Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A Chump At Oxford (1940) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/chump.html
http://www.lordheath.com/menu1_82.html

Some spring cleaning before we get to the review proper.  Yes, there is a 42 minute streamlined version and a 63 minute version.  The former I cannot find a link to online but it is available on the ten disc Essential Collection North American DVD set.  Hal Roach was transitioning to 4 reel streamliners and the initial plan was to release A CHUMP AT OXFORD as such.  However, Roach saw the big box office THE FLYING DEUCES was doing at RKO as a full length feature and decided to add extra footage to A CHUMP AT OXFORD to make it a full length feature.  The streamlined version did not see release until 1942 - two years later.  The streamlined version is tighter story wise but the extra footage with James Finlayson and Anita Garvin (talk about an odd pairing for a married couple) is funny, and as important as story is, funny is more important.  Therefore, I prefer the extended version.  For an in depth comparison between the two versions, click below.

http://www.lordheath.com/menu1_1147.html

I also would like to bring up some actors who appear in this that are of interest.  Not only do we get Anita Garvin, but the secretary early in the film is Ethelreda Leopold, so between those two, my heart rate goes up.  Of Stooge interest Stanley Blystone also has a small part and in the extended version only, the patron saint of Weekly Episode Discussions himself, Al Thompson, gets a scene in a sewer hole.  The most noteworthy supporting actor, however, is a 26 year old Peter Cushing.  He plays one of the prankster college students (he's the one on the left of the four they show in the initial shot).  One of my all time favorite actors decades later for his British horror roles with and without Hammer, he also lead the Death Star in the first Star Wars movie.  Yes folks, A CHUMP AT OXFORD is the unlikely link between Laurel and Hardy and Star Wars.  Here, Cushing is well before his prime years and just gets a few lines.

Overall, I really do like this film.  Stan and Ollie play really uneducated guys, as their characters are ready to admit. The world doesn't treat them kindly as a result, especially the Oxford college students.  That's what makes Stan's transformation into Lord Paddington such a fascinating turn.  He turns into an intellectual and athletic giant versus the simpleton he was before.  Stan really shows his range as an actor here developing a posh accent and stiff upper lip persona.  It really is one of Stan's most memorable turns.  It is also fascinating how Ollie stays with Stan during this time as his servant, even if it means suffering humiliating insult after insult.  Just as Ollie can't take it anymore and is about to leave, Paddington gets another bump on the head and Stan returns, as does their friendship.

I enjoy all the comic scenes in this film, including the maze scene which some people don't care for.  Stan and his "three arms" is a physical comic wonder as all that business must have taken a lot of rehearsal to accomplish.  Between that and Paddington, this really is a great Stan film.  I enjoy Stan and Ollie as street sweepers and the aforementioned scene with Anita Garvin and James Finlayson is also fantastic.  Ollie gets a great moment rearranging all the guests in their chairs like an overly focused carnival barker, even shooing away James Finlayson in his own home.  Stan as Paddington, ears flying in those wonderful close up shots, having all the college students fly out the window is another definite highlight.  I'll also praise the scene when they unknowingly get shown the Dean's room as theirs, climaxing in a wonderful pillow fight.

Overall another fine Laurel and Hardy feature, definitely highlighted by Stan's Lord Paddington turn.  After we're done with next week's film, we'll have finished the Hal Roach era.  We've made it this far, what a journey.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Ethelreda Leopold, Anita Garvin and....Marjorie Deanne from MATRI-PHONY and VIOLENT IS THE WORD FOR CURLY.  She shows up in this one as one of the dinner guests.  Check out that Lord Heath link above to verify.  Another top five Stooge favorite beauty of mine. Between Stan and Ollie, the three classic comedy ladies who are seriously amongst my favorites and Peter Cushing, I would so visit this set if I had a time machine.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

The streamliner version seems like the version that would probably play better for audiences, since the dinner scenes in the extended version are obviously last-minute additions that don’t really connect all that well to the whole “college” theme. Regardless, I do have to agree that I slightly prefer the extended version, though I’d say they’re about the same in quality.

A CHUMP AT OXFORD is another really good Laurel and Hardy feature. I do find it interesting to note that this is one of the few college comedies from that era that doesn’t actually focus on the football aspect, which is a refreshing change of pace. Admittedly, I do wish that there was at least one scene of Laurel and Hardy actually in a classroom setting (sort of like what the Marx Brothers did in HORSE FEATHERS, which is probably the best film of this genre, though I think an argument could also be made for THE FRESHMAN). However, what we get still does work very well.

Starting with the dinner scenes in the extended version, they play just as well as the ones in FROM SOUP TO NUTS, with the most notable addition being Hardy’s attempts at making a suitable seating arrangement. Personally, I don’t get the hate for the scenes in the maze. I really enjoyed them, especially when one of the students keeps playing tricks on Laurel and Hardy with his hands.

However, it’s the Lord Paddington scenes for which this film is most remembered, and for good reason. On top of the fact that it actually gives Stan a rare opportunity to show his acting skills outside of the Stan persona, it also is one of those scenes that shows a deeper meaning to the Laurel and Hardy relationship. In most of their films, we’re supposed to be led to believe that they’ve known each other their entire lives, but this is a rare instance where they actually give a backstory and show that Laurel had a life without Hardy, and it turns out it was a very successful one. When the roles are reversed, Hardy is obviously miserable. However, and maybe I’m just reading a bit too much into this, it also seems as though Paddington behind all his success is also fighting a feeling of loneliness (why else would he keep Hardy around in the first place?). Regardless, Stan returning to normal and the two reuniting is a very sweet scene and makes me wonder how fans would have reacted if they had quit making movies after this one? Doesn’t this seem like it would be the perfect farewell for the duo?

A CHUMP AT OXFORD is a fun little film that throws some surprising twists and turns on the genre. It’s worth watching in either version.

9 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Umbrella Sam

Yes folks, A CHUMP AT OXFORD is the unlikely link between Laurel and Hardy and Star Wars. 

Lots of people seem to forget that Laurel and Hardy were in the original Star Wars.

[pie]
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Though the expanded feature is unwieldy in its construction, "A Chump at Oxford" represents the last film with Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy at full comic throttle. Laurel's transformation into the brilliant Lord Paddington is a revelation, with Hardy equally effective as the diminished valet.  It's nice to compare the streamliner with the expanded version, since the edits are completely different.

8.5/10

Offline Tony Bensley

Though the expanded feature is unwieldy in its construction, "A Chump at Oxford" represents the last film with Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy at full comic throttle. Laurel's transformation into the brilliant Lord Paddington is a revelation, with Hardy equally effective as the diminished valet.  It's nice to compare the streamliner with the expanded version, since the edits are completely different.

8.5/10
To be honest, while I viewed the streamliner version once or twice after getting "The Essential Collection" DVD set in 2011, for me, it's proven to be more of a curiosity, with the expanded feature remaining my go to!  I do recall the streamliner version's PQ looking at least marginally better, though.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

I do recall the streamliner version's PQ looking at least marginally better, though.

You’ve got a Hell of an eye for that stuff.  Now I notice print differences in extreme cases, but when it comes to comparing those two versions of A CHUMP AT OXFORD, never occurred to me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

This is one of my favorite Laurel and Hardy features, even though it's a two-reeler and streamliner put together. The beginning is a remake of From Soup to Nuts, and shows that they could still be making great short films if that's what they were doing. It's nice to see Anita Garvin for the last time in a Laurel and Hardy film. Then we get to the streamliner section, and it is even better. It's interesting that Stan is described as American by the Oxford friends, so I'm guessing Stan just speaks with an English accent as has no clue why because he doesn't remember his former self. That is until he gets clonked on the head and changes to a posh man. This is awesome, and for once he is clearly smarter than Ollie. The ending where he turns back into Stan was pretty sweet for a Laurel and Hardy movie.

Offline Samurai

I also would like to bring up some actors who appear in this that are of interest.  Not only do we get Anita Garvin, but the secretary early in the film is Ethelreda Leopold, so between those two, my heart rate goes up.
As a fellow passenger on the Anita Garvin bandwagon, I agree completely.  The one party guest I'm always drawn to is one that no one seems to be able to identify (the brunette with the white bow in her hair). I'm usually good at tracking people down, but not in this case. Unless someone here has come up with something, I'll have to shift my harmless 'dirty old man' attention to a new project.

Offline metaldams

As a fellow passenger on the Anita Garvin bandwagon, I agree completely.  The one party guest I'm always drawn to is one that no one seems to be able to identify (the brunette with the white bow in her hair). I'm usually good at tracking people down, but not in this case. Unless someone here has come up with something, I'll have to shift my harmless 'dirty old man' attention to a new project.

She’s unfortunately unidentified on the Lord Heath website, but for more Stooge interest, I just learned Marjorie Deanne also plays one of the dinner guests.

- Doug Sarnecky