Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Blue Blazes (1936) - Buster Keaton

Offline metaldams

It's Christmas Eve morning 2018 which also doubles as my 40th birthday.  I know exactly what you folks are thinking, "Oh my God, that's so awesome! Metaldams actually shares a birthday with Lemmy!"  (I made a Rob Halford reference last review.  A Dio, Ozzy and Bruce Dickinson reference should be coming soon).  It doesn't get more rock 'n' roll than that, folks.  Well, there's only one thing that can make this milestone morning more rock 'n' roll, and that would be reviewing Buster Keaton's BLUE BLAZES, so folks, I'm going to deliver.

Don't get too spoiled by the genius of GRAND SLAM OPERA, none of the other Educational shorts are that good, including BLUE BLAZES.  Still, this short has its moments.  My favorite bit is at the beginning with Keaton having to apologize to his superior why as a fireman he misses the fires, be it falling off the truck into the river or falling down a man hole.  The moment he's told if he disappears one more time he'll be transferred, he falls down the firehouse pole hole - perfect wit and timing and great Keaton.  We also get Keaton's classic gag later where it looks like he's going to leave the fire truck only to find out, through camera trickery, he's actually grasping onto another object, and I love the loneliness when he's out on the street after falling off the truck yet again, looking around, palm on forehead surveying the area.  Just classic Keaton bits I've grown to love over the years.

What keeps this from being a classic is the tacked on nature of the plot.  Specifically, the girls starting a fire so they can leave the house doesn't gel with the rest of the plot and feels a bit forced.  Even so, still some fun bits in the scene like Keaton riding that bike solo with all the fire equipment as well as his interactions carrying the chief's wife down the ladder.

Good short overall as far as low budget two reel comedies go, I think I, as well as others, look for a higher standard that's a bit unfair because the star is Buster Keaton.  I did find this short overall enjoyable and again, I've seen COPS 100 times, this short maybe 3 or 4, so there is that freshness factor.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Well, it may not be GRAND SLAM OPERA, but I will admit that I was surprised at how good BLUE BLAZES was as well, especially compared to the more recent string of Educational shorts prior to these two. I really like the idea of Keaton constantly disappearing due to his tendency to fall off the truck; it’s a plot that actually feels pretty fitting for him. Most of the gags work well too; I love the part with him and his bicycle, as well as him using the fence as a more stable ladder. Even before that climax, though, the gags feel pretty natural for Keaton, including him not getting on the fire truck when you think he will and when he attaches the hose to the fire hydrant without realizing the truck has left without him. I also really like the timing on the fire bell ringing right after the co-worker says that there have been no fires since he worked there.

The girls starting the fire does feel a bit out of place, but I don’t think it really affects the quality of the short as a whole. My problem with the short is that it feels as though it relies a little bit too much on the concept. Yes, I really like the concept, but this short attempts to milk it for all its worth, to the point where it does get a little tiresome. In particular, I’m not fond of the part where Keaton walks into the chief’s house and bothers his wife. It just feels a bit too Elmer-like for my taste and also really tries to hit the audience on the head with the idea. There also feels like there’s just one too many gags of Keaton disappearing right before the chief’s eyes.

I was surprised by how much I liked BLUE BLAZES; not a classic, but definitely one I’d be willing to check out again.

8 out of 10

Also, happy belated birthday metaldams.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Sam speaks for me in his first paragraph, that's pretty much everything I would have said.  I can't myself go along with his second paragraph since the short doesn't pale for me in the second half as it seems to do for him.  I very much like the concept that Elmer literally disappears when he's needed - I've never seen anyone else do that gag, probably because Keaton is the only one who could fall that fast and completely out of sight and in so many different ways without killing himself.  Excellent work.  The Fire Chief is obviously a goombah of mine if the baked-bean-and-chowdah accent means anything.

Offline metaldams

Here's an interesting article on locations used in this film:

https://silentlocations.com/2018/09/03/buster-keatons-blue-blazes-in-astoria/

Thanks for posting that, it's really cool seeing modern pictures juxtaposed with the older black and white.  Must be even more fascinating for those who live in the area.  Metallica released a box set fairly recently and one of the extras is a concert from the town I live in in 1989 (I moved to Delaware in 1992).  Seeing brief footage of fans lined up on Main Street and seeing how my town changed is really fascinating, and it's only brief footage.  I always envy California fans for having all these cool locations in their area, I wonder if they take it for granted?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
A pleasantly enjoyable little short.  The fire chief is none other than Nat Carr, Mr. Morton from PARDON MY SCOTCH.  I recognized him instantly, but it took until the 10 minute mark to remember where I had seen him.  A fine actor in bit roles because of his ability to show bewilderment.  He was apparently Ukrainian, but moved to the U.S.A. as an infant.

I thought there were some slow bits, but I enjoyed this short overall.  You have to let go of certain things, like common sense, to enjoy any comedy, and this is just part of it.  Girls setting a small fire to get the fire department to show up is classic, and I wonder where the girls went since apparently Buster was the only fireman at the station.

Buster is a classic in this setting.  He gives a deadpan reason why he disappears, and then does a great bit to disappear again... and again... and again.  This plot at least feels written for him even if it isn't an all-time classic.  The resourcefulness screams Keaton, and his recently-found sobriety shows.  The only other actor I have seen who could pull this whole film off as well as Buster did is, well, Buster.

9/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Mabuse

One of the better Keaton Educational two-reelers, with good use of Astoria locations. The video quality is OK, but the sound leaves much to be desired. It will be nice to see a high-quality 35mm print, which reportedly exists.

https://cinemuseumllc.com/f/the-spice-of-the-program-has-a-new-home

7.5/10