Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

She's Oil Mine (1941) - Buster Keaton

Paul Pain · 22 · 12207

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Watch SHE'S OIL MINE in the box above.  Beware Italian subtitles, which I actually read with this.  It's hard to find video links when Columbia is so vicious about ridding YouTube of things they don't even make much profit on.

We have reached the end of Paul Pain's phase of the Buster Keaton reviews.  It's been a journey of over 18 months for us, and I have genuinely enjoyed exploring the oeuvre of the legendary comedian.  I hope we shall someday be able to review productions like his post-war films and late life starring films (like FILM).  I hope to somehow participate when we do the Educational Pictures shorts as well.  We're going to, after this, do a one-off review of one of their shorts, in fact.

Back to SHE'S OIL MINE.  It shows in this short that Buster is tired of Columbia's style.  The opening scene with the pipe, however, is great stuff.  Monty Collins and Buster are actually working well together at this point, and we get to see some acrobatics as well as some cliché jokes.  We're getting traditional Columbia flavor here.

Then comes the house.  A plumbing scene follows that pales in comparison to any of the Three Stooges' plumbing shorts.  It is well-done, however; it's just not prime Curly with Larry reading GONE WITH THE WIND.

The duel scene is a total farce that I enjoy quite much, although the ending is a bit forced.  All in all, it was a pleasant way to end the Keaton-Columbia era, but I'm glad it ended there.

9/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]

P.S. I admit that, due to circumstances, I haven't seen any of the Columbia shorts in 2 years.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Apparently this short is a reworking of THE PASSIONATE PLUMBER, which to date is still the only one of Keaton’s MGM comedies that I haven’t seen. Judging by this, though, I doubt I’m missing much.

Although the opening scene at the shop has got a couple of brief, but amusing physical gags, otherwise the first 2/3 of this are pretty uninteresting, especially the plumbing scenes. Collins is clearly trying, but it’s clear that Keaton was so bored of the Columbia style by this time that there wasn’t much of an attempt to really make a particularly good comedy team between the two of them.

Thankfully, this short does have one part that’s worth watching: the duel scene. Although it does partly revolve around the stupidity of Keaton’s character, the energy and gags are there and they work very well. The hat routine from SPITE MARRIAGE was a nice touch and the running gag involving the gloves and cards also worked pretty well. This scene helps the short tremendously, though the rest of it is so boring that I can see why Keaton decided to depart from Columbia soon after.

6 out of 10

So that ends the Columbia era for Buster Keaton. I have to admit, much like the MGM features, these actually weren’t quite as bad as I was expecting and I do think that critics have tended to be too harsh on them for all these years. They’re not masterpieces by any means and this batch does include the horrific HIS EX MARKS THE SPOT, but for the situation Keaton was in at the time, these could have been a lot worse. Take them for what they are: a low budget series starring a comedian who for the past decade was misunderstood by the major studios and resigning to his fate. However, there are still flashes of the old Keaton brilliance in there and I’m willing to settle for at least a little of that rather than none at all.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Monty Collins has his new nose but his old " Mr. Zero " haircut.  Took me a while to place it.

And the three-sheet above has nothing at all to do with any action in the movie.  I trust that is a cigar in Eddie Laughton's hand, rather than what it looks like.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Who's the babe playing the maid?
I came across a still once on eBay (?) with handwriting on the back that ID'd her as Jacqueline Dalya.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Had Keaton been more or less permanently assigned to Del Lord’s unit it probably would have re-invigorated both men, resulting in a longer and happier stint at Columbia.
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Had Keaton been more or less permanently assigned to Del Lord’s unit it probably would have re-invigorated both men, resulting in a longer and happier stint at Columbia.

This is a great thought... worthy of a special debate of its own.  Any takers for or against this hypothesis?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

This is a great thought... worthy of a special debate of its own.  Any takers for or against this hypothesis?

I do know Del Lord didn't tell actors how to act down to the most explicit mannerism like White supposedly did and Lord gas that pedigree at Sennett and was known for physical comedy (Lord's Sennett stuff had some insane chases I would guess Keaton would appreciate on a technical level), so in theory, I'd agree working with Lord more often may have been a better fit.

Will get to reviewing this short AND the next Laurel and Hardy review this weekend.  A combination of a new and much less stressful position at work (as well as more lucrative, best of both worlds), in addition to now having Friday off, I'll be in a much better mindset to review stuff going forward.  Work was killing me, I feel blessed with my change in fortune.  Anywho, enough of that, will be trading off Laurel and Hardy with Educational Keaton shorts.  Should be fun.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Offline Umbrella Sam

I think it’s worth noting that Lord actually did work with Keaton again for a 1952 film called PARADISE FOR BUSTER, a film that’s better than all of Keaton’s Columbia shorts and possibly the closest representation of how Keaton would have handled his own independent sound film.

Despite this and the fact that the quality of the two Lord shorts is better than the quality of the White ones, I think Keaton would have ended up leaving around the same time anyway. Although White was probably a major reason for his leaving, the budgets and time spent on the shorts just weren’t up to his standard of quality and since he was able to find other work that allowed him to actually be involved in constructing the comedy, he probably was more interested in doing that than simply being an actor, even for Lord who was not as restrictive as White though also understood the fast pace of completion that Columbia demanded. I have no doubt, though, that the quality of the existing shorts would have been better had Lord been at the helm instead of White, even if they weren’t up to Keaton’s standard.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Jules White started out as fair, then got worse and worse for almost 20 more years.  I will grant you he had moments of competence, but in general his directorial egomania and insensitivity ruined his comics, most of all the stooges.  My rule of thumb is: allowing for his early successes, where his touch was fairly light, the more Jules White, the worse the short.  The fact that he lived so long and left some entertaining interviews tends for no reason except nostalgia to mitigate his suckiness, the same way that Chuck Jones' Looney Tune longevity apparently nowadays mitigates, for no reason, his last 20 years of dismally unfunny big eyeballs.
     This is the long way of saying that Del Lord or really anybody else ( all right, maybe not Harry Edwards )  would have been a better director for Buster than Jules White.

Offline metaldams

Yes, this is a remake of parts of THE PASSIONATE PLUMBER, and the best parts at that.  The plumbing gags and the duel stuff are all in the MGM feature, but I have to say Keaton seems even more out of place here than he does at MGM, so it's not surprising this is his last Columbia.

I'm not sure if the intent was to have Keaton underact while everybody else around him was hysterical, or if Keaton just refused to act like those around him, but the results are Keaton looking like a square trying to fit into a world of circles.  Keaton, as we all know, is not a high strung Stooge type actor, and his underplayed style is much funnier than the Collins and Ames types around him, high strung types not as funny as The Stooges.  At least Ames can take pratfalls, she's not just put to good use here.  But just about the entire cast, minus Keaton, is too over the top.  Controversially, I feel the same way about those surrounding the Stooges in CACTUS MAKES PERFECT...another Collins effort.

Still, Keaton does some fantastic physical stuff in the pipe scene.  The way he keeps his body relatively straight when being twisted to get his finger out of the pipe and the way he takes that spinning tumble while using the hammer is incredibly impressive.  Also, the very last shot after he kisses Elsie Ames and is able to underplay while at the same time still convey he's da man is worth a huge laugh in my book.  Buster himself carries himself well here.  Even with lower budgets than he'd prefer and an environment where his individual brand of comedy is not really nurtured, it's obvious the man still had talent and he's a pleasure to watch.

Speaking of a pleasure to watch, thanks for clearing up who the French Maid is, Green Canaries.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

...and Paul, thanks for all the reviews. 

The first Education short review should be up next weekend.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Freddie Sanborn

Looking forward to the Educationals. A final thought on Lord. When his budgets allowed for, at the very least, outdoor shooting, no one was better. But with WWII-era restricted budgets, Lord’s canvas shrunk from the epic, complex mechanical gags that was his forte. Needing a job, he churned out filler with his old Sennett colleague Andy Clyde and occasionally the Stooges. But if you give a Del Lord one or two standing sets and 2-3 days shooting time, you are really rendering his talents superfluous. No great loss that we were denied a 1941-42 season of Keatons, no matter who was directing. We would never get another Pest from the West.
“If it’s not comedy, I fall asleep.” Harpo Marx

Offline Dr. Mabuse

In Part Three of Kevin Brownlow and David Gill's documentary Buster Keaton: A Hard Act to Follow (1987), Edward Bernds said that Keaton and Del Lord had "a very fine rapport" during the making of Pest From the West and "turned out a pretty good picture considering the budget limitations of any Columbia two-reeler." Bernds interview at the 11:28 mark.

Offline metaldams

In Part Three of Kevin Brownlow and David Gill's documentary Buster Keaton: A Hard Act to Follow (1987), Edward Bernds said that Keaton and Del Lord had "a very fine rapport" during the making of Pest From the West and "turned out a pretty good picture considering the budget limitations of any Columbia two-reeler." Bernds interview at the 11:28 mark.

Thanks for posting that, great clip.  Those Kevin Brownlow/David Gill documentaries in general are quite something and I’m glad they’re on YouTube.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Buster Keaton's last Columbia two-reeler and one of the best — preferable to the MGM mediocrity of "The Passionate Plumber." I agree with Paul Pain that Keaton had enough of the Columbia style and his anger occasionally shows. Nevertheless, Buster's duel sequence works much better in this short and Monty Collins remains an improvement over Jimmy Durante. At least the series didn't end with a clunker.

8/10

Offline Kopfy2013

I will give this a 5 - average ... maybe a little below ... but I liked the maid !
Niagara Falls

Offline HomokHarcos

What a pleasant surprise! This was the only film where Buster Keaton was the lead that I hadn't seen yet, so I am very glad to have found a video for it in this forum. I found this one pretty funny, especially the moments when Buster is smacking people accidently.

Offline I. Cheatam

Buster Keaton's last Columbia two-reeler and one of the best — preferable to the MGM mediocrity of "The Passionate Plumber." I agree with Paul Pain that Keaton had enough of the Columbia style and his anger occasionally shows. Nevertheless, Buster's duel sequence works much better in this short and Monty Collins remains an improvement over Jimmy Durante. At least the series didn't end with a clunker.

8/10

The unmade short WHAT A SOLDIER! would have been interesting to see. The original script is still at the Academy library in Los Angeles.