Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Them Thar Hills (1934) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/themthar.html
http://www.lordheath.com/menu1_149.html

Every moment of this short is funny.  Every moment.  One of my absolute favorite Laurel and Hardy films and you know what, depending on what day of the week it is, if you combine it with its sequel, perhaps my favorite.  This short just flat out rules, from Stan's stupidity, (too much high living = must move to the basement, the mountains are up in the multitudes - eat your heart out Leo Gorcey, paying money for that rented trailer is less than nothing), to Billy Gilbert's subtle door knob turn that never was, to Stan carrying Ollie, to Ollie driving a car with his foot in a cast that somehow goes past the passenger side, to a reciprocal retaliation scene for the ages, to a drunk Mae Busch looking funny in Stan's hat, to me not knowing when to finish a run on sentence, I just love this short.

The reciprocal retaliation scene is beyond hysterical.  Just the sight of Charlie Hall with a plunger on his forehead, tarred and feathered, is a comic image for the ages.  These men are so interested in a battle of wits they don't care what physical harm comes to them, you have to wait your turn to have your say.  "Why, sure Mr. Hall, you can throw that lighted match on my gasoline doused ass, who am I to stop you?"  What's also great is that after all that drinking, Stan and Ollie are still too dumb to realize there's liquor in that well, and Ollie jumps right in, giving us a sight gag for the ages.

Also love the tension in the middle where Ollie keeps singing that song, slowly killing time as they inch there way towards that liquored up water with "iron."  I never noticed this before, but pay close attention to the roundabout way Stan pours the coffee, good stuff.  I also love the timing when Stan finally makes Ollie's tune a call and response bit, climaxing in a perfectly timed bonk on the head from Ollie.

A must see short, so good they made a sequel.  Classic, classic, classic stuff.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Yes, this is a very well-made short. I mean, considering that they made a sequel, you’d expect that to be the case anyway.

It’s interesting because it’s actually been quite a while since we’ve seen one of these reciprocal retaliation endings. What seemed to be really common in the silent era actually wasn’t utilized as much in the sound era as you’d think, so perhaps that’s why this and TIT FOR TAT both feel so special. That’s not meant to knock this short in any way; the reciprocal retaliation, though not quite as large-scale as the ones in the silent era, is still paced very well here and you can tell they had a lot of fun making it (literally, there’s a part where you can see Charlie Hall cracking up over the antics happening to him).

The reciprocal retaliation only takes up part of the short, though. The rest of it mainly relies on Laurel and Hardy’s work as a duo and, unsurprisingly, they handle themselves very well. The whole bit with them humming the song while trying to make something to eat, which takes up a good of amount of the runtime, is very good and I also really like the part at the beginning with Laurel attempting to carry Hardy. And, of course, there’s always the minor recurring gags in the Laurel and Hardy series, like Hardy insisting on entering the trailer first, which have been used so much throughout the years, yet are still just as funny as the first time.

Agreed, this definitely deserves to be regarded as a classic.

10 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Classic is right.  I could go on, but I know I'd be preaching to the choir.  Am I wrong, or is this the period in which Finlayson went back to Scotland for a while, thus elevating Charlie Hall?  And BTW, the song is called The Old Spinning Wheel ( In The Parlor ).

Offline metaldams

Classic is right.  I could go on, but I know I'd be preaching to the choir.  Am I wrong, or is this the period in which Finlayson went back to Scotland for a while, thus elevating Charlie Hall?  And BTW, the song is called The Old Spinning Wheel ( In The Parlor ).

Looking at Finlayson's 1934 filmography, it does appear to be all British film, so I guess so!  Never knew he left America for a bit, but yeah, last Laurel and Hardy appearance before this was FRA DIAVOLO and doesn't appear again until THICKER THAN WATER, which we haven't discussed yet.

I have been watching a DVD set of Stan Laurel solo silents recently, Fin appears in a ton of those!  Even a few shorts he stars in that Stan directed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

This was really enjoyable. Mae Busch, who is usually the very mean and sometimes abusive wife of Ollie, is actually very friendly here. Of course, a large part of that is because she is drunk, I love it when she wears Stan's hat. The mountain setting and trailer sets are good. A very enjoyable short film overall, it's amazing that they would only be doing short films for a few more months after this. I know you my reviews aren't so detailed, but that's partly because Laurel and Hardy made brilliant pictures on simple premises.

Online Samurai

As I tend to do in my 'reviews', I'll skip repeating the well deserved reasons why this short is a classic. I love, after multiple viewings, to share the small moments that hit my funny bone at the perfect angle.

#1 Stan making coffee:
It's a simple assignment...for anyone not named Stan. The genius moment(s) occur after filling the coffee can with water, instead of the coffee pot. Upon realizing his idiocy, Stan begins to correct his mistake. While that occurs, he ever so casually sneaks a peek to see if Ollie is wise...THREE TIMES! It was so subtle, and so damn perfect.

#2 Mae gets it:
After taking a drink of 'water'. Mae knows exactly what the water contains. And, is the only one who knows. Her two eyebrow raises, one after her first sip, and the second after winking at Ollie "okay baby, you don't know what you're missing!"...are PERFECT.

#3 Silly sound effect
After Ollie is blown out of the well, the sound he makes upon landing is one that never fails to make me laugh. NEVER!