Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

AXS Music TV Network

Offline Moose Malloy

I don't know if this channel is new or just new to my area, but if you like performer bio's or even song bio's you might want to check it out. I read  the music opinion topic here so I know there used to be music interest here, and I checked out a You Tube vid by one of you playing the bass guitar (quite well) a month back.

The AXS station seems to originate in the UK and features Metal, Hair bands, Pop bands, Country and even Motown. The bio's seem to be from the 90's to around 2010. Most are commercial free and are R rated. There is also concerts and some whacked out programming of Japanese wrestling and WOW lady wrestling and a bad movie or two per week. Time fillers I suspect.

Being a frustrated musician (no talent) I enjoy the education in the bio's and specifically the process of creating a song in the studio. There are top 10 vocalist, bass players, etc countdown shows that I take issue with but that's part of the fun. Weekends are the best for viewing and there's plenty of replays weekdays. This weekend there's a Ringo/Geo. Martin show from about a year or so before Martin died, I'm guessing, and a Pink Floyd album "making of" show, Doors and more.

It's channel 106/1106 HD on ATT U-verse and 340 Direct TV and 167 Dish. Eager to hear some feedback!

Offline metaldams

I'm the resident music geek and bass player in these here parts (thanks for the compliment).  I wouldn't be able to watch that channel since I don't get any type of cable.  Between my massive movie and concert DVD collection and YouTube, I have more than enough to last a lifetime.  Sounds like a cool channel, though.

George Martin note.  After I graduated high school a little over 20 years ago, I went to Rock Walk in L.A. where there are rock star hand prints.  In addition to finding out my hands are the same size as Ozzy Osbourne's, George Martin had enormous hands.  The top of my finger tip went to where the bottom of his fingers began.  I'm a really big Beatles fan.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

I'm the resident music geek and bass player in these here parts (thanks for the compliment).  I wouldn't be able to watch that channel since I don't get any type of cable.  Between my massive movie and concert DVD collection and YouTube, I have more than enough to last a lifetime.  Sounds like a cool channel, though.

George Martin note.  After I graduated high school a little over 20 years ago, I went to Rock Walk in L.A. where there are rock star hand prints.  In addition to finding out my hands are the same size as Ozzy Osbourne's, George Martin had enormous hands.  The top of my finger tip went to where the bottom of his fingers began.  I'm a really big Beatles fan.
That's interesting about Martin. Now that I think about it he's always seated at the mixing board when he's on camera. He's probably tall.

I watched a You Tube video TOP 10 Bassists and Louis of the Brothers Johnson was not mentioned. As a music nerd AND a bass man what's your take? His slapping solo on STOMP is amazing to me. Is that a cheap trick or a unique skill?

Offline metaldams

That's interesting about Martin. Now that I think about it he's always seated at the mixing board when he's on camera. He's probably tall.

I watched a You Tube video TOP 10 Bassists and Louis of the Brothers Johnson was not mentioned. As a music nerd AND a bass man what's your take? His slapping solo on STOMP is amazing to me. Is that a cheap trick or a unique skill?

The bass playing in STOMP is very good like most of that 60's - early 80's r&b/soul/disco/funk music.  Computers have absolutely ruined modern dance music, there used to be good backing bands.  As far as the slap solo in that song, lots of guys do that.  That style was invented by Larry Graham from Sly and the Family Stone.  I never learned that style myself.  While I appreciate the guys who do it, I've never been inspired to learn it.  I can play some old Motown lines, but that's before the slap style bass came in.  Actually, the Motown bass player, James Jamerson, never bothered to learn that style.  Whenever producers asked him to play it, he'd tell them to ask his son, also a bassist, to do it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

The bass playing in STOMP is very good like most of that 60's - early 80's r&b/soul/disco/funk music.  Computers have absolutely ruined modern dance music, there used to be good backing bands.  As far as the slap solo in that song, lots of guys do that.  That style was invented by Larry Graham from Sly and the Family Stone.  I never learned that style myself.  While I appreciate the guys who do it, I've never been inspired to learn it.  I can play some old Motown lines, but that's before the slap style bass came in.  Actually, the Motown bass player, James Jamerson, never bothered to learn that style.  Whenever producers asked him to play it, he'd tell them to ask his son, also a bassist, to do it.
VERY informative. One more bassist question: I was surprised to learn that John Entwistle was considered one of the very best.  I was a big WHO fan and I never noticed his contribution. Compared to his mates he seemed painfully laid back. Got any thoughts?

I watched "Produced by George Martin" this week and it was excellent. Seems it was first a book. I did not know that his first producing job was on british comedy records...did that for years before getting into purely music.  Then he was producing for the Animals, Rory Storm and just about anybody that would hire him. He was never a Beatles exclusive producer.

Here's a promo on the documentary  http://www.axs.tv/news-and-docs/docs-that-rock-george-martin/
BTW he does appear to be at least 6'4"

Offline metaldams

VERY informative. One more bassist question: I was surprised to learn that John Entwistle was considered one of the very best.  I was a big WHO fan and I never noticed his contribution. Compared to his mates he seemed painfully laid back. Got any thoughts?

I watched "Produced by George Martin" this week and it was excellent. Seems it was first a book. I did not know that his first producing job was on british comedy records...did that for years before getting into purely music.  Then he was producing for the Animals, Rory Storm and just about anybody that would hire him. He was never a Beatles exclusive producer.

Here's a promo on the documentary  http://www.axs.tv/news-and-docs/docs-that-rock-george-martin/
BTW he does appear to be at least 6'4"

John Entwistle was a bass master mere mortals such as myself could never approach. 

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Moose Malloy

That was the damndest virtuoso performance I've EVER seen. How in the world can a man play like that? Stupfying talent.

I have to think THE WHO missed the musical boat: you got a frenetic buffoon on the kit, a windmilling, property smashing "nose on a stick" on lead and a pretty-boy front man that couldn't sing worth a fuck and the true genius goes unnoticed. What a waste.

I read Townsend's autobiography and I don't recall any mention of John's incredible talent. This has changed my opinion of the group (for the worse)