Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Jitterbugs (1943) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

JITTERBUGS would be the third of six films Laurel and Hardy made at Fox.  There are people who consider it the greatest film the boys made at Fox and Oliver Hardy himself placed it in his top five favorite Laurel and Hardy films!  My verdict is that it is so far the best of the post Roach material and an enjoyable forties studio comedy, but still very different than the features at Roach.

What makes JITTERBUGS different than the Roach films is, well, I just plain miss Mae Busch, Jimmy Finlayson, Charlie Hall and crew.  This time the boys are up against straight gangsters and while it is not too bad in its own right, the lack of comic characters make it a much plainer world than the world of Roach.  Also, most of the comedy is very plot driven, name me an all time stand out gag in this film.  The best I can do is the opening scene where a donkey pushes the car instead of Stan and the use of gas pills against the gangsters.  The two man band gadget is also good.  Pleasant stuff, but hardly their best gags.  JITTERBUGS is a pleasant studio comedy that could have almost been done by anyone.

Notice I said “almost.”  There is a reason why Oliver Hardy considers this one of his favorite films, and it is because he is damn good in it.  He is great as the carny for the gas pills and perfect masquerading as southern gentleman “Col. Watterson Bixby.”  Oliver gets to be his natural southern self - charming, a bit of a lush, a bit gentleman, and completely entertaining.  It is a fine performance and the highlight of JITTERBUGS.  Too bad Stan simply dresses in drag when his turn to masquerade comes around.  He also masquerades as someone from Boston.  Wouldn’t England make more sense?  So yeah, a great showcase for Oliver Hardy.

The plot moves along fine enough, the couple are actually pretty good and don’t get sappy like in so many of these films.  Vivian Blaine, leading lady, does get a few musical numbers in - not bad if that’s your thing but to Iron Maiden fans like me, we just want comedy.  But yeah, both Ms. Blaine and leading man Bob Bailey do fine in their roles. 

A perfectly fine way to spend 74 minutes and a nice showcase for Oliver Hardy to stretch out a little - that’s my main impression of JITTERBUGS.  If you’re looking for a prime example of Laurel and Hardy’s art, start elsewhere, but this should be a fine film for most seasoned fans.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Honestly, I think it’s a good thing that we decided to go through the entire filmography of Laurel and Hardy instead of just stopping at Roach because it means that we get to see a film like this. JITTERBUGS was a film that kept my attention most of the way through and one that I found legitimately entertaining.

Which is not to say that it’s entirely perfect. None of the songs are particularly memorable and there is the occasional missed comic opportunity (Stan looking at the “Out of order” sign and not making a gag out of it comes to mind-think the “Elevator out of order” gag in BLOCK-HEADS).

Honestly, what I really like about this film is the story itself. It kept me interested and I kept wanting to see what was going to happen next. Bob Bailey (best known for playing the title character on the radio drama, YOURS TRULY JOHNNY DOLLAR) and Vivian Blaine both get to play well-written characters who have difficulty trusting each other. Bailey plays a con man-type character, but he’s one who still does show signs of emotional conflict throughout the film, so it’s not like he’s a totally unsympathetic jerk who gets the girl in the end anyway. While it is true that there are no Roach stock players, it actually is kind of interesting to see them put up against these more straight gangsters, kind of like how it’s interesting to see them interact with a fantasy world of stock players in BABES IN TOYLAND. It’s different, sure, and I still do think that the Roach players were the ones who truly belonged in most Laurel and Hardy films, but different doesn’t necessarily mean it’s bad.

Actually, that’s kind of the reason I like this film. It’s different, but still good. Getting to see Oliver act as a character as part of a plan is actually really interesting to see, a chance to see what he could do outside of the “Oliver” persona (as opposed to ZENOBIA, where he kind of drifts back and forth between his Oliver persona for no real reason). They even get some really good emotional scenes out of him. The scene where he tells Vivian Blaine that Bailey has abandoned them is done very well, better than any of self-pitying scenes MGM used in AIR RAID WARDENS to try to get the same effect.

There are obvious signs, too, that the filmmakers here have an understanding of the Stan and Ollie personas, right from the instant Oliver first says “well, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten me into” at the beginning of the film. I genuinely enjoyed a good amount of the comedy scenes in this film. Among the comedy scenes I really enjoyed were the donkey pushing the cart, Ollie trying to explain the letter plan to Ollie, the rocks falling on to Ollie when he tries to knock out the gangster, Stan not understanding when he’s being flirted with. Heck, I even enjoyed the whole dancing bit that’s used as a way to knock out the other gangsters. While I was pretty indifferent to Stan’s whole drag act through most of the film, that was actually a really fun way to incorporate it.

Now, of course, there still are elements that are not entirely representative of Stan and Ollie’s comedy, the most obvious being Stan and Ollie’s two-man band, which was a type of gag Buster Keaton might of used (the director, Malcolm St. Clair, co-directed some of Keaton’s classic silent shorts). I’m still fascinated by that and some of the other untypical gags, though, and there very rarely are scenes of the entire world simply treating Stan and Ollie as brainless idiots. Again, this is something that’s different, but something that’s still good.

In the end, JITTERBUGS is no WAY OUT WEST or SONS OF THE DESERT, but is still a well-paced comedy film with an interesting story and funny moments that makes me want to check it out again some time in the future. Sure, I do wish that the post-Roach films were more like the Roach ones, but the fact that a film like this exists shows that there were ways to work around the system and provide a good balance.

8 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Glad you liked this one, Sam.  Yes, I too am glad we’ve continued Laurel and Hardy - can’t believe there’s only five films left.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I liked the very beginning of this movie a lot when it was Stan and Ollie together on the road. It was almost like seeing Laurel and Hardy return to their two reel days. After the romantic couple are introduced I think the movie starts to decline. The whole plot got convoluted to me and I had a difficult time following what was going on. It is nice seeing Oliver Hardy play the southern gentleman, it is his moment in a Laurel and Hardy movie to play a different type of character like Stan Laurel did in a Chump at Oxford.

Offline GenoCuddy

Here are my thoughts on the picture:

While not a laugh out loud comedy like GREAT GUNS, this was a better film than Laurel and Hardy's previous Fox outing, A-HAUNTING WE WILL GO. This is Ollie's movie, and he shines in this film and I found his colonel act positively endearing. JITTERBUGS is also much better than AIR RAID WARDENS, which they made for MGM earlier in the year.

The supporting cast acquits themselves nicely, but there aren't any true standout supporting players in this for my money.

Though this is better than their previous two films, make no mistake, JITTERBUGS is still a middle of the road Laurel and Hardy vehicle which feels much like a later Marx Brothers MGM where the boys must carry the film amidst weak supporting players, draining musical numbers and weak romantic leads.

Its a pleasant way to waste a Saturday afternoon, but nothing more.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

My verdict is that it is so far the best of the post Roach material and an enjoyable forties studio comedy, but still very different than the features at Roach.

Excellent review.  I revisited "Jitterbugs" last week and it holds up remarkably well — perhaps the only Fox feature that's really an "A" picture. The production values are quite handsome and it's a refreshing change of pace for Stan and Ollie. I used to believe "The Bullfighters" was the team's best Fox comedy, but "Jitterbugs" has a little more going for it. Film historian William K. Everson called the film "an oasis in the desert of their current mediocrity" and, for the most part, he was right.

8/10