpart in their 1932 two reel short, COUNTY HOSPITAL. The ending is also a nod to that film.

I also don't recall any glaring out of character moments for either Stan or Ollie, which is always a huge plus. 

CHEERS!  [pie]

You’re 100% correct about COUNTY HOSPITAL.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Eh, sorry. Not a huge fan of this one. I do think it’s OK, but definitely a step down from the previous film.

My big issue is with the story itself. I don’t think it’s a good story at all. It has the same problem as the worse Abbott and Costello films in that Laurel and Hardy don’t feel that well integrated into it. Yes, they are friends with the romantic leads and try to help with selling the invention, but a good amount of time is also devoted to them trying to collect money to pay their rent and being scammed by gangsters claiming to sell insurance. The insurance angle does play somewhat of a role later in the story, but it’s a very loose connection and not worth the time devoted to the gangsters setting up the scam. I actually thought at first that the whole film would be about that.

On the plus side, Laurel and Hardy do feel like Laurel and Hardy through much of the film, though the lifted material from THICKER THAN WATER is really not changed at all from the original, the only “new” thing being Stan’s way to convince Ollie to take the money out. I’m also not particularly fond of the climax, either. Usually, I’m fine with these obviously cheap climaxes, but the fact that it doesn’t really build to much makes it feel unnecessary. The conflict has already been resolved, and it makes the decision to have these weird cuts of Stan getting hit in the head rather than just having him stuck on the bus with Ollie.

There still are funny scenes, though. Stan and Ollie getting ready for a fight, the scene where they’re stuck in a bedroom, Stan disguised as the inventor. There definitely was potential here, but it still doesn’t compare to much of the Roach films and the beginning of the movie is especially slow. The supporting cast is good enough, especially Margaret Dumont, but they just don’t have a whole lot to work with (Allan Lane as the villain has very little screen time, to the point where I’d forgotten about him when he returned for his final scene).

I can see why you like this film, metaldams. The romantic couple really isn’t all that intrusive and there still is fresh material that definitely fits Laurel and Hardy’s style. For me, though, it’s just such a jumbled mess that it’s hard for me to truly enjoy as much. JITTERBUGS, though not perfect, found a good way of mixing Laurel and Hardy with the plot so that things tied well together. Here, they’re the “supportive helpers” who just happen to have more screen time (again, much like Abbott and Costello, but they also were younger when making these kinds of films and sometimes their plots were a bit tighter). Some good laughs, but it was kind of hard to follow and just not as fun as some of the other stuff they’ve done.

6 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Sam, I found the film more enjoyable when I ignored the plot and just focused on the comedy.  A lot of these films the plot is so invasive you can’t ignore it but here it’s not the case.  The mood of THE DANCING MASTERS never gets too heavy or sentimental and while I agree the plot is a mess, that just never bothers me because of the mood.  To each their own.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

All things considered, Stan and Ollie had it pretty good at Fox (they certainly made more money). Imagine if they were stuck in the MGM assembly line — churning out more crap such as "Nothing But Trouble." Perhaps Stan protested too much.

Offline HomokHarcos

Edit: I posted my Jitterbugs review here by accident, I'll update my post.

Offline HomokHarcos

This feels like a film that had a bunch of shorts spliced together. What little plot there is is just to move the story along in between comic set pieces, like Abbott and Costello. I did enjoy the comedy bits and it was nice to see Robert Mitchum and Margaret Dumont. There is a the insurance routine recycled from The Battle of the Century and the clock routine from Thicker Than Water. The invisible ray scene, even though it doesn't really fit their style, was still amusing for me. What I noticed about these movies is that if you watch them they are enjoyable, it's only when you start thinking about them critically that you notice the issues.

Offline GenoCuddy

My review:

I absolutely LOVED DANCING MASTERS, it is the best of the Fox films I've seen thusfar and a laugh a minute riot with no down spots. From seeing Stan and Ollie in their instructors' costumes to Stan's malapropisms reaching their zenith to a hilarious bit with the boys misunderstanding a doorbell for a telephone, I just could not stop laughing. In fact, I haven't laughed this much since I last watched SONS OF THE DESERT [1933].

The boys are in top form here and this film feels the closest in spirit to their work at Roach than any of the previous Fox features I've seen, even lifting a scene direct from one of their finest two reelers.

It was great too to have Margaret Dumont, most known as a Marx Brothers foil, as the bewildered wife of Briggs' character and seeing Allan "Rocky" Lane trading his cowboy hat for a pencil mustache was a delight. Bob Bailey is much better in this than he was in JITTERBUGS, and Trudy Marshall is gorgeous.

I went in to this expecting another routine, lackluster musical comedy, but this one truly surprised and surpassed my expectations. Easily my favorite of all the post-Roach features I've seen since starting this project. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND 1943's THE DANCING MASTERS, as five star hilarity. Haven't had this much fun in years.

Offline metaldams

My review:

I absolutely LOVED DANCING MASTERS, it is the best of the Fox films I've seen thusfar and a laugh a minute riot with no down spots. From seeing Stan and Ollie in their instructors' costumes to Stan's malapropisms reaching their zenith to a hilarious bit with the boys misunderstanding a doorbell for a telephone, I just could not stop laughing. In fact, I haven't laughed this much since I last watched SONS OF THE DESERT [1933].

The boys are in top form here and this film feels the closest in spirit to their work at Roach than any of the previous Fox features I've seen, even lifting a scene direct from one of their finest two reelers.

It was great too to have Margaret Dumont, most known as a Marx Brothers foil, as the bewildered wife of Briggs' character and seeing Allan "Rocky" Lane trading his cowboy hat for a pencil mustache was a delight. Bob Bailey is much better in this than he was in JITTERBUGS, and Trudy Marshall is gorgeous.

I went in to this expecting another routine, lackluster musical comedy, but this one truly surprised and surpassed my expectations. Easily my favorite of all the post-Roach features I've seen since starting this project. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND 1943's THE DANCING MASTERS, as five star hilarity. Haven't had this much fun in years.

I know based on my review I mentioned really enjoying this one, but your review made it so I want to revisit it within the next week.  Thanks!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

My least favorite of the Malcolm St. Clair-directed Fox features — certainly the most disjointed in terms of plot — but an agreeable 63 minutes with Laurel and Hardy. Memorable supporting cast to boot. The Boys obviously had a good working relationship with St. Clair, which was reflected in all their Fox productions. In stark contrast, Stan and Ollie had compatible directors at MGM (Edward Sedgwick and Sam Taylor) and we know how bad those films turned out.

Though watchable, the second-generation print Fox Home Entertainment used for "The Dancing Masters" looks the worst for wear — lacking the sharpness of the other five Laurel and Hardy DVD releases. A Blu-ray restoration is long overdue.

6/10

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Motion Picture Herald: "What the Picture Did for Me" (February 19, 1944)

Offline Allen Champion

I just can't jump on the Revisionist Band Wagon for "Those Fox People."  I 'd still rather view the weakest Roach films like "Bonnie Scotland" or "Twice Two," than subject myself to the best of the Foxes.  (JITTERBUGS)  But that's just me.    [pie]
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline metaldams

I just can't jump on the Revisionist Band Wagon for "Those Fox People."  I 'd still rather view the weakest Roach films like "Bonnie Scotland" or "Twice Two," than subject myself to the best of the Foxes.  (JITTERBUGS)  But that's just me.    [pie]

I get about one minute’s worth of pleasure from “Twice Two,” which I otherwise find dreadful.  The best Fox films I find at least have a basic, general level of entertainment.

Roach overall I like better than Fox, easily.  But throw me in the camp of best Fox better than worst Roach.  Now if we’re talking the two MGM features - that’s another story.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Though some disagree (historian William K. Everson considered "Jitterbugs" the best of Laurel and Hardy's non-Roach films), I always found "The Flying Deuces" superior to the Fox and MGM releases. Since it was an independent production with Roach's blessing (RKO handled the distribution but never owned the copyright), the film did not have a rigid house style. As a result, it was the only non-Roach feature in which Stan and Ollie maintained a fair amount of creative control.