Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The E-Flat Man (1935) - Buster Keaton

Offline metaldams

The E-FLAT MAN is Keaton trying to fit into the world of screwball comedy, a genre that was extremely popular at the time and which was taking over the brand of humor Keaton was known for.  The one aspect of screwball comedy Keaton does not partake in is the fast, breathless joke or wisecrack a second verbal style that can so often be seen in those films.  He remains an essentially silent comedian who only speaks when necessary much like the other Educational films....and as he wished to do at MGM.  What is screwball comedy like is the situation.  Keaton and his girl, again played by Dorothea Kent, are trying to elope, accidentally steal a police car in the process, and are under the impression they are in trouble with the law.  The whole short revolves around the confusion stemming from this - a situation gone out of control that works out in the end. The majority of the humor revolves around this too, as there are very few physical gags.  Keaton does get one nice pole vault on top of a house and there is a brief second where he impersonates a scarecrow to hide from the law like he would in the old days, but beyond that, you get the feeling Keaton is aiming for screwball comedy on a low budget.  The moment this becomes blatantly obvious is when he gets Dorothea Kent to show some leg to attract attention while hitch hiking.  That would be straight out of IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT.

Again, not a classic, but an interesting twenty minutes for the long in the tooth Keaton fan.  Basically Keaton trying to mold his character with the times.
- Doug Sarnecky

Dorothea Kent is certainly an obliging lass, not a complaint out of her the whole way.  Another happy ending for Elmer.  Bud Jamison sighting.  Also, the crook who tried to steal aspirin is the same guy who told the stooges that they'd inherited the Madame De France.

Offline metaldams

Speaking of Ms. Kent, this is the final installment of the Keaton/Kent trilogy.  There will be other leading ladies going forward.  Interestingly enough, HORSES' COLLARS appears to be her first credited role, and she acted in bit and supporting roles up until the late 40's.
- Doug Sarnecky

Also, be grateful that there are better drugs nowadays than aspirin for a toothache.  A friend of mine who was undergoing dental surgery was asked by his dentist if he had a preferred painkiller.  He said to the dentist " I want what YOU take, motherfucker".

Offline metaldams

And does anyone know what the title means?

I have no clue.  You being a musician, I don't need to tell you e-flat is a musical note, but I have no idea what that has to do with this film.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Also, be grateful that there are better drugs nowadays than aspirin for a toothache.  A friend of mine who was undergoing dental surgery was asked by his dentist if he had a preferred painkiller.  He said to the dentist " I want what YOU take, motherfucker".

Had wisdom teeth surgery 8 years ago, took two oxycodones and I was euphoric. Holy shit.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

She's adorable.

Yeah she was.  Another adorable early Stooge actress shows up a few films from now, but sadly in a small role.  It's fun seeing all these Stooge actors in these Educational shorts.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Well, this was definitely an improvement over the last couple shorts. While it does take some elements from THE GOAT and THE SCARECROW, THE E-FLAT MAN still has enough to it to make it stand out a bit, even if it doesn’t stand out a lot. The opening with Keaton and Dorothea Kent constantly missing each other while trying to escape is pretty funny and, as few physical gags as there are, the few there are are very effective, like when Keaton and Kent attempt to hitch a ride on the train or when Bud Jamison and the other cop tackle Keaton towards the end. There are spots that drag and the gag involving the ventilated refrigerator takes way too long to build up for very little payoff. Still, there’s some nice stuff to enjoy and it is interesting to see how Keaton handles screwball comedy, and we even get to see him do a brief parody again.

7 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Another Stooge connection: the other cop with Bud is Dick Curtis!
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline metaldams

Another Stooge connection: the other cop with Bud is Dick Curtis!

You're right, and I think there's another Al Thompson sighting too.  He's gotta be in 3000 films, and possibly spoke as many words.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
I thought it was a good short.  The plot didn't really fit Buster, but Buster got as much of himself in there as possible.  Examples: the ladder, ducking and getting wide-eyed when the first bullets were fired, the scarecrow, the slow walk when the cops stock to pick up Buster and Dorothy.

Yes, this is a screwball comedy, and it shows.  However, in a rarity for Educational, we have a full cast of competent actors, which helps things along.  Dorothy Kent is adorable as always.

I'm so used to seeing Bud Jamison I recognized him from the first back shot.  The old man farmer is Si Jenks, the justice of the peace in THE THREE TROUBLEDOERS among other Stooge roles.

8/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Dr. Mabuse

One of the better Educational two-reelers and a pleasant change of pace for Keaton. "The E-Flat Man" benefits from Charles Lamont's breezy direction and some nice location shooting. Buster and Dorothea Kent have an engaging chemistry that elevates a thin script and Educational's limited budget.  Far from vintage Keaton, but worth seeing. 

7/10