Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Towed In a Hole (1932) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/toadhole.html
http://www.lordheath.com/menu1_171.html

Laurel and Hardy have an interesting filmography in that they have their share of experimental shorts mixed in with their basic formula slapstick stuff.  Sometimes the experimental stuff works, sometimes it doesn't.  As far as the basic slapstick stuff, it almost always works.  TOWED IN A HOLE is a basic slapstick film sandwiched between two experimental films.  Unlike the two experimental films, TOWED IN A HOLE is an all-time classic, one of the funniest films the boys would ever make.

There are a lot of slapstick films out there, but what makes TOWED IN A HOLE so great is the characters, timing and editing.  Later in the short, Stan's head gets caught in the bottom of the pole that's the foundation of the ship's mast.   Ollie is up high on the mast painting the thing, and Stan has to saw the pole to get his head out, causing the mast to fall along with Ollie.  We know well before it happens Ollie is going to take a huge fall, there's zero element of surprise.  The pleasure is the editing and the build up.  Stan trying to muscle his way out with no luck after previously playing with a saw. Stan using the saw.  A shot of Ollie hearing the sawing noises, looking at the camera as if he kind of knows what's going to happen, yet he continues painting anyway.  It's all about the build up, making the fall that much sweeter.

I love the reciprocal retaliation scene, a Stan and Ollie standard done wonderfully here.  I love them trying to make up only to get into an argument over who started this mess like children.  I love Ollie getting black paint all over his face due to Stan's carelessness and the way the camera goes back and forth between Ollie and Stan running around the boat with only his guilty eyes peeking out.  Again, wonderfully timed stuff. I love the fact that Stan decides the best way to spend his time is to take soap and a hard brush while cleaning the chain and anchor!  I just love this short.

Take a simple idea like selling fresh fish, cutting out the middle man and getting a boat leading to slapstick is good enough for a masterpiece.  Moe, Larry, Curly, Vernon and Rebel are nowhere to be found, and as much as I enjoy their presence, Stan and Ollie are perfect.  A true classic.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

....and I'm going to have to find another video.  Stan and Ollie are speaking German in the one I posted. [pie]

Try this one on for size.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Laurel and Hardy have an interesting filmography in that they have their share of experimental shorts mixed in with their basic formula slapstick stuff.  Sometimes the experimental stuff works, sometimes it doesn't.  As far as the basic slapstick stuff, it almost always works.  TOWED IN A HOLE is a basic slapstick film sandwiched between two experimental films.  Unlike the two experimental films, TOWED IN A HOLE is an all-time classic, one of the funniest films the boys would ever make.

There are a lot of slapstick films out there, but what makes TOWED IN A HOLE so great is the characters, timing and editing.  Later in the short, Stan's head gets caught in the bottom of the pole that's the foundation of the ship's mast.   Ollie is up high on the mast painting the thing, and Stan has to saw the pole to get his head out, causing the mast to fall along with Ollie.  We know well before it happens Ollie is going to take a huge fall, there's zero element of surprise.  The pleasure is the editing and the build up.  Stan trying to muscle his way out with no luck after previously playing with a saw. Stan using the saw.  A shot of Ollie hearing the sawing noises, looking at the camera as if he kind of knows what's going to happen, yet he continues painting anyway.  It's all about the build up, making the fall that much sweeter.

I love the reciprocal retaliation scene, a Stan and Ollie standard done wonderfully here.  I love them trying to make up only to get into an argument over who started this mess like children.  I love Ollie getting black paint all over his face due to Stan's carelessness and the way the camera goes back and forth between Ollie and Stan running around the boat with only his guilty eyes peeking out.  Again, wonderfully timed stuff. I love the fact that Stan decides the best way to spend his time is to take soap and a hard brush while cleaning the chain and anchor!  I just love this short.

Take a simple idea like selling fresh fish, cutting out the middle man and getting a boat leading to slapstick is good enough for a masterpiece.  Moe, Larry, Curly, Vernon and Rebel are nowhere to be found, and as much as I enjoy their presence, Stan and Ollie are perfect.  A true classic.

I think this suffices for me.  I was in full ROTFLMAO-copter-rocket-ship when I watched this one.  This short is absolutely stupendous and, quite frankly, better than over 60% of Three Stooges shorts.  If you're a Stoogephile looking for a Laurel & Hardy film to try, this one would be the one I'd recommend first.

Two grown me fighting like children on a boat.  Stan acts like he's in a play castle half the time, which really drives a lot of great action.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

TOWED IN A HOLE’s genius lies in its simplicity. The set-up is explained in the first few minutes and after that it’s simply gags and gags that build up to everything that could possibly go wrong going wrong. I think it’s also worth noting that the only other actor in this besides Stan and Ollie is Billy Gilbert, and even he’s there simply to explain the boat’s minor problems. This short shows that Stan and Ollie could carry a short entirely by themselves because of how appealing their characters were.

Metaldams’s review basically speaks for me, though I will add one other observation: the music. By this point, Leroy Shield had come up with a good amount of stock music for the Roach studios. They’re pretty catchy numbers on their own, but it’s the editing that really makes them worth noting. They’re always there for the quieter moments on Stan and Ollie’s parts, such as when Stan is sitting inside the boat, and I feel that it contributes to the timing in that way by still keeping even the quieter moments somewhat lively, so while we’re waiting for the inevitable, we still have something to keep us entertained (though Stan and Ollie’s facial reactions also help keep us entertained). TOWED IN A HOLE is a great example of what made Laurel and Hardy’s comedies so great and would probably be a good starting point for first time viewers of their work.

10 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

Definitely one of their greatest shorts of all time, it's entertaining throughout with a very simple premise of them wanting to go on a boat ride. They end up with problems on their boat. I really like the part where Ollie realizes that they are acting childish and petty, only to get into more childish problems. Stan gets his head stuck, but by getting himself unstuck he causes Ollie to fall down! Coincidentally, when I was watching this for the first time, my stepdad called me to help him move a boat. What timing.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Like "Helpmates," some of the best Laurel and Hardy shorts are the simplest.  All you need is Stan and Ollie, two reels of film and barely the hint of a cameo player. "Towed in a Hole" falls in that category. The result is a mini-masterpiece that defines the Laurel and Hardy relationship better than most of their cinematic output. With the exception of Buster Keaton, I would be hard-pressed to find another film comedian whose presence alone could sustain 20 minutes of screen time without lapsing into monotony. 

According to director George Marshall, the original ending was more elaborate (and might have utilized rear projection a la "County Hospital") but enough footage was shot to render it unnecessary. We can be eternally grateful for that decision.

10/10

Offline Tony Bensley

Like "Helpmates," some of the best Laurel and Hardy shorts are the simplest.  All you need is Stan and Ollie, two reels of film and barely the hint of a cameo player. "Towed in a Hole" falls in that category. The result is a mini-masterpiece that defines the Laurel and Hardy relationship better than most of their cinematic output. With the exception of Buster Keaton, I would be hard-pressed to find another film comedian whose presence alone could sustain 20 minutes of screen time without lapsing into monotony. 

According to director George Marshall, the original ending was more elaborate (and might have utilized rear projection a la "County Hospital") but enough footage was shot to render it unnecessary. We can be eternally grateful for that decision.

10/10
Eternally grateful, indeed!

Apart from there being more cast members, has anyone ever noticed the similarities between TOWED IN A HOLE (1932) and BUSY BODIES (1933), especially the endings of both shorts? Interestingly, both shorts were included on a 1990s era "Laurel & Hardy At Work!" VHS, that also included THE MUSIC BOX (1932).

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Samurai

Proof that the most simple, uncluttered premise can be transformed into comedic gold. The hard part is finding the proper talent. 'One in a million' comics will not suffice here, only a pair of 'One in a billion' will cut it. The population of earth at the time of this production was 2 billion. Enter Stan & Ollie.   

I completely concur with all glowing reviews above...with some additional highlights for me. Stan in 'boat detention' was a favorite. Just like an 8 year old, stuck in his bedroom on a rainy Saturday with no toys, friends or supervision. Averting his eyes as his 'opponent' makes his tic-tac-toe marks. Subtle perfection.

My favorite (of many) Ollie visuals, is near the end. Stan is shown to be hog-tied to a barrel...where he can (hopefully) do no further harm to Ollie. Cutting immediately to Ollie for a 4th wall eyebrow raise was the perfect touch. It lasted 1/4 a second, but conveyed his complete self-satisfaction. 

Two reels of sheer goodness...and a personal favorite.

Offline metaldams

There really is a combination of good writing and yes, the right comics to make these films.  Yeah, something tells me this short would not have been the same with El Brendel and Ben Blue.  You’re right, 2 billion people and it took these two men to do it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
There can never be another Stan & Ollie pair.  Metaldams' potshot at El Brendel and Ben Blue made me laugh too.  The thing about Laurel & Hardy is the natural chemistry... they were friends in life, and it translated to the camera over time.
#1 fire kibitzer