Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Air Raid Wardens (1943) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x46kn0j

Watch the first half in link above.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x46kx0e

Watch the second half in the link above.

In the forties, Fox was the main studio for Laurel and Hardy, yet they found time to do two movies for MGM as well.  This week’s film, AIR RAID WARDENS, is the first of those two MGM films.  MGM did a few classic comedies over the years but more often than not, major established comedians like Buster Keaton and The Marx Brothers would come to MGM and do films with a lot of bells and whistles outside of the comedy and also a softening of the comic characters themselves.  I’m sad to say in Laurel and Hardy’s case, their two MGM films are about the worse movies they ever made.  The problems stated above are glaring here, even more so than the other comedians mentioned.

As far as the bells and whistles outside of comedy, there are no musical numbers or outside romantic interests.  Instead, it’s Nazis.  The latter part of the film, in fact, is void of many comic routines and has the boys chasing down Nazi spies.  We get one cool but brief gag where Stan shoots an apple off Ollie’s head, causing the apple to land on the mouth of a painting of Hitler behind them.  Other than that, things are played very straight and straight Nazis are not a comic matter.  If the Nazis in this film were buffoons the comedy would have worked much better.  As an example, The Three Stooges had comic buffoon Nazis and no matter how bad Nazis were, the Stooge films always felt like comedies as a result.  With the Stooges, it was, “Mein furher, vere Nazis, vee have no brains,” and it was funny.  These Nazis in AIR RAID WARDENS are dead serious and want to blow up that plant and that is the main focus towards the end.  Not funny.

The comedy before the Nazis does not work for the most part.  The dog in the gymnasium scene is just annoying and could have been done by any comedian.  The characters that are victims of wallpaper paste or bad medical procedure are way too straight, a reflection of the fact MGM does not have a roster of good comic character actors to play off of like Hal Roach did.  Not only that, but they constantly degrade and talk about the stupidity of Stan and Ollie.  The problem is, Stan and Ollie agree with them.  The self pitying scenes shown here are true low points in the entire Laurel and Hardy filmography. 

However, we do get one comic character actor in AIR RAID WARDENS in the role of Edgar Kennedy!  He kind of, sort of saves the day.  There are two scenes with him.  The first is in the boy’s shop and the makings of some comic retaliation are a brewin’.  The proceedings are starting to feel like a Laurel and Hardy film, yet before any real momentum can build, the comedy gets interrupted for plot.  Bummer.  Later on in the film, there is an extended encounter with Edgar and it’s pretty good.  Finally, good comedy and definitely the highlight.  The problem is the scene ends with Edgar framing the boys as drunks and gets them fired as air raid wardens.  This causes the self pity of the comedians to begin.  The comic momentum we just had was lost completely, never to be returned to.

Yeah, a film where MGM did not know what to do with their comedians.  If you’re a Laurel and Hardy fan, check it out if you haven’t already for historical interest.  I’ll at least say the film never bored me, as the strange writing and lack of understanding Stan and Ollie’s characters held my interest in addition to the WWII time machine on offer.  However, if you’re new to Laurel and Hardy, stay away until much later.  The next Laurel and Hardy film we’ll discuss is miles and miles better than this.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Currently traveling, so I’m going to try getting around to reviewing this next weekend, maybe a bit later.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Umbrella Sam

While I do agree that their general output with Buster Keaton was a big downgrade in quality, I do think that MGM’s reputation with major comedians is a bit unfair, as I do like their films with Abbott and Costello and the Marx Brothers (yes, even the later ones). While, yes, these films did often involve a softening of the comic characters, they did generally have a good idea for story structure that might make these films good introductions to those who are more into dramatic films and wouldn’t even give these comedies a chance. Heck, I even recall NOTHING BUT TROUBLE being OK the one time I saw it.

Now, AIR RAID WARDENS, on the other hand, is an example of the type of film that gave MGM this reputation. Granted, I still don’t think it’s as terrible as people make it out to be, but when I first saw GREAT GUNS, this was the type of film I was expecting to see. Right away, you know something is wrong when they introduce the characters with this weird narrator and they use the odd animations of signs to express the disapproval of Laurel and Hardy entering the service. The entire world here treats Laurel and Hardy as idiots in the same annoying way that they make fun of them in PUTTING PANTS ON PHILIP, and at least that has the excuse of being made before Laurel and Hardy’s comic personas were officially established.

As far as comedy goes, it’s hit-and-miss. The meeting scene is boring and goes on for way too long. I do like the scene of them trying to help Norton, though the gag reused from BLOCK-HEADS does end up making me wish that I was just watching that instead. The scene where Stan is signing for his equipment is surprisingly slow and tedious (considering he used it to better effect in the Roach era), though the scene where they mistake the telephone for their alarm and door is amusing. Edgar Kennedy’s reaction to his puzzle falling apart is funny, but otherwise he seems a lot more tired here compared to his older Laurel and Hardy appearances (possibly the effect of age, but more likely just the result of bad direction). There are good ideas in here, but they seem forced, which they shouldn’t be considering Laurel and Hardy have done stuff like this before to great effect.

I kind of see what they’re going for with the self-pitying scenes. They do seem like a way to add more dramatic weight to Stan and Ollie’s characters, especially considering Stan, who isn’t the one to do all the talking, is the one who delivers the big speech about how they’ve been rejected by everybody. The problem is that we know that this isn’t how Stan and Ollie would react to this kind of thing. At least in NOTHING BUT TROUBLE, the self-pitying makes more sense as their run-ins with royalty were rare and generally unpleasant (even in THE BOHEMIAN GIRL, they don’t necessarily get a happy ending). However, when rejected or made fun of in the Roach films, they would pick themselves up and keep trying, very rarely feeling sorry for themselves. Heck, even in GREAT GUNS they don’t seem to mind being demoted to the sanitation department by the film’s end.

The supporting cast is...forgettable. The romantic couple is there but doesn’t do a ton. The only real noteworthy addition is Edgar Kennedy, and like I said, his appearance is underwhelming. Oh, yeah, and Stooge supporting player Phil Van Zandt is in it too.

AIR RAID WARDENS does have some funny moments, but it’s so forced and cluttered that it’s hard to recommend even as a historical curiosity. Not horrible, and I at least laughed more here than I did at BERTH MARKS, but AIR RAID WARDENS definitely shows that we are far from the golden era of Laurel and Hardy films.

4 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"Air Raid Wardens" finds Stan and Ollie submerged in the cold rigidness of MGM's studio system. The boys deliver a few laughs in this wartime effort, but the fun and spontaneity of the Hal Roach days are long gone.

4/10

Offline HomokHarcos

MGM never knew how to use comedians properly. Many great comedy acts such as the Marx Brothers, Buster Keaton, Our Gang, The Three Stooges (with Ted Healy) and Laurel and Hardy made their worst movies at the company. That's mainly because rather than leaving them to their own devices their tried to force the house style. Air Raid Warden suffers from the same problem. It was common for MGM to put a low point in their movies where you feel bad for the protagonist, that was the case with the Marx Brothers movies, here it's just ridiculous. After failing at their job we are supposed to feel bad for Stan and Ollie. That goes completely against their typical style of comedy. We are supposed to laugh at them messing things up! That's what many of their greatest movies such as The Finishing Touch, The Music Box and Helpmates are about. Now instead of laughing at them we are supposed to cry for them? That's my main issue. Then when that's over it turns into a drama movie where Stan and Ollie foil a Nazi plot, that's not even played for laughs.

Offline GenoCuddy

I didn't have too much to say about this one, but here are my thoughts regardless:

I was none too impressed with AIR RAID WARDENS, it presents the boys dumber than usual and rarely achieves more than mediocrity. The laughs were few and far between and I am convinced now more than ever that MGM did not understand comedy. From the ill-conceived pre-code talkies of Buster Keaton to the plot heavy later comedies of the Marx Brothers, MGM was career suicide for comedians.

The film is not without its moments, however, as I did enjoy the bit with Stan and Ollie in bed annoyed by a ringing telephone, the mishaps with Stan's dog at the meeting and the sequence with Edgar Kennedy was a highlight providing a perfect swansong to the old guard of film comedy, it was great to see the boys mix it up with Mr. Slow Burn one last time.

All in all a mediocre experience, one I won't revisit any time soon.