Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

More Charley Chase out this summer!

Offline falsealarms

More of Charley Chase's sound-era output will be out on July 16....

Pre-order: https://www.amazon.com/Charley-Chase-Roach-Talkies-1932-33/dp/B07PMLWXWK

Charley Chase returns in Volume Two of his classic Hal Roach talkie comedies from the years 1932-1933. This was a period of transition for both the comedian and the Lot of Fun as Charley says farewell to the lovely Thelma Todd (returning for an appearance in The Nickel Nurser), experiments with science-fiction (Now We'll Tell One) and surrealism (Nature in the Wrong) and introduces his new main leading lady, the lovely Muriel Evans.

Lots of great laughs as Charley Chase is ably supported by the stalwart Hal Roach Stock Company of Comedy Players: Billy Gilbert, James Finlayson, James C. Morton, Dell Henderson, Jimmie Adams, and Gale Henry.

1932: The Tabasco Kid, The Nickel Nurser, In Walked Charley, First in War, Young Ironsides, Girl Grief, Now We'll Tell One, and Mr. Bride 1933: Fallen Arches, Nature in The Wrong, His Silent Racket, Arabian Tights, Sherman Said It, Midsummer Mush, and Luncheon at Twelve.

Bonus features include: Special Features - Una cana al aire (4-reel Spanish version of 'Looser than Loose'); Commentaries by Richard M Roberts; Poster and Stills Gallery

Offline metaldams

I was literally just thinking the other day when the next volume would come out.  Thanks Falsealarms.  Looking forward to this.  The only short I've seen that I can recall is LUNCHEON AT TWELVE and that will hold interest for Stooge fans.  Some painting and coffee drinking gags that inspired TASSELS IN THE AIR, if my memory serves me well.  No coincidence that Chase directed that Stooge short.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Release day is this Tuesday, July 16. If anyone else is getting this, I'd love to see your thoughts on these shorts. All of them will be new to me. There's a few later Chase Roach shorts I've seen but I haven't seen any from this 1932-33 period. The Nickel Nurser is especially interesting as it's the last short Chase and Todd appeared in together.

Offline metaldams

Offline falsealarms

I'm through the first disc of the set. Here's a few spoiler free thoughts of my own:

The best shorts on disc one were YOUNG IRONSIDES, GIRL GRIEF and FIRST IN WAR (probably in that order). Young Ironsides is as good as good as any Chase short I've seen, just a terrific short from beginning to end. Heine Conklin stands out as the house detective. GIRL GRIEF has possibly the funniest single Chase sequence I've seen, a scene where he's conducting a class of girl singers and the school's principal is standing outside the room listening. The whole short is very high energy. FIRST IN WAR is a first-class military-themed short featuring great supporting turns from Luis Alberni, Billy Gilbert and Carlton Griffin. Military themed shorts aren't always my favorites but I liked this one quite a bit.

NOW WE'LL TELL ONE, MR. BRIDE, and IN WALKED CHARLEY were all solid offerings though a step below the three above. MR. BRIDE is certainly different - Charley goes on a honeymoon with another man so the other man can have a trial run for his own honeymoon. It's different but there's some humorous situations along the way. NOW WE'LL TELL ONE is a fun short with a sci-fi twist but some horribly blatant rear projection work. IN WALKED CHARLEY had an interesting premise - a man faking lunacy to avoid being left with his mother-in-law - and some interesting moments but I thought it was a little too drawn out.

THE NICKEL NURSER, the last Chase-Todd short, was somewhat of a disappointment. Not a bad short at all but I was expecting something better. Maybe a victim of high expectations. THE TABASCO KID was the weakest short on disc one by a fair margin for me. It struck me as overly bizarre and short on laughs and humor. Other people seem to really like it so your mileage might vary.

Overall, the hits far outweigh the misses so far.

Offline metaldams

I'm through the first disc of the set. Here's a few spoiler free thoughts of my own:

The best shorts on disc one were YOUNG IRONSIDES, GIRL GRIEF and FIRST IN WAR (probably in that order). Young Ironsides is as good as good as any Chase short I've seen, just a terrific short from beginning to end. Heine Conklin stands out as the house detective. GIRL GRIEF has possibly the funniest single Chase sequence I've seen, a scene where he's conducting a class of girl singers and the school's principal is standing outside the room listening. The whole short is very high energy. FIRST IN WAR is a first-class military-themed short featuring great supporting turns from Luis Alberni, Billy Gilbert and Carlton Griffin. Military themed shorts aren't always my favorites but I liked this one quite a bit.

NOW WE'LL TELL ONE, MR. BRIDE, and IN WALKED CHARLEY were all solid offerings though a step below the three above. MR. BRIDE is certainly different - Charley goes on a honeymoon with another man so the other man can have a trial run for his own honeymoon. It's different but there's some humorous situations along the way. NOW WE'LL TELL ONE is a fun short with a sci-fi twist but some horribly blatant rear projection work. IN WALKED CHARLEY had an interesting premise - a man faking lunacy to avoid being left with his mother-in-law - and some interesting moments but I thought it was a little too drawn out.

THE NICKEL NURSER, the last Chase-Todd short, was somewhat of a disappointment. Not a bad short at all but I was expecting something better. Maybe a victim of high expectations. THE TABASCO KID was the weakest short on disc one by a fair margin for me. It struck me as overly bizarre and short on laughs and humor. Other people seem to really like it so your mileage might vary.

Overall, the hits far outweigh the misses so far.

Through the first disc myself now, taking them in slowly.  I too enjoyed FIRST IN WAR very much.  I like NOW WE’LL TELL ONE very much.  Thought it was a creative premise and gave Chase a chance to do a wide array of character roles and physical comedy.  Really good short.  Also want to add Richard Roberts, as usual, does excellent audio commentaries.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
How I wish I didn't live at home right now, or we could have a whole Charley Chase discussion.

1300!!!!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

“Nature in the Raw” is a wonderfully bizarre Tarzan comedy that is quite awesome and “His Silent Racket” has Jim Finlayson and - Anita Garvin.  [love10]. This series is getting a little more surreal and I’m thankful these are being released.  Still have four shorts to go, but I saw “Luncheon at Twelve” years ago, which I’m looking forward to revisiting.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Just finished the set - Betty Mack, one of the wives from THE SITTER DOWNERS, played Chase’s leading lady in the last couple of shorts with her hair dyed blonde.  Being a blonde was apparently a requirement to be a Chase leading lady, to the point Anita Garvin barely worked with Chase.  Mack does a fine job.

Great set and I hope enough people bought this to entice them to release a volume three.  Very thankful for volumes one and two.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Luncheon at Twelve was the last short on this set - and one of the best. The location work always adds so much to these old two-reelers, and that short had a good amount of it. I'm not always  the biggest fan of songs in two-reelers but the ones here (and in Sherman Said It, for that matter) were great. The one thing that seemed odd to me was.... I thought there was going to be some kind of confrontation between Charley's character and the worker who picked up ashes when he arrived to party at the end. I thought when he saw Charley there, something was going to happen. But the short just ended. Still great stuff but the ending wasn't as expected.

Those interested in location work should watch:

Offline metaldams

Agree completely about the end of LUNCHEON AT TWELVE....very sudden and unresolved.   Still a fun short just the same.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

The first two volumes came in the mail. One of my top wishes for this year is that the third and final volume comes out.

Offline metaldams

The first two volumes came in the mail. One of my top wishes for this year is that the third and final volume comes out.

Hope you enjoy those sets.  Yes, put me on the list of those anxiously awaiting volume 3.  With that release, the last ten years of Chase’s career will be covered on DVD.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

I found all the Chase Roach talkies from these sets on the internet archive last year.  I assume they're still there. They left out the 2 talkies missing soundtracks -- but it was the first time I had seen those other 1929 talkies. For years, they've had Chase stuff usually grabbed from TCM showings.
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz