Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Devil's Brother (1933) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/fradiav.html
http://www.lordheath.com/menu1_246.html

THE DEVIL'S BROTHER is based on an 1812 operetta called FRA DIAVOLO, a title by which this film goes by in Europe.  No doubt this was a prestige project for Roach studios, as Hal Roach took a rare credit as not only producer, but also director.  High production values, lots of musical numbers, a huge cast, an intricate plot all lead to a longer running time, so I wonder if Roach could demand more money from theaters as a result? It appears Ollie has stated he prefers the Laurel and Hardy features with the bigger production values because he feels the comics themselves cannot carry features.  While this statement is certainly up for debate, it's interesting food for thought as we go forward, as more features of higher and lower production values will be discussed for contrast.  Before getting into the meat of this review, Hal Roach did have a co-director in the comic scenes named Charley Rogers.  For a Stooge link, he played the Larry role in the Columbia Shemp solo remake of PUNCH DRUNKS called A HIT WITH A MISS.

Bottom line, THE DEVIL'S BROTHER is an excellent film with Laurel and Hardy in it, but not an excellent Laurel and Hardy film.  That's not to say Laurel and Hardy don't have their moments, as they do.  They really feel more like the comic relief and are no doubt top billed to put butts in the seats.  The hanging scene is a bit controversial, but I appreciate the absurdity of it....and it's not like Diavolo gives Stan an easy choice.  The whole son bit always puts a smile on face...again, just the absurdity of it all and the way they sell such a premise is fantastic.  Also, while having very little to do with the plot, kneesy easy nosy and the finger wave routines, complete with a frustrated Henry Armetta, are fun bits that I imagine countless kids have tried to pull off....it's not easy!  So yes, a good amount of fun Stan and Ollie bits here, they're just not the glue that holds this together.

The star of the film is no doubt Dennis King as Diavolo.  A handsome, charismatic roguish guy who can play a bandit character perfectly.  He reminds me of Errol Flynn except King could also sing in an operatic style very well.  No weak pansy carrying the non comic plot like is so often the case in comedies of this type.  Thelma Todd is as gorgeous as she ever was and you gotta dig that only in a pre code world plot of where the 500,000 francs were hidden.  Now there's a gold digging adventure millions of guys would have signed up for.  Jim Finlayson is also wonderful as the rich and aloof husband who doesn't appreciate the beauty he has in Ms. Todd.  Laurel and Hardy are good, but what's discussed in this paragraph is the main plot of the film.

The musical numbers are fine for the most part, the production values great, and this is the first of a few high production Laurel and Hardy features which would be interspersed with bona fide Laurel and Hardy features which yes, on average have shorter running times.  Wheeler and Woolsey would do a similar costume drama comedy a year after this called COCKEYED CAVALIERS at RKO, a film Umbrella Sam has reviewed if you'll just click on his link in his signature.  Also, Irving Thalberg would also mix the high production value with comic thing when The Marx Brothers joined MGM in 1935.

For me, not what I want to watch when I want pure Stan and Ollie, but good for plain old fashioned Hollywood.

- Doug Sarnecky

Metal, your eloquence has brought me back to my childhood, which, according to my wife, isn't that far away at this point anyhow, and I remember the highlights that you mentioned, at least to the point where I realize I have actually never seen this film as it was released, and have only seen the version that was cut down to a two-reeler and run on T V in the afternoons for the kiddies.  It must have been less than coherent dramatically, but apparently it contained all of the L & H footage, since I remember pretty much everything you mentioned.  To this day I can do kneesie-earsie-nosie, and I sometimes do  when I'm stuck in a boring situation like an airport waiting area with friends.  The finger wiggle is, of course, easy, but I guess Stan introduced it here, I've  never seen it anywhere else, at least not before 1934.  Ollie teetering on the tables at the mercy of a drunken Stan is indelible, and I always liked the music.  I do remember watching this with my younger brother many years later, with him complaining that scenes like Stan getting snockered because he can't stop the flow of wine are stagnant and not funny.  I got his point, which is when I first realized that these things were made for real movie theaters, where the picture is huge ( and crystal-clear, at least in the early runs ) and the subtle moves can be more easily seen, and you're surrounded by a couple hundred people whose laughter is contagious.  Watching as we were on a crappy vintage-1965 home T V, or nowadays on a tiny portable dvd screen, we were and are going to lose a lot.
     But I do remember being delighted by this one, which was not always the case with my first L & H exposures.  The ending of Dirty Work, for example, where Ollie turns into a chimp, scared the living bejesus out of six-year-old me.

Offline Umbrella Sam

While THE DEVIL’S BROTHER is good, I do have to agree with John Brennan on Laurel and Hardy Central in that I found it a bit underwhelming, as it does seem to have a very popular reputation. I think metaldams’s point about Laurel and Hardy being the comic relief might be the exact reason why I feel like this doesn’t work as well as it could have.

Even though Roach and Charley Rogers are both credited as co-directors, in reality Rogers solely handled the comedy scenes while Roach solely handled the dramatic scenes. Even the cameramen and editors were different between the comedic and dramatic moments. The result is that it feels like two separate films for a majority of it. Laurel and Hardy barely interact with any of the major characters besides Diavolo (I don’t recall them ever interacting with Lady Rocburg), and besides giving away Diavolo’s identity towards the end, they do little to help the romantic interests. The MGM Marx Brothers films, regardless of their individual quality, at least took the time to make sure that the Marx Brothers interacted with the more dramatic characters, so they could have a larger influence. Laurel and Hardy themselves did this much better with their next operetta, BABES IN TOYLAND. I know this may not seem like that big of a deal, but it makes the film feel choppy and the dramatic and comedic moments don’t always balance out.

Still, there is a lot to like about the film. The dramatic moments are handled very well, thanks both to a great cast and some pretty capable direction on Roach’s part. Despite some choppy editing, the story is pretty coherent and the set and costume design is pretty good as well. The one problem with the story is that the romance feels pretty rushed, but, again, it’s still coherent and I’d rather have that than a romance that goes on for way too long and makes the film dull. The song sequences aren’t dull, but like Brennan, the only one I can remember is Diavolo’s song he sings to announce his arrival, and that’s mainly because it’s performed several times throughout the film.

Laurel and Hardy don’t get quite as much opportunity to do some great comedy bits as one might hope, but there still are some highlights. The hanging scene, despite how dark it is, does have a lot of funny lines from Laurel and I also really like the scenes with a sleepy Laurel threatening to ruin everything for Hardy and Diavolo. The kneesy-earsy-nosey and finger wiggle scenes are great on their own, but it is the frustration of Henry Armetta that I consider to be the comedic highlight. He goes even crazier than Hardy did and even after complaining to Laurel for unintentionally introducing the games to him, he still attempts to figure out the tricks throughout the next day. Their screen time is somewhat limited, but they take as much advantage of it as they possibly can.

THE DEVIL’S BROTHER is certainly the most different Laurel and Hardy film up to this point and I do have to admit that it is interesting to see them in a film with such high production values. Personally, I prefer Wheeler and Woolsey’s COCKEYED CAVALIERS to this film. The songs are more memorable, there’s a much larger scale climax, and the story is more focused on its lead comedians while at the same time still allowing them to meet their full comedic potential. THE DEVIL’S BROTHER is still good on its own, managing to both succeed in its drama and comedy, it just doesn’t mix together that well.

8 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

An excellent comic opera that ranks among the best Laurel and Hardy features. "The Devil's Brother" boasts first-rate production values and a memorable ensemble cast, with plenty of Stan and Ollie amid the music and romance. As a result,  the overall film avoids the schizophrenic storylines that plagued "Bonnie Scotland" and "Swiss Miss." Though a bit overlong compared to other L&H features, it remains a classic in the team's filmography. One of Stan and Ollie's personal favorites.

9/10

Offline HomokHarcos

At this point Roach probably already had aspirations of being a major independent producer, so he decided to produce a lavish feature based on an operetta. I think Laurel and Hardy were supposed to be comic relief, and their main role in this movie was because they were his biggest stars and added box office potential. Overall, I think the dramatic story works much better than Bonnie Scotland and Swiss Miss. At least the story seems to matter and we have leads we care about, unlike later movies where the romantic couples are no-names that feel like they were added on just to pad out the movie. Of course I'm a big fan of Thelma Todd.

Laurel and Hardy were good in their scenes, I like the part when Stan mixes up his words and says they can become rich and rob the poor. I'll admit I tried to the finger thing he does, and was not able to even though he gives a demonstration.