Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Bohemian Girl (1936) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/bohemian.html
http://www.lordheath.com/menu1_250.html

THE BOHEMIAN GIRL would be the third and final operettta Laurel and Hardy would make.  In addition to being a major step up from previous feature BONNIE SCOTLAND, it is the operetta that feels the most like a Laurel and Hardy film.  Sure, there are musical numbers that don't involve the boys, but they tend to go by pretty fast and there are a lot of comedy routines to cherish.  The plot that is in the film very heavily integrates Laurel and Hardy, no case like in BONNIE SCOTLAND where the leading lady never gets to meet them, in film AND reality.  I can't say it's my favorite or least favorite of the operettas, I enjoy them all for different reasons, but again, certainly the most Laurel and Hardy like.  It also bears mentioning the laurelandhardycentral.com guys did a wonderful job discussing this one and since I thought of on my own and agree with a lot of their points, you will hear plenty of repeats out of me.

I will address one bit of tragedy in stating this would be Thelma Todd's last film.  We've discussed a lot of her work with Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers and Buster Keaton.  Looking at the schedule of films ahead, this may be the last time we discuss her.  She passed away a few weeks after filming wrapped up and had her scenes severely cut so her tragedy, fresh in the public's mind, would not overtake the film.  All we have left is her, as a brunette, doing a musical number in the beginning of the film.  Really a sad way to go but in her short life she left a heck of a lot of good comedy roles.  A talented lady for sure and if we ever meet someday, I hope she vamps me like she did all the other comic legends she worked with.

From a character point of view, this one is interesting.  Oliver Hardy in the first half plays child like innocent more than any other occasion I can think of.  Mrs. Hardy, played by Mae Busch - yay! - cheats on Ollie right in front of him and he's too naive to realize it.  At another point, she hands Oliver a child, played by Darla Hood of Our Gang and Campbell's Soup fame, tells him it's his daughter and he accepts the news with joy.  If my wife or any woman were to hand me a child, I would question it first, wonder who the mother is, and raise Hell.  Ollie just accepts it like it's nothing, gotta wonder if his marriage was consummated.  Incredibly innocent.

Then there is the pickpocket scene.  On surface, Stan and Ollie don't usually play so unlikeable a profession, but considering they're gypsies and the theft is established as a way of life for all of them in the film, I get the sense they're just following the culture they live in rather than stealing out of any malice.  Still, notice how crafty Stan is in this scene.  He is confident and competent in a way you rarely see Stan and the way he bails Ollie out of trouble and gets the police officer (played by James C. Morton!) to get the guy being robbed to appear as the robber is brilliant.  Fantastic scene overall and also dig the little gestures Stan and Ollie make to each other as they are sneaking around the town (which is built wonderfully, great set designs in this film), they really were great actors.

The other hysterical scene is Stan trying to save the wine from guzzling out into the room so he guzzles it into himself, getting sloppy drunk in the process.  A pure masterpiece of a performance, I was doing a lot of laughing here.  The way his drunkenness progresses really showagain what a fine actor he was.

I also want to bring up the father identifying the long missing and now grown daughter (played by Jacquline Wells from ANY OLD PORT and THE BLACK CAT) by the jewlery and tattoo on her shoulder.  Charlie Chaplin used a similar device in THE VAGABOND (1916).  There the leading lady was also taken away from her noble childhood to a band of gypsies and the mother recognized the grown daughter years later by a birthmark.  I have no idea if this device shows up in the original operetta and perhaps inspired Chaplin or if it is not in the operetta and Chaplin was the inspiration, but again, similar plot devices.

Other honorable mentions go to James Finlayson getting an eye poke and complaining his good eye got hit and the great sight gag of an ending of a stretched and tall Ollie and a squashed and small Stan.  The great camera angle of Ollie looking down on Stan says it all.  A really fun film, nice production values, the music doesn't overstay it's welcome and is pleasant in the dosage we get and there's a of comedy where the comics are in the story.  What a concept!  Thumbs up.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

THE BOHEMIAN GIRL (1936) was actually the first of the Laurel and Hardy featured operettas that I got to see, in the summer of 1976 when I was 12.  My debut viewings of BABES IN TOYLAND (In December, 1984), and THE DEVIL'S BROTHER (As BOGUS BANDITS in 1997), both came much later.

I do agree that all three L&H featured operettas are very good in different aspects, and TBG is the most L&H like of the three. It might be fun to view them consecutively some time!  :)

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Umbrella Sam

This film has grown on me quite a bit. I wasn’t particularly fond of it at first and I still think it has a few problems, but looking back it does indeed feel the most Laurel and Hardy like of all the operettas and I prefer it to FRA DIAVOLO.

Let’s start with the problems. From a story perspective, this is paced pretty weird, and I’m led to believe that Thelma Todd’s death may have had something to do with it, even though from what I’ve heard it really didn’t. This film is heavily focused on backstory. Jacqueline Wells doesn’t even appear until 2/3 of the way in.

I’m also not fond of the ending gag. If there’s one thing I think Roach was right about when it came to editing these films, it was getting rid of Stan’s cartoon-like endings. I’m fine with these in the shorts, but in a more serious feature like this, it just leaves a bad taste to see Laurel and Hardy’s characters live the rest of their days suffering from the trauma of a torture chamber.

Like John Brennan at Laurel and Hardy Central, I also quite like “I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls,” so that already makes the music better than FRA DIAVOLO, and it also has the benefit of cutaways to Stan during the song. Also, yes, it is refreshing after BONNIE SCOTLAND to again see Laurel and Hardy actually interact with the leading lady, though again, I do have to wonder if Todd’s death explains why they didn’t interact with many of the other gypsies.

It’s weird how competent Stan comes across early on in the film, especially with the pickpocket scenes, but surprisingly it still does work quite well. He still has the mannerisms and still does them just as well as he did anywhere else.

It is also surprisingly funny just how mean Mae Busch’s character is here. Busch generally played Mrs. Hardy as someone who could be mean, but deep down did seem to actually care about her husband. Here, she’s just stone cold, to the point where she’s willing to kiss another man in front of him. I think the fact that this is so atypical for Busch is what makes it so funny, even though I do prefer her other portrayals.

Like metaldams mentioned, the other big comedy scene is the one with Stan and the wine, another one of those scenes with just him that you wouldn’t think would work, but Stan somehow made it work.

I do think THE BOHEMIAN GIRL is better than its reputation. Yeah, there’s some pacing problems, but I do still think the characters are interesting and the supporting cast do well playing them. Plus, we even get James Finlayson in one of his better roles as the guard. Not BABES IN TOYLAND, but still an interesting film on its own.

9 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Chiming in late on this because I just watched it yesterday. Agree that it’s a fine comedy and in the upper half of the L&H feature film canon.

There is an overtone of sadness that I can’t entirely attribute to Thelma Todd’s death. Never before have we seen Ollie so entirely stripped of his dignity. Mae Busch doesn’t even bother to hide her cuckolding and her parting, “and she’s not your child!” moves the film into “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolfe” territory. Finally, while I know these are comic book Gypsies, the persecution they endure mirrors the real-life genocide that would begin just a few years after filming.

But both Laurel & Hardy are at the peak of their comedic powers here and Hardy is still a year away from the weight gain that would obscure his boyish facial expressions. Every L&H bit is a gem and the scene were they’re sitting at a table and Stan confounds Ollie with a simple finger game shows that all you needed for great comedy were Laurel, Hardy, a good premise and a camera setup.

“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline Dr. Mabuse

A dour comic opera with few L&H highlights. What worked so beautifully in "Fra Diavolo" falls flat this time around. The Stan and Ollie characters remain submerged in the operetta's unrelenting heaviness. Thelma Todd's severely truncated final role didn't help matters.

6/10

Offline HomokHarcos

This felt like a Laurel and Hardy movie where they were the heroes. It's sad that Thelma's scenes were cut, she was supposed to be involved with the storyline. I assume that it was because Roach didn't want people to think about the scandal. Unfortunately, we are left with only one scene of her. Mae is nastier than ever here, and doesn't seem to care. It's funny that Ollie founds out he has a child and thinks nothing of it, he just wants to raise it. Darla is more memorable than the older version. The drunk scene is awesome when Stan has to drink it all, and it was nice to see Finlayson show up a villain.

Offline Tony Bensley

This felt like a Laurel and Hardy movie where they were the heroes. It's sad that Thelma's scenes were cut, she was supposed to be involved with the storyline. I assume that it was because Roach didn't want people to think about the scandal. Unfortunately, we are left with only one scene of her. Mae is nastier than ever here, and doesn't seem to care. It's funny that Ollie founds out he has a child and thinks nothing of it, he just wants to raise it. Darla is more memorable than the older version. The drunk scene is awesome when Stan has to drink it all, and it was nice to see Finlayson show up a villain.
Mae Busch's nastiest and also final Laurel & Hardy film appearance!

CHEERS!  [pie]