The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stunt Men Grips Grunts and Groans

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Hey guys,
With the advent of DVD copies I can make this screenshot and ask who are these three stuntmen in the episode Grips, Grunts and Groans? (It is at 1:27 into the episode)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Sorry about my ceiling lamps in the photo.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
There's another screenshot of the three unidentified stunt men on this page: http://threestooges.net/cast/actor/5086

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
  • Pretty positive that's Johnny Kascier doubling Curly.
  • Maybe Al Thompson doubling Moe? (in some angles it looks like him, but then in others it doesn't quite, so not 100% sure on that one)
  • Don't recognize "fake Larry" at all. What's with the weird run and cartoonish body language, I wonder?
That said, I think someone else (a professional wrestler, perhaps) doubles Curly when it need be in parts of the wrestling match.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
It might just be possible, GreenCanaries, that the cartoon like run may be indicative of a female stunt person. They DID have them in the 30's, ya know. I also wonder ...

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
It might just be possible, GreenCanaries, that the cartoon like run may be indicative of a female stunt person. They DID have them in the 30's, ya know. I also wonder ...

Looking at Giff's screenshot (ceiling lamps and all), the "Larry" stunt double does look to me as though it might be a woman.  Hard to be sure, but I can see the possibility.  Personally, I've thought that the odd run was because the stunt person (whether male or female) was a bit too tall relative to the other stuntmen and the Stooges, and was running while squatting slightly, with the knees bent, throwing the person a bit off balance.

Still haven't a clue who it might be, though.   [shrug]

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain

Well aware of that, Giff. In fact, I have done much research of "Golden Age" stunt persons, including the ladies (off the top of my head: Mary Wiggins, Betty Danko, Aline Goodwin [wrong dates, IMDb...], Loretta Rush, Ione Reed, et al). It seemed they usually worked in bigger productions though, and it didn't seem a lot of them worked in the quick Columbia two-reelers, where it was probably less time-consuming to just put Teddy Mangean, Johnny Kascier, et al in a wig and a dress for a quick pratfall or bit of rough action.

I won't rule out the possibility (though I'm not quite convinced), but considering that nearly every Columbia short I've seen where an actress is doubled, her double is a stuntman in drag (the only two exceptions - where a woman doubles a woman - I can think of being Symona on the rotating platform in SLIPPERY SILKS and a couple of relatively minor pratfalls in the mid-'40s Shemp solos OPEN SEASON FOR SAPS and WHERE THE PEST BEGINS), I can't help but feel it somewhat unlikely.

Personally, I've thought that the odd run was because the stunt person (whether male or female) was a bit too tall relative to the other stuntmen and the Stooges, and was running while squatting slightly, with the knees bent, throwing the person a bit off balance.

Actually, after the fact, the height issue did cross my mind. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that was why.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Actually, after the fact, the height issue did cross my mind. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that was why.

Yeah, I noticed it in the picture I shared from threestooges.net.  I realized that if the stunt person was running with his legs straight, like the others he would be at least half a head taller than "Moe", which wouldn't do.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Thank you, thank you, Green Canaries. It seems this dilemma (Yeah, I don't like these foreign cars, either!) has been lingering quite awhile. I'm glad I inadvertently stirred the cat litter for you. If I offended you about the "lady stunt persons" remark, my sincere apologies. I LOVE MY one and only STOOGE SITE.

Offline GreenCanaries

• Birdbrain
Thank you, thank you, Green Canaries. It seems this dilemma (Yeah, I don't like these foreign cars, either!) has been lingering quite awhile. I'm glad I inadvertently stirred the cat litter for you. If I offended you about the "lady stunt persons" remark, my sincere apologies. I LOVE MY one and only STOOGE SITE.

You're welcome, Giff. And none taken.

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
As Moe would have said... "Whew, got out of that one." (wink) Thanks, Courty, you're a pal!!