Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Our Relations (1936) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/ourrelate.html
http://www.lordheath.com/menu1_145.html

OUR RELATIONS, unlike the last few features, is a straight Laurel and Hardy film.  Perhaps it's even two Laurel and Hardy films.  There are no subplots outside of Stan and Ollie, no musical numbers, yet - two sets of Laurel and Hardys!  We get the straighter domestic version of Laurel and Hardy with the two wives and also a twin brother set the wives don't know about who are drinking and carousing sailors.  The identity of the twins is hidden from the wives because of their low reputation, the boys are putting on airs, basically.  Naturally each set of twins get caught up in some situations, don't run into each other until the end and mass confusion amongst the characters takes place.  One of the writers of this film is Felix Adler, the same guy who wrote A MERRY MIX-UP, the Besser era film that was a remake of OUR RELATIONS.

I stated in A MERRY MIX-UP that there was too much plot for a two reeler and the ending felt rushed.  That is not the case here.  Both sets of Laurel and Hardy get into plenty of situations that take their time to build and coalesce together in the end.  Confusion with the sets of twins among the wives where the wives think cheating is going on when they don't realize they see the twins.  The husbands being accused of acts of the twins in front of the wives.  Confusion over a ring the captain gives a collateral going into each set of twins hands when even the twins get confused about who they're dealing with.  James Finlayson getting in a feud with the sailors and taking it out on the husbands.  All of these threads come together very well over a six reel feature and make a much more ideal format for this story than the two reel Besser era short.

OUR RELATIONS is much more story oriented than the average Laurel and Hardy film yet there are a few good gag sequences.  The phone booth scene with Arthur Housman in excellent.  Not quite SCRAMBLED BRAINS good, but very worthy nonetheless.  Later in the film, the physical comedy highlight is the boys being cemented buy their feet in a round tub teetering on the edge of the dock.  They really milk this scene very well and it's fun hearing their screams and seeing the various combinations of them falling and missing the dock.  Again back to Chaplin, but in MODERN TIMES, released the same year as OUR RELATIONS, Chaplin uses a similar almost falling off a ledge device on roller skates.

A very interesting cast here.  Stan's wife is played by Betty Healy, the real life wife of Ted Healy!  The bar owner is played by Alan Hale, father of The Skipper on Gilligan's Island and silent and golden age character actor who appeared in several big movies, many with Errol Flynn.  He played Little John in both the silent and talkie Robin Hood films.  Sidney Toler, who played the captain, later on played Charlie Chan for several films at Monogram.  Little Daphne Pollard is back and great as Mrs. Hardy.  Lona Andre, who was Buster Keaton's leading lady on a few of the Educational shorts we discussed, is one of the two girls at the bar the wives think their husband is cheating with.  She's very pretty but does not get the bulk of the lines amongst the two girls, which instead go to Iris Adrian.  Again, makes me wish Buster had better leading ladies at Educational.  James Finlayson gets one of his many great roles with Stan and Ollie so a good cast overall.

Another enjoyable Roach era feature.  Kind of mid level since it's so story oriented and not exactly what Laurel and Hardy are best at, but very good just the same.  Next week's film, on the other hand, is prime Laurel and Hardy, so I hope you check that review out too.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Considering that the film immediately following this is WAY OUT WEST, I suppose I can kind of see why this isn’t as highly regarded as some of their other films, though for me personally, this is one of their best features.

Yeah, the film is very situation-based and as a result, Laurel and Hardy don’t really do as many various gags. But the situation itself is very good. It’s intriguing to see a Laurel and Hardy that’s actually rather sophisticated and slowly deteriorates into the regular Laurel and Hardy as the film goes on. Every situation that could be made out of this is taken advantage of: fooling their boss, fooling their crooked friend, fooling their wives, getting involved with thieves who try to kill them. There’s even a funny double take from a police officer that comes across the two twins at separate times.

Another thing that makes this so great is how it builds up towards the end. There are lots of times where the sets of twins barely miss each other, even to the point where Ollie confuses Alf for Stan. This makes it even more satisfying when the sets of twins finally discover what’s been going on at the very end.

The effects are pretty good for the time. The only time we actually see the sets of twins fully on screen together is at the very end, but the filmmakers managed to hide very well whenever they were simply using doubles rather than actually trying to show both on screen at the same time.

The film is also helped by a great cast consisting both of Laurel and Hardy regulars (Jimmy Finlayson and Daphne Pollard) and actors making their only appearance with Laurel and Hardy (Sidney Toler, Betty Healy, and Alan Hale). In a way, this could be compared to ME AND MY PAL, in that the film allows everyone a chance to shine rather than just Laurel and Hardy.

Though a bit light on gags that don’t exactly relate to the situation, there still are some stand-out moments. The phone booth scene with Housman is an obvious highlight, as is Stan and Ollie getting revenge on Fin at the restaurant. I also really love the closing gag. It actually may be one of my favorite closing gags in a Laurel and Hardy film.

Overall, a film that I enjoy very much. Sure, there are funnier Laurel and Hardy films, but OUR RELATIONS definitely stands out as one of the more unique ones. The statement at Laurel and Hardy Central that it’s a more entertaining film is definitely a correct one.

10 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Too much plot, but an engaging Laurel and Hardy feature with handsome production values.  A definite improvement over "Bonnie Scotland" and "The Bohemian Girl." The first of two Stan Laurel productions for Roach — followed by the classic "Way Out West."

8/10

Offline HomokHarcos

Once again we see that Laurel and Hardy can carry a film by themselves, but just weren't always given that opportunity. This is a plot that was later used by The Three Stooges. My favorite part is when Stan and Ollie are beating up Finlayson, even though they are supposedly supposed to be the good boys. Unfortunately, it is their twin brothers that steal the show. I like their story a lot better as the sailors than the domestic Stan and Ollie. Them already knowing Finlayson makes it better. The story actually works well over an hour, and it doesn't feel too long.