Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

New Three Stooges stock music

GOTBSB · 4 · 3333

Offline GOTBSB

Alright, I'll go right up and say it, even though I might've  in the introduction thread: the 1965 New Three Stooges cartoons are a guilty pleasure of mine. I know, they're not as funny as the classic Columbia shorts (except for maybe Moe putting Curly Joe's nose in a mousetrap in "Little Cheese Chaser"), but there are some aspects to them I like that keep bringing me back to them, ESPECIALLY the stock library music they used, almost all of it sourced from Gordon Zahler's General Music library. I've fallen in love with a number of those old needle-drops utilized by the editors in those 156 cartoons. Here's a list of my personal favorites:
-the jazzy flute music which Moe plays on the record in "Safari So Good" (Paul Horn, is that you at work?)
-that Latin music used in "A Bull for Anadamo"
-the zany chase music used in various episodes (one particular one which turns up in "What's Mew Pussycat" and "Squawk Valley" being my fave)
-the Oriental music which opens "That Old Shell Game"
-the neutral piece which opens "7 Faces of Timbear"
-that dramatic-sounding, airplane-evoking piece used during part of "That Little Old Bombmaker"
-a ceremonial piece which opens "Hold That Line"
-that semi-comic dramatic march used in "It's a Bad, Bad, Bad World"
-those circus-y marches and chase pieces used in various episodes (the one which opens "There Auto be a Law" being my personal favorite)

I could go on, I don't want to bore you. I've actually found a small portion of these tracks, not a lot, but a few. Here's a list of those tracks that I've found:
-Chasing Tails- Ronald Hanmer (plays in "The Plumber's Friend")
-Juggling Clowns- Max Saunders (plays in "Waiter Minute")
-March Winds- Gilbert Vinter (plays in "Peter Panic", "Baby Sitters", "Thru Rain, Sleet and Snow", "The Bear Who Came in From the Cold", the "Paperhangers" and "Salesmen" wraparounds, undoubtedly others)
-May Flowers- Gilbert Vinter (plays in "Baby Sitters" and the "Caretakers" wraparound)
-Pardon My French- Ronald Hanmer (plays in "Hairbrained Barbers")
-Pizzi-Pizzi- Louis Rey (plays in "Wash My Line" and "Goofy Gondoliers")
-Rat Race-  Jack Martin (plays in "Waiter Minute")
-The Happy Whistlers- Alan Perry (plays in "Follo the White Lion")
-Welcome to Waikiki- Martin Laiser, Stefan Laube (plays briefly at the end of "Aloha Ha Ha")

If I find anymore, I'll update this post. Oh- and if you'd like to know where you can hear these cues, you can hear brief snippets of "March Winds" and "May Flowers" here: https://www.editionuk.co.uk/product/woodwind-music-circus-music-meslp084/

"Pardon My French", "Chasing Tails", "Rat Race" and "Juggling Clowns" can be found here: http://www.apmmusic.com

"Welcome to Waikiki" and "Pizzi-Pizzi" can be found on Youtube:

(first track in this video)

"The Happy Whistlers" can be heard here: https://search.5alarmmusic.com/login Unfortunately, it's been retitled "Perky Pete" by the contemporary library label who released it.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about stock music (for me, nothing beats the Carl Stalling/Milt Franklyn scores from the classic Warner Bros. cartoons), but I will say that I do prefer the stock scores in New Three Stooges to just about any of the other TV cartoons of the time.

Don't know what it's called, but I've always found that one stock cue from the live car repair segment to be pretty funny, as short as it is. Here's the one I'm talking about (it occurs towards the beginning, when Moe discovers Curly Joe didn't have the spare tire fixed):

“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline GOTBSB

Admittedly, I don't know a whole lot about stock music (for me, nothing beats the Carl Stalling/Milt Franklyn scores from the classic Warner Bros. cartoons), but I will say that I do prefer the stock scores in New Three Stooges to just about any of the other TV cartoons of the time.

Don't know what it's called, but I've always found that one stock cue from the live car repair segment to be pretty funny, as short as it is. Here's the one I'm talking about (it occurs towards the beginning, when Moe discovers Curly Joe didn't have the spare tire fixed):

Unfortunately, can't help you with what that one's called, but I wonder if that's an original cue by Paul Horn. That cue that plays at the end of that wraparound and the delightfully catchy title card music are likely by him as well.

Offline smazzini016

Unfortunately, can't help you with what that one's called, but I wonder if that's an original cue by Paul Horn. That cue that plays at the end of that wraparound and the delightfully catchy title card music are likely by him as well.

Sorry for the out of nowhere reply, I'm a new member. But a few of the Mozart Edition tracks have resurfaced very recently. (Someone posted the full album on a different library music forum.)

"March Winds" and "May Flowers" are now available in their entirety, and it turns out that "Pussyfoot" by Gilbert Vinter was also used frequently in the show. It can be heard in such episodes as: "Hold That Line" (in the live action segments), and "Tee For Three".

They can be found here: https://librarymusicthemes.net/index.php?topic=6538.0