Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A-Haunting We Will Go (1942) - Laurel and Hardy & Dante the Magician

Offline metaldams

http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/haunting.html
http://www.lordheath.com/menu1_68.html

https://m.ok.ru/video/30262758008

Watch A-HAUNTING WE WILL GO in the link above.  However, I don’t know much about this website, so to be 100% risk free, buy on blu-ray or DVD.

A-HAUNTING WE WILL GO is the second of six Fox films Laurel and Hardy made and for this one time, they share top billing with Dante the Magician.  As a 68 minute b Hollywood film, it’s perfectly acceptable entertainment for a Saturday morning if you don’t think too much.  The production values are slick, there are enough interesting actors and this thing moves fast enough.  As a Laurel and Hardy vehicle, it’s lacking.  Really, what we have is part comedy, part magic act, part gangster film, very small part romance, and towards the end, a Charlie Chan Fox mystery without Charlie Chan.  When you try to pigeonhole so much into 68 minutes, obviously nothing is done to its full potential.

The main reason we’re here is Laurel and Hardy.  In the beginning of the film, Ollie utters the line, “Here’s another nice PREDICAMENT you’ve gotten me into.”  The variation of a famous phrase showing we’re not in standard Laurel and Hardy territory anymore.  There are a lot of parts where they are not involved as we have a lot of gangsters in a very convoluted plot I will not even attempt to share.  As far as the boys, the highlights include them being duped into the machine “inflato.”  It is a machine that counterfeits small dollar bills into larger dollar bills.  The boys are suckers and I am shocked, shocked I tell you, that Oliver Hardy is ignorant on sound monetary policy.  He goes into a heartfelt speech about saving the world with this machine by printing a lot of money for everyone.  Ollie, sadly, just looks plain ignorant.  A very bizarre scene that gets livened up with the presence of rumored almost Stooge, Mantan Moreland.

Another highlight would be the rope scene, which is fun, and the phone booth illusion scene where Ollie gets confused by the multiple Stan and Ollies.  The last gag to close the film, a mini Stan popping out of an egg and crying while Ollie laughs is fun too.  Come to think of it, all the Stan and Ollie highlights, far from their best stuff but pleasant, all involve magic.  For the record, I do like them in their Arabian costumes.  I also want to mention Stan and Ollie are going around backstage chanting, “Oh Charlie.”  An old routine that was just done by Abbott and Costello in HOLD THAT GHOST the year before this.  For the second film in a row, Laurel and Hardy are being influenced by the new kids on the block.

The gangster stuff isn’t exactly WHITE HEAT and don’t even try to get me to review the mystery element in the end - the mystery genre has never been a strong point with me with some exceptions.  It’s all convoluted but again, it moves along fast.  Interesting seeing Elisha Cook, Jr. one year removed from THE MALTESE FALCON (and thirty years before encountering the mighty BLACULA).  I should mention Dante the Magician since he’s co top billed.  He’s pleasant enough and the magic stuff is OK, pleasant b movie fodder.  Actually, that’s what this whole film is, pleasant b movie fodder.  It breezes by nicely, just don’t expect prime Laurel and Hardy.  The Fox films, from memory, do improve from here as Stan slowly gets more control.  Before we get to the next Fox film, we get an MGM film.  Hold on tight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

It's been a few years since I've viewed this film, but here's a few observations:

This is the first of the boys' "Fedora" flicks, as pointed out by LAUREL AND HARDY: THE MAGIC BEHIND THE MOVIES author Randy Skretvedt.  To be fair, they were the style for men (Especially cinematic gangsters!) in the 1940s.  They'll be present in every L&H Feature through their major studio swansong, THE BULLFIGHTERS (1945).

While not up to their Hal Roach oeuvre, for me, A-HAUNTING WE WILL GO (1942), has enough bright moments to still make for worthwhile viewing. The title is rather misleading, though.

Yes, the "Inflato" bit is just way beyond ridiculous and embarrassing. Otherwise, the magic bits are among the film's highlights.

I do agree that the Laurel and Hardy 20th Century Fox output does somewhat improve for the remaining films, while never quite approaching the quality of their Hal Roach Studios heyday.  However, their MGM made AIR RAID WARDENS (1943) is pretty much absolute garbage, as far as I'm concerned.  I'm amongst the minority who actually somewhat enjoys their MGM follow-up, NOTHING BUT TROUBLE (1944), however.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline HomokHarcos

Laurel and Hardy's first two Fox films are the strangest. They are uncharacteristic for the duo, and feel more like being shoehorned into a film. That's not to say this isn't a fun B movie, but it doesn't feel like a Laurel and Hardy. The title implies a horror comedy in the style of Abbott and Costello, instead it is more like a Charlie Chan mystery made by the same unit at Fox. My favorite part was with the inflato, as the premise sounds funny with them not being able to pay because they got duped. It's almost completely forgotten right away, as they get rescued by Dante the Magician. If the movie focused on them three it would probably be better, but instead a lot of the focus is on the mystery portion that is played straight. I would recommend watching Laurel and Hardy's Roach work if you want to see better comedy, or to watch Fox's own Charlie Chan movies for the mystery.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Laurel and Hardy's follow-up to the mediocre "Great Guns" saddles the immortal comedians with depressing material that straitjackets their unique artistry. A product of Fox's rigid studio factory, "A-Haunting We Will Go" finds The Boys playing second fiddle to a low-grade murder mystery. Stan and Ollie's remaining Fox vehicles were a marked improvement — thanks in part to Malcolm St. Clair's sympathetic direction.

3/10

Offline Steveb

On revisiting A-HAUNTING WE WILL GO in 1984, I remember thinking "Wait a minute-THIS is L&H's worst film, not THE BIG NOISE!". I have a theory that another reason the Mal St. Clair films are better than the first two Foxes, besides St. Clair being director, was that Fox ended all of it's regular B series in 1942, knew that they were going to close the unit, and stopped micro-managing Stan and Ollie, just happy to get something in the can without having to re-market them as another Abbott and Costello.

Offline Tony Bensley

On revisiting A-HAUNTING WE WILL GO in 1984, I remember thinking "Wait a minute-THIS is L&H's worst film, not THE BIG NOISE!". I have a theory that another reason the Mal St. Clair films are better than the first two Foxes, besides St. Clair being director, was that Fox ended all of it's regular B series in 1942, knew that they were going to close the unit, and stopped micro-managing Stan and Ollie, just happy to get something in the can without having to re-market them as another Abbott and Costello.
I thought it was more in 1944-45 that Fox was winding down their "B" series unit, but true that Laurel & Hardy's post "A-Haunting" Fox Features were less dreary, in any case.

It's been a few years now, but I recall actually liking THE BIG NOISE (1944), which includes my favorite Post-Roach Laurel & Hardy film ending!

For me, AIR RAID WARDENS (1943) is actually the boys' real cinematic nadir, although it took a few viewings for me to reach that conclusion. In my opinion, it simply epitomizes everything that was wrong with their Post-Roach output.  Even the Edgar Kennedy scenes fell a bit flat, as I recall.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Steveb

I thought it was more in 1944-45 that Fox was winding down their "B" series unit, but true that Laurel & Hardy's post "A-Haunting" Fox Features were less dreary, in any case.

It's been a few years now, but I recall actually liking THE BIG NOISE (1944), which includes my favorite Post-Roach Laurel & Hardy film ending!

For me, AIR RAID WARDENS (1943) is actually the boys' real cinematic nadir, although it took a few viewings for me to reach that conclusion. In my opinion, it simply epitomizes everything that was wrong with their Post-Roach output.  Even the Edgar Kennedy scenes fell a bit flat, as I recall.

CHEERS!  [pie]
The Fox "Charlie Chan" and "Michael Shayne" series had been discontinued by 1943, Jane Withers left or was dropped, and B unit head Sol Wurtzel only produced four films that year including JITTERBUGS. Fox announced they were ending B production in August 1943, ignoring the fact that they still had some coming that they were probably contractually obligated to produce.Yes, Stan saying "We're not smart like other people" in AIR RAID WARDENS is really painful!

Offline GenoCuddy

Here is my review of A-Haunting We Will Go:

A-HAUNTING WE WILL GO, it is a weaker effort than GREAT GUNS, not nearly as many laughs as its predecessor.

I was disappointed too, to find out it wasn't a haunted house plot with the boys, instead its a gangster plot that goes awry when the boys get mixed up in a magic act, very misleading title.

However, the film does have its moments, and it was great to see Elisha Cook Jr. as one of the gangsters [as he tended to do] and the great Mantan Moreland as a porter.

The highlight of the film, for me, was the telephone booth bit where multiple Stan and Ollies pass through two booths, while Ollie looks on. It is a marvelous slice of movie magic that must be seen to be believed.

The film seemed to be pushing Dante The Magician as a screen star and Laurel and Hardy at times take a backseat to his conjuring, however as a fan of old school magicians, I have no qualms about it and it is great to have a film record of his act.

The sight of Stan and Ollie in Arabian garb was also a sight gag in and of itself, with Stan making a not so subtle crack at Ollie's girth.

The gangsters do make dopes out of the boys, so the oft-told critique of the Fox features dumbing down the boys is at least warranted in this film.

Sheila Ryan was sexy as she was in the previous feature and there was just enough of her without being distracting. My one issue with her character is that by the third act, they shoehorned in a romance plot with one of Dante's associates, that comes too little too late.

The end gag was great and another one that lends itself to movie magic.

All in all, a weaker effort than GREAT GUNS, but a pleasant diversion nonetheless, however it may not be one I watch again anytime soon.

Offline GenoCuddy

So I just rewatched Laurel and Hardy's later-era entry, A-HAUNTING WE WILL GO, for the first time since my first viewing on this date last year and, I'll tell you what, I enjoyed it a whole lot better this time around. I am still disappointed that the film does not live up to what its title implies, but aside from that I quite enjoyed myself.

Having now watched all of the 20th Century-Fox Charlie Chan mysteries, especially those starring Sidney Toler, it was great seeing familiar props (they got a lot of mileage out of that Egyptian coffin) and even the great Mantan Moreland share a scene with the boys. The horror element of the title is not totally without merit, the film's basic plot revolves around the boys delivering a coffin, after all and the magic as performed by third billed Dante The Magician (as well as the effects wizards at Fox) adds its own layer of supernatural fun to the proceedings.

Dante is a kind warm presence and not a bad actor for his part, even if it isn't much of a stretch, I particularly enjoyed his scenes with the boys as well as his first, which sees him performing some simple slight of hand for some amused children (one of which is the future star of MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, Terry Moore). Don Costello was fine as the crooked doctor, however it makes one think of how Warner Oland would have tackled such a role had he lived beyond 1938. Elisha Cook, Jr. was perfectly cold as a gangster and sexy Sheila Ryan provides the film's tantalizing eye candy.

A few choice sequences include the boys performing a neat magical bit where multiples of themselves pass through a pair of phone booths and their assistance of Dante's Indian rope trick where Stan climbs it while Ollie plays snake charmer. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I dug Laurel and Hardy's middle eastern garb, the most memorable image from this forgotten item in their long filmography.

Make no mistake, this is still a ''B'' movie, but in typical Fox fashion is still beautifully produced and photographed. It doesn't quite live up to its title, but has enough supernatural elements that should prove satisfactory for anyone programming an evening of vintage Halloween fare and pairs nicely with any number of Abbott and Costello horror comedies. It isn't first rate Laurel and Hardy, but is still pleasant, funny and breezy (at only an hour) enough for a casual evening's entertainment.

Offline metaldams

Geno, you made me want to revisit this one for the first time since reviewing it.  Nice review.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Motion Picture Herald: "What the Picture Did for Me" (February 6, 1943)