Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Me and My Pal (1933) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/meandpal.html

http://www.lordheath.com/menu1_143.html

I've always thought ME AND MY PAL is one one of the more underrated Laurel and Hardy shorts.  The usual complaint is too much puzzle, not enough else.  Well, for me, I think the idea of taking something simple like a puzzle and building it up into catastrophe is fantastic.  I do think think it's funny watching Stan and Ollie meticulously start the puzzle...Stan in deep concentration shooing Ollie away gently while Ollie looks at the audience in dismay.  Most comedians cannot take such simplicity and make it work, but Stan and Ollie can.  Making the mundane funny means it's not the gags that are funny, but the people who are funny.  Speaking of mundane, all we get at the beginning is Ollie listening to the radio.  Doesn't sound funny on paper, but watch those reactions of his....he makes the scene funny.

For the most part, this plays more like a Hal Roach All Star than a Laurel and Hardy film because everybody gets involved in that puzzle, slowly but surely, one by one.  It's a snowflake developing into an avalanche, until at the end there's house destruction due to a fight over a friggin' puzzle that rivals their classic slapstick films.  This simple puzzle ruins Ollie going to his wedding, and his stock failing at the end is the cherry on top.  Strip that one last bit of dignity to complete the circle.  I've always liked this one, have a feeling I'll be in the minority.  We'll find out.

- Doug Sarnecky

One of the stage names of Hives, the butler, is Walter Plinge.  He is also the safecracker in Midnight Patrol.  His story is more interesting than anything in this short, not to disparage the short.  Read about him if you can find him.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I’ve always liked this one too. I think that the issue people have with this one is that, as it goes along, Laurel and Hardy kind of get lost in the crowd as more and more people contribute to making the puzzle and it does feel at this point that the idea could have been done just as well by any other comedians. The first half, though, does allow Laurel and Hardy to show off their talents mainly through pantomime. Hardy’s expressions while listening to the radio broadcast are great and I also find it hilarious that Hardy always seems to pick up the puzzle piece that Laurel happens to need at that very moment, so Hardy can’t even contribute to the puzzle.

Even if it’s not a great showcase for Laurel and Hardy’s talents, the second half is still pretty good. I love the fact that it’s the police officer who freaks out the most about the missing puzzle piece, treating it as though it were a robbery, and James C. Morton gives some great line deliveries in his role, particularly with the line, “I don’t care if he’s Mr. Dil Pickle!” Roach had a great stock company of supporting actors and it is nice to see them get their own spotlight for once. I do think the ending with Hardy’s stock is a bit too cruel, especially considering how sudden the plot device is, but as a whole the short is pretty solid. It’s got a unique plot and is pretty consistent in terms of the laughs it provides. I agree that this short is underrated.

9 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Just screened this one of the first time. Had me laughing and chuckling throughout. A minor running gag I liked was Stan smacking Ollie in the face with the cab door.

I also liked the "brick joke" of Stan calling up the flowers, particularly how it's set up: it seems a very minor detail, mentioned so much in passing a couple of times that it doesn't really register - may have even been done with possible competence on Stan's part - ...only for us to later realize, with Charlie Hall's appearance, that Stan ordered a wreath complete with "IN MEMORY" sash. I'm giggling thinking about that close-up right now. Priceless.

And yes, the life story of Frank "Hives" Terry (r.n. Frank Ernest Edwards, a.k.a. Nat Clifford, a.k.a. Walter Plinge, a.k.a. Pat Forde...) is quite interesting: https://www.charlieconnelly.com/the-global-misadventures-of-nat-clifford/
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

That's the article I was thinking of and couldn't find, thank you very much, G C.

Offline Umbrella Sam

One of the stage names of Hives, the butler, is Walter Plinge.  He is also the safecracker in Midnight Patrol.  His story is more interesting than anything in this short, not to disparage the short.  Read about him if you can find him.

Just screened this one of the first time. Had me laughing and chuckling throughout. A minor running gag I liked was Stan smacking Ollie in the face with the cab door.

I also liked the "brick joke" of Stan calling up the flowers, particularly how it's set up: it seems a very minor detail, mentioned so much in passing a couple of times that it doesn't really register - may have even been done with possible competence on Stan's part - ...only for us to later realize, with Charlie Hall's appearance, that Stan ordered a wreath complete with "IN MEMORY" sash. I'm giggling thinking about that close-up right now. Priceless.

And yes, the life story of Frank "Hives" Terry (r.n. Frank Ernest Edwards, a.k.a. Nat Clifford, a.k.a. Walter Plinge, a.k.a. Pat Forde...) is quite interesting: https://www.charlieconnelly.com/the-global-misadventures-of-nat-clifford/

Wow! I originally thought you were just referring to the Harold Lloyd incident (which was still pretty bad), but this is something else. Bad luck just seemed to follow him around.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Whether self-inflicted or just plain bad luck, he certainly had his share of international adventures.

Offline metaldams

“White Feather” from R.A. Fox. The puzzle that never got completed.  The things we learn in audio commentaries.

I still do love this short.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

One of my favorite Laurel and Hardy two-reelers — a refreshing anomaly in their body of work.  The "jigsaw puzzle" premise is truly ingenious and would not have worked with any other film comedian. A criminally underrated short that deserves to be better known.

Classic Dialogue:  "Mr. Laurel says that after reviewing the situation from all sides, he is thoroughly reconciled to the fact that the moving picture industry is still in its infancy."

9/10

Offline metaldams

I’m glad there are others who like this short.  Really thought I was the only one until this thread.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

The "jigsaw puzzle" premise is truly ingenious and would not have worked with any other comedian.

Agreed.  The genius of these guys is they take a concept that shouldn’t be funny and make it work.  Imagine one of the thrown together comedy teams at Columbia trying to do this, it just wouldn’t be the same.  Insane pratfalls and slapstick is one thing to pull off, a subtle puzzle gag is entirely another.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline HomokHarcos

I thought this was awesome how everybody was interested in the puzzle. It feels like a Mack Sennett ensemble movie, but it still works. Even the police officer wants to solve it. Ollie strangely plays man here who is about to get married into a rich family, so is he supposed to be marrying into the family for money, or does he actually care for the woman? The Hal Roach lot had a great supporting cast.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Well, that's 20 minutes of my life I won't get back.

I kid.  This was a really enjoyable short.  I don't see what people get so angry over.  I thought the funniest part was that Stan earlier had pulled that particular puzzle piece out of his pocket (when they were waiting in the cab), and I don't think anyone before me mentioned that in their review.  Somehow, at the end, though, there it is.  My only concern is... how did the police know to send a riot squad when there were no witnesses to know there was a riot occurring.

As soon as I saw James C. Morton, I knew things would get crazy.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Tony Bensley

Well, that's 20 minutes of my life I won't get back.

I kid.  This was a really enjoyable short.  I don't see what people get so angry over.  I thought the funniest part was that Stan earlier had pulled that particular puzzle piece out of his pocket (when they were waiting in the cab), and I don't think anyone before me mentioned that in their review.  Somehow, at the end, though, there it is.  My only concern is... how did the police know to send a riot squad when there were no witnesses to know there was a riot occurring.

As soon as I saw James C. Morton, I knew things would get crazy.
I don't think I ever picked up on that regarding the missing puzzle piece. James C. Morton sightings always seem to portend chaos and mayhem!

CHEERS!  [pie]