Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Thicker Than Water (1935) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://laurelandhardycentral.com/thicker.html
http://www.lordheath.com/menu1_80.html

......and our journey of discussing Laurel and Hardy shorts comes to an end this week with THICKER THAN WATER.  We still have features to discuss, but Hal Roach in general was easing his way out of the shorts by this time to make features and streamliners.  Charley Chase went over to Columbia shortly after this, Thelma Todd sadly passed on and Our Gang was sold to MGM a few years later.  Obviously in 1935 Roach saw the short market drying up with double features becoming more popular.  As Stooge fans we all know in 1935 The Three Stooges were just getting started, so perhaps we see why Harry Cohn had leverage in all those yearly contract negotiations with the shorts market drying up.  Hal Roach saw it in the mid thirties.

As for the short itself, another perfectly pleasant film.  It seems the big slapstick shorts like HOG WILD and THE MUSIC BOX are now a thing of the past and we're getting domestic shorts to wrap things up, but Stan and Ollie do a great job with these.  Daphne Pollard, who also appeared with Shemp in some shorts around this time, is about as full steam ahead a domineering wife as can be, made all the more comical by the fact she was well under five feet tall.  The gag where she has to stand on the chair to hit Ollie over the head with a frying pan is funny and there is even a point where she stands next to Ollie while Ollie is sitting on the arm of a couch - Ollie is still taller.

One of the Stan and Ollie shorts in the tradition of SONS OF THE DESERT where Ollie likes to act like he's in control with his wife to Stan - when he's clearly not.  Said frying pan gag, Pollard demanding Stan giver her and not Ollie the rent and her forcing Ollie to miss the ball game so he can wash dishes shows who is boss.

Stan and Ollie work together excellently - the dishwashing scene is a highlight, watching Stan meticulously dry dishes only to give them back to Ollie to get wet and wash again.  The confusion with the bidding is another highlight and the ultimate highlight is the well rehearsed verbal confusion over who gives who the money, with an exasperated Jimmy Finlayson being the icing on the cake.

The ending of the short with a Frankenstein - Igor transfusion experiment between Stan and Ollie that I think works wonderfully as the final few minutes of a short - I'm just glad they left it at that and didn't do an entire short experiment with it ala TWICE TWO.  We also get a few funny fourth wall breaking gags involving Stan physically dragging the screen using a wipe method, including the end of this short and their short film career.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

A good enough way to end Laurel and Hardy’s run of short films, though it does feel a bit run-of-the-mill. Then again, Laurel and Hardy’s other domestic comedies set the bar quite high, so maybe that’s the reason it doesn’t seem quite as interesting.

The dishwashing scene is pretty good and it’s also fun to see the grandfather clock get destroyed. Like THE FIXER UPPERS, though, the short stands out more for its supporting cast than it does the actual gags. James Finlayson makes his first appearance since FRA DIAVOLO and his return is very much appreciated. The whole dialogue with the money mix-up works mainly because of his performance. Daphne Pollard gives a particularly mean performance and I also think part of the reason this works is because of the whole height contrast with Ollie.

The running gag with the wipe transition is pretty cool and, along with the ending with Laurel and Hardy switching roles, helps the short to stand out a bit. Could have been better, but considering that they had to focus more attention on the features, it’s understandable why these last couple efforts weren’t exactly the best.

8 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Could have been better, but considering that they had to focus more attention on the features, it’s understandable why these last couple efforts weren’t exactly the best.

8 out of 10

I do enjoy these last few efforts while completely seeing nothing elaborate was invested in - the performances simply carry these things.  But off to the features we go, my next review should be Sunday night or Monday.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

While watching the BONNIE SCOTLAND commentary, Leonard Maltin mentions Daphne Pollard was 4'9".  Tiny, making her domineering streak that much more comical.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

A solid finale to Stan and Ollie's career in shorts. "Thicker Than Water" proves that The Boys still had plenty of gas in the tank when it came to the art of the two-reeler.  Laurel was reluctant to abandon shorts for features, but Roach really had no choice from a business standpoint.

8/10
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 12:50:57 AM by Dr. Mabuse »

Offline HomokHarcos

Laurel and Hardy's last short film for Hal Roach. They actually got out of short films before all of the other major Roach stars in 1935. Charley Chase and the Todd/Pitts/Kelly series both ended in 1936. Roach wanted to stop all short film production right there, but MGM basically demanded he produce more Our Gang comedies since they were so popular. In 1938, when Roach's distribution deal with MGM ended, he agreed to sell the series outright to them, leaving The Three Stooges as the undisputed kings of short comedies. This short is average for Laurel and Hardy, which still means it is a good comedy because they were so great. The most memorable part is when they get stuck in an auction and are forced to keep a clock. That's a nice clock. The ending practically caused me to do a double take with the way Stan and Ollie's bodies were mixed up. I know this is not their last Hal Roach film, but it's sad to see them leave short films behind.