Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Music videos you like - post here.

metaldams · 1554 · 141249

Offline metaldams

This board needs a kick in the ass.  Just post random songs and music videos you like and discuss.  We can find music we have in common and discover new music as well.  I'll start with "Time Stand Still" from Rush.  I think this one gets under the skin of some Rush purists, being from their more electronic 80's phase (1987's HOLD YOUR FIRE, to be exact), but I've always found this to be a beautiful song.  Love Geddy's vocals and bass in this one.

OK, your turn.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Being a fanatic of Rush, I enjoy the 80s period more than anything, so no problem with HYF, or anything else...

Anyway, some of my favorites--aside from the Led...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Being a fanatic of Rush, I enjoy the 80s period more than anything, so no problem with HYF, or anything else...

Anyway, some of my favorites--aside from the Led...

I was in middle school when STP came out.  I always thought of them as second tier grunge even at the time, but to their credit, they stuck around for a while.  Their music, if released today, would be the best thing the mainstream has to offer.  That video you posted is pretty good.

AC/DC you can never go wrong.  I prefer Bon Scott era, though all AC/DC has it's good points.  "Who Made Who" is a great track.

"No More Tears" is the first Ozzy song I ever was aware of when it was newly released.  I was culturally aware of Ozzy before that song in the 80's, but only as the guy who bit the head off bats.  Oz is in the hospital as I type this, hope he pulls through.  It's a miracle he's around at 70.  Of course I'm a huge fan.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
I like this idea. Leaning a bit more into '90s alternative with my first three picks:

Starting off with a pair of songs from two modern power-pop masters...

...and, on a more mellow note, one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands...

"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline metaldams

I like this idea. Leaning a bit more into '90s alternative with my first three picks:

Starting off with a pair of songs from two modern power-pop masters...

...and, on a more mellow note, one of my favorite songs from one of my favorite bands...

I was in high school and college in the 90's and the whole alternative thing passed me by.  I just wanted guitar solos and fire in the instruments, but I have to say as I've gotten older I'm kinder to 90's rock.  I enjoyed those videos you posted.

I was a nerd in the 90's who listened to 60's - 80's music, lots of metal.  Metal was completely out of fashion then, it's funny how it has more of a following today than the 90's.  Anyway, back in the 90's, I was going back to the 80's listening to stuff like this.  Iron Maiden's "Wasted Years" is a brilliant song both lyrically and musically, one of those bits where I can't understand a fellow human being disliking it.  Enjoy.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

....and Green Canaries, here's the original power pop band, from the 60's, doing a song in the 90's.

I am usually more a music guy than lyrics, but Ray Davies is one of the few lyricists I love.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

If there's a technical difference--and I'm sure there is  :laugh:--I'm more into "Hard Rock" than Metal, but recently I've been into a lot of Dio and a few random samples of stuff like Maiden. Dio is really fucking groovy...

Anyway, here's some Led, from a period when heroin was supposedly destroying Jimmy and the band; still great shows to my ears...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

If there's a technical difference--and I'm sure there is  :laugh:--I'm more into "Hard Rock" than Metal, but recently I've been into a lot of Dio and a few random samples of stuff like Maiden. Dio is really fucking groovy...

Anyway, here's some Led, from a period when heroin was supposedly destroying Jimmy and the band; still great shows to my ears...

I've almost given up telling the difference between hard rock and heavy metal.  These days, by some people's standards, I almost am hard rock more than metal.  When I started liking what was known as metal in the late 80's, I had some magazine, can't remember if it was Hit Parader, Circus....whatever, that had the top 100 most important metal performers of all time. 1 was Robert Plant and 2 Steven Tyler. They wouldn't register as metal to anybody under 40 these days.  Zeppelin used to be metal, now Black Sabbath is considered the first metal band - however...,,I've heard podcasts where even Sabbath is questioned and whispers are out that Judas Priest is the first true metal band.  I give up and try not to get wrapped up in labels like I used to.  It's all just music, good or bad.

That Zeppelin video is good.  I have the DVD set that has the Knebworth 1979 footage, Jimmy Page looks puffy.  Still, the band rocks, but Plant maybe a tad more so at this point, he was peaking by the time Zeppelin ended, which carried over into his early solo career.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

See the bass I'm playing in my profile pic?  The same bass is being played by Robert Trujillo in this video.  I don't mean just the same model bass, I mean the same actual bass.  ;D

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a huge Elton John fan. Unfortunately, he didn’t do a whole lot of music videos during his best period from 1970-1976 (probably the most notable is the hilariously awkward video for “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart”).

Here’s one I’ve always thought was underrated: “Ego,” released in 1978. It was supposed to be Elton’s comeback single, but unfortunately only reached #34 on both the U.S. and U.K. charts.

“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Umbrella Sam

...And while we’re on the subject of bassists, Elton’s early live shows are really interesting to watch, since it initially consisted of him, Nigel Olsson, and Dee Murray, so Dee’s bass parts obviously tended to stand out more. If you’re willing to spend 10 minutes on an Elton song, here’s a really good performance of “Madman Across the Water” by the trio:

Also, so I can say I didn’t just post Elton music in this thread, here’s one of my favorite Queen songs:

“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

...And while we’re on the subject of bassists, Elton’s early live shows are really interesting to watch, since it initially consisted of him, Nigel Olsson, and Dee Murray, so Dee’s bass parts obviously tended to stand out more. If you’re willing to spend 10 minutes on an Elton song, here’s a really good performance of “Madman Across the Water” by the trio:

Also, so I can say I didn’t just post Elton music in this thread, here’s one of my favorite Queen songs:

Dee Murray was a fantastic melodic pop bassist who died way too young and yes you can hear him better in that vid you posted.  I've tried learning "I've Seen That Movie Too" and there are subtleties in the bass I can't catch because of the orchestration.  I wish some isolated bass tracks for Dee Murray would show up on YouTube.

Some Elton John links to hard rock and metal below.

Elton John performing with Saxon.....talk about an unlikely mix, but yes, Elton is on piano in this song.  From Saxon's 1986 ROCK THE NATIONS album.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Offline metaldams

Hell yes, now we're talking!  Ronnie James Dio is fantastic, but Ritchie Blackmore is unreal here.  He's my all-time favorite guitar player, and when you pair "Stargazer" with "A Light In the Black" you get one of the greatest sides of vinyl ever.  Between these two songs, you get Blackmore's guitar playing at its peak, and Tony Carey's synth solo in the latter is also impressive.  Mind blowing stuff that makes this world a better place.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Offline metaldams

"Kashmir" is excellent and PHYSICAL GRAFITTI is probably my favorite Zeppelin album.  However my favorite Zeppelin song is....

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Love Achilles, but sometimes I find it hard to be "objective" about Zeppelin or their albums, since I love pretty much anything they recorded in the studio--even something considered a "throwaway track" like Hats off To Roy Harper...

Usually, I enjoy Achillles better live, but the fadeout on the "Presence" album into that killer bass from For Your Life is tough to beat...

Offline metaldams

Love Achilles, but sometimes I find it hard to be "objective" about Zeppelin or their albums, since I love pretty much anything they recorded in the studio--even something considered a "throwaway track" like Hats off To Roy Harper...

Usually, I enjoy Achillles better live, but the fadeout on the "Presence" album into that killer bass from For Your Life is tough to beat...

I like just about everything Zeppelin has done too, even PRESENCE and IN THROUGH THE OUTDOOR (I also dig the last 2 70's Sabbath albums with Ozzy everybody seems to rag on).  Since I like just about everything, I will tell you the one song I dislike - D'yer Mak'er.

I admit I can tolerate the song more than I used to, but it's still not a favorite.  I just never could get into reggae, in general, the beat is too comatose for my brain.  Even when the Stones tried it on BLACK 'N BLUE,  just.....no.  Also, I hate the smug way the band knocks Americans for pronouncing it like it's spelled and not calling it "Jamaica."  Like they're in some special club and us peasants don't know any better.  Well, like with Chico Marx, the secret password is swordfish....or is that mud shark?  [pie]

Anyway, love Zeppelin, just not that one song.  I'm glad they called it quits when they did too.  Actually Diesel, between them and Rush, your two bands, they went out with dignity more than any other band I can think of.  KISS and Ozzy they ain't.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Scorpions were best with Uli Roth on guitar.  The guitar solo towards the end of this song gives me chills.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Here's a song called "Singularity" by Darlingside - their harmonies remind of me something like a modern day Crosby Stills and Nash. And look out for that violin solo!

Offline metaldams

Here's a song called "Singularity" by Darlingside - their harmonies remind of me something like a modern day Crosby Stills and Nash. And look out for that violin solo!

That was pretty good!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Great song from 1965, Jackson C. Frank's Blues Run the Game: