Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Keep ‘Em Flying (1941) - Abbott and Costello

Offline metaldams

Watch KEEP ‘EM FLYING in the link above

KEEP ‘EM FLYING was the fourth Abbott and Costello film in a ten month period in 1941.  These films were between 80 - 90 minutes, so if they seem a bit formulaic for the next few years, it’s understandable since Universal felt the need to crank them out at that pace.  1942, with a little help from MGM, would also see four films!  As far as the formula, it’s romance, music and comedy all hodgepodged together with no element lasting long enough in the film to gain any consistent momentum.  To add further to the formula, pre U.S. official involvement in World War II, three out of these four movies were peacetime draft military films.  Previously, we had the Army and Navy featured, now it’s the time for The Air Corp.  We get the scene of the officer, camera glued to him in close up, talking up The Air Corp and a big musical number with dancing servicemen and women shaped like a “v” for victory.  The volunteer effort is really being ramped up and consider the release date was 11/28/41 - nine days before Pearl Harbor.  RIDE ‘EM COWBOY was delayed in production to get KEEP ‘EM FLYING in theaters.  If they waited a week and a half longer to release KEEP ‘EM FLYING, it no longer would have been a peacetime draft film.

The straight dramatic plot is, let’s just say, not to my taste.  It’s a cliched plot of a bad boy, played by Dick Foran, wooing over the pretty girl, played by Carol Bruce by (spoiler alert if you can’t already guess) doing a brave heroic deed to show he has a heart of gold.  His worthiness is redeemed.  That’s about it.  Like everything else in the movie, the plot doesn’t sustain enough because the music or comedy takes over, but the plot is the part I cared about the least here.  Really a shame because in HOLD THAT GHOST, it’s quite obvious Bud and Lou can sustain a feature without having to rely on cliched love stories.  If anything, there was comic potential for a feature completely missed here.  Bud and Lou fall for identical twins, both played by Martha Raye.  There is confusion as Lou doesn’t realize they’re twins.  Some gags are done with this but all is revealed to Lou mid film.  This is a plot that had feature potential and Martha Raye was a fine comedienne in her own right who could have easily carried this plot along with Bud and Lou.

Concerning the music, I suppose Carol Bruce has a pleasant voice, but it’s really not my style.  Really, me reviewing her musically is like asking a person who digs show tunes to understand the majesty of an Iron Maiden concert.  It ain’t happening.   Martha Raye’s singing is a little more my style as she hits those loud blue notes and those blue notes musicians were doing back then lead to rock ‘n’ roll.  So yeah, Martha Raye is my favorite singer here, but take my music criticism for what it’s worth.

As far as the comedy, most of it is good.  The scene ordering the food was done previously by Laurel and Hardy on a couple of occasions.  Ollie is somewhat more cultured than Bud and Stan more pantomime than Lou.  Bud and Lou, especially Bud, are just an explosion that suddenly goes off.  I dig both styles and Bud Abbott really excels in scenes like this.  The whole umpire/baseball bat scene at the beginning is a nice mechanical gag Bud and Lou pull off real well.  The scene in the cave with Lou getting the scare reactions - at least they learned one good thing from HOLD THAT GHOST - may be my favorite part of the film along with the scene where they’re ordering food with the twins.  Scare comedy and Lou Costello are like peanut butter and jelly, or Martha Raye kisses and burnt toast.  She really is fantastic too even if I wish more was written for her.  The only thing, comedy wise, I don’t like - again - is the airplane scene with the long shots and reactions. 

It’s been a while since I’ve seen most of these films but I have a feeling a lot of these films until the mid forties will have the same tone -disorganized films with really good comedians I’d like to see more of.  I hope a few of these films surprise me, but we shall see.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com/2018/05/keep-em-flying-1941.html

Not a whole lot to add to what I already said. Though I do think this is still better than BUCK PRIVATES, I can also still see why that film is a lot more iconic given the music, compared to this film where the only decent number is a rip-off of one from BUCK PRIVATES.

I have not liked Dick Foran in the few films I’ve seen him in. Outside of how similar his voice is to so many other singers of the time, he’s just so often cast as egotistical characters that I have a hard time rooting for. Even though I speak a bit higher of him in this review than I did in my PRIVATE BUCKAROO review, I do still find him pretty annoying here.

Otherwise, not much more to say. A fun film with great comedy and some boring elements.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Shemp_Diesel

It's an early A & C film, so it's got the good elements (most of them being Bud & Lou and a fine comedic actress Martha Raye) & then you have the singing and dancing and romantic subplots, where--if you're watching with a fast forward button--are easy enough to get through. I would probably rate this in the same neighborhood as One Night in the Tropics or a Ride 'Em Cowboy.

A good movie where you wish there was less mush & more comedy stuff. Btw, the cafe scene here I would say is just as great as the later redux they did on the tv show (go on, order something)....

7/10....
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline NoahYoung

Just a few things to add...

Carol Bruce butchers "I'm Getting Sentimental Over You", Tommy Dorsey's signature tune. To be fair, it's not entirely her fault. There is no Tommy Dorsey orchestra to accompany her. It must have been the Universal house band. And this is a ballad that they turned into an up-tempo number. Sometimes that works -- but not with this song. Dorsey never recorded it with a vocalist. Sinatra, who spent about 2 years (1940-1942) with the band, only sang it in 1961 on his Dorsey tribute album, I REMEMBER TOMMY. This is how it should be sung, folks!

BTW, here we have Carol Bruce. In PARDON MY SARONG we get Virginia Bruce. Too many Bruces to keep track of. Where's Nigel when you need him?  :laugh: How about Jay Bruce, who retired from Major League Baseball last year after a cup of coffee with the Yankees?

Individual comedy scenes are funny, include one of my all-time favorite routines of theirs, "Go Ahead and Order Something." I find this version much better than from the "Hungry" episode of their TV show. Not to say that the latter is by any means bad -- I just prefer the younger version of the boys doing the routines.

This was the second film of their "Dick Foran Trilogy", which already gives it one strike against it. Add the fact that there are not one, but three scenes involving process shots and doubles (2 in the airplane, one on the runaway torpedo.) This was not the essence of A&C's comedy. I wanna hear funny patter/double-talk routines.

At the end of the day, my least favorite of their films made from 1940 - 1945, which I consider to be the first phase of a 3-phase career in films. More on that later.

Funny, but both TV Guide, and the Mulholland book, said that this was "one of their best." Not!
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz