Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The White Album Challenge

Offline Umbrella Sam

This is a challenge I’ve recently seen on a few other websites and since I know there are at least a few Beatles fans on this website, I thought it would be fun to introduce this here.

So as we all know, in 1968, the Beatles released an album simply called THE BEATLES, although it is usually referred to as THE WHITE ALBUM. It’s unique in that it was the only double album that they ever made. However, what if it was like the other Beatles albums and was limited to one record?

The goal of this challenge is to do just that. Basically, the idea is to cut out tracks until you can get a singular album with them. The goal is to make it around 45 minutes, though if you can’t get close enough to that number, then at least try to keep it from being under 30 minutes or over 50. That’s the only real goal, although if you do want to make it more challenging, here are two other restrictions you can put in place:
1. Do not include all four Harrison compositions. This is the only Beatles album in which Harrison got four songs, as the norm for him was usually one or two songs per album, although he did get to sing three on at least one of them, so the most you can include is three. Also, you have to include at least one Harrison song since he always sang at least one song on each Beatles album, even if he didn’t write it.
2. You can only include one song with Ringo as the lead vocal, since every other album features either one song with him on lead or none at all. You can exclude both if you want, though.

Here is the track listing with times for reference. Note that all the lead vocals are performed by the Beatle who wrote it, with the exception of GOOD NIGHT, in which the lead vocal is by Ringo:
Side 1
   Song                                                                             Writer(s)                           Time
1.BACK IN THE U.S.S.R.                                                McCartney                        2:43
2.DEAR PRUDENCE                                                       Lennon                             3:56       
3.GLASS ONION                                                             Lennon                             2:18
4.OB-LA-DI, OB-LA-DA                                                   McCartney                        3:08
5.WILD HONEY PIE                                                        McCartney                        0:52
6.THE CONTINUING STORY OF BUNGALOW BILL     Lennon                              3:14
7.WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS                        Harrison                            4:45
8.HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN                                    Lennon                             2:43

Total length: 23:39

Side 2
   Song                                                                             Writer(s)                           Time
1.MARTHA MY DEAR                                                     McCartney                        2:28
2.I’M SO TIRED                                                               Lennon                             2:03
3.BLACKBIRD                                                                 McCartney                        2:18
4.PIGGIES                                                                       Harrison                           2:04
5.ROCKY RACCOON                                                     McCartney                        3:33
6.DON’T PASS ME BY                                                    Ringo                                3:51
7.WHY DON’T WE DO IT IN THE ROAD?                      McCartney                        1:41
8.I WILL                                                                           McCartney                        1:46
9.JULIA                                                                            Lennon                             2:54

Total length: 22:38

Side 3
1.BIRTHDAY                                                                    Lennon & McCartney       2:42
2.YER BLUES                                                                  Lennon                            4:01
3.MOTHER NATURE’S SON                                           McCartney                       2:48
4.EVERYBODY’S GOT SOMETHING TO HIDE              Lennon                            2:24
EXCEPT ME AND MY MONKEY
5.SEXY SADIE                                                                 Lennon                            3:15
6.HELTER SKELTER                                                       McCartney                       4:29
7.LONG, LONG, LONG                                                    Harrison                          3:04

Total length: 22:43

Side 4
1.REVOLUTION 1                                                           Lennon                             4:15
2.HONEY PIE                                                                  McCartney                        2:41
3.SAVOY TRUFFLE                                                         Harrison                           2:54
4.CRY BABY CRY                                                            Lennon                            3:02
5.REVOLUTION 9                                                            Lennon                            8:22
6.GOOD NIGHT                                                               Lennon                            3:13

Total length: 24:27

Total album length: 93:35

Also, after you’re done cutting songs, you can change the order of the songs if you want. I’ll post my choices later tonight; I have the songs picked, but I’m still determining what order I’d put them in.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

This is a challenge I’ve recently seen on a few other websites and since I know there are at least a few Beatles fans on this website, I thought it would be fun to introduce this here.

So as we all know, in 1968, the Beatles released an album simply called THE BEATLES, although it is usually referred to as THE WHITE ALBUM. It’s unique in that it was the only double album that they ever made. However, what if it was like the other Beatles albums and was limited to one record?

The goal of this challenge is to do just that. Basically, the idea is to cut out tracks until you can get a singular album with them. The goal is to make it around 45 minutes, though if you can’t get close enough to that number, then at least try to keep it from being under 30 minutes or over 50. That’s the only real goal, although if you do want to make it more challenging, here are two other restrictions you can put in place:
1. Do not include all four Harrison compositions. This is the only Beatles album in which Harrison got four songs, as the norm for him was usually one or two songs per album, although he did get to sing three on at least one of them, so the most you can include is three. Also, you have to include at least one Harrison song since he always sang at least one song on each Beatles album, even if he didn’t write it.
2. You can only include one song with Ringo as the lead vocal, since every other album features either one song with him on lead or none at all. You can exclude both if you want, though.

Here is the track listing with times for reference. Note that all the lead vocals are performed by the Beatle who wrote it, with the exception of GOOD NIGHT, in which the lead vocal is by Ringo:
Side 1
1.BACK IN THE U.S.S.R.                                                McCartney                        2:43
2.DEAR PRUDENCE                                                       Lennon                             3:56       
3.GLASS ONION                                                             Lennon                             2:18
4.OB-LA-DI, OB-LA-DA                                                   McCartney                        3:08
5.WILD HONEY PIE                                                        McCartney                        0:52
6.THE CONTINUING STORY OF BUNGALOW BILL     Lennon                              3:14
7.WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS                        Harrison                            4:45
8.HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN                                    Lennon                             2:43

Total length: 23:39

Side 2
1.MARTHA MY DEAR                                                     McCartney                        2:28
2.I’M SO TIRED                                                               Lennon                             2:03
3.BLACKBIRD                                                                 McCartney                        2:18
4.PIGGIES                                                                       Harrison                           2:04
5.ROCKY RACCOON                                                     McCartney                        3:33
6.DON’T PASS ME BY                                                    Ringo                                3:51
7.WHY DON’T WE DO IT IN THE ROAD?                      McCartney                        1:41
8.I WILL                                                                           McCartney                        1:46
9.JULIA                                                                            Lennon                             2:54

Total length: 22:38

Side 3
1.BIRTHDAY                                                                    Lennon & McCartney       2:42
2.YER BLUES                                                                  Lennon                            4:01
3.MOTHER NATURE’S SON                                           McCartney                       2:48
4.EVERYBODY’S GOT SOMETHING TO HIDE              Lennon                            2:24
EXCEPT ME AND MY MONKEY
5.SEXY SADIE                                                                 Lennon                            3:15
6.HELTER SKELTER                                                       McCartney                       4:29
7.LONG, LONG, LONG                                                    Harrison                          3:04

Total length: 22:43

Side 4
1.REVOLUTION 1                                                           Lennon                             4:15
2.HONEY PIE                                                                  McCartney                        2:41
3.SAVOY TRUFFLE                                                         Harrison                           2:54
4.CRY BABY CRY                                                            Lennon                            3:02
5.REVOLUTION 9                                                            Lennon                            8:22
6.GOOD NIGHT                                                               Lennon                            3:13

Total length: 24:27

Total album length: 93:35

Also, after you’re done cutting songs, you can change the order of the songs if you want. I’ll post my choices later tonight; I have the songs picked, but I’m still determining what order I’d put them in.

Sheesh.  "The White Album" is among my three favorite albums of all time along with Metallica's MASTER OF PUPPETS and Iron Maiden's SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON.  So basically, I love it the way it is, even the "filler."  All 30 tracks add to the album's character.

That said, give me a few days, I'll do what I can.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Clip from a concert I went to with my parents.  8/15/10. Philadelphia

Clip from a concert my Mom was at.  8/15/65 Shea Stadium, exactly 45 years earlier.

She was at this show a year later too.  Scant footage of this show exists.  8/23/66 Shea Stadium

Some schmuck in his room who looks a Hell of a lot like me playing "Please Please Me" on bass
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Alright, here’s my track listing:

Side 1
1. BACK IN THE U.S.S.R.
2. DEAR PRUDENCE
3. MARTHA MY DEAR
4. SAVOY TRUFFLE
5. HELTER SKELTER
6. DON’T PASS ME BY
7. I WILL
8. BLACKBIRD

Side 2
1. BIRTHDAY
2. THE CONTINUING STORY OF BUNGALOW BILL
3. WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS
4. REVOLUTION 1
5. CRY BABY CRY
6. HAPPINESS IS A WARM GUN

I tried to be as fair as possible in terms of representing Lennon and McCartney. I ended up including 5 tracks for each of them in addition to the Lennon-McCartney BIRTHDAY, two Harrison tracks, and Ringo’s DON’T PASS ME BY. If you’ll notice, in my order I actually have all the McCartney songs on side one and most of the Lennon songs on side two. This wasn’t meant to deliberately separate their work. The reason I did this was because I decided I wanted to organize the last four songs so the tone of each got progressively darker, kind of to reflect the deteriorating relationship of the group at this stage (although HAPPINESS, of course, is a bit more all over the place, which is why I felt it would be a great closer in order to reflect the experimental nature of their work). It just so happened that three of them were Lennon songs.

Admittedly, this challenge was a bit harder than I initially expected. Although there were some songs I had no problem cutting (WILD HONEY PIE, WHY DON’T WE DO IT IN THE ROAD?, REVOLUTION 9), I did end up finding myself cutting a decent amount of songs that I happened to really like (cutting JULIA was probably the hardest decision to make; it’s a beautiful song, though I had already included BLACKBIRD and CRY BABY CRY and felt that including another somber ballad would be kind of pushing it). This challenge actually made me appreciate the The White Album more than I ever had. I always thought there were a lot lesser songs on this than there were and now I’m beginning to see why the Beatles themselves had so much trouble cutting down this material in the first place.

Offline Umbrella Sam

Clip from a concert I went to with my parents.  8/15/10. Philadelphia

Clip from a concert my Mom was at.  8/15/65 Shea Stadium, exactly 45 years earlier.

She was at this show a year later too.  Scant footage of this show exists.  8/23/66 Shea Stadium

Some schmuck in his room who looks a Hell of a lot like me playing "Please Please Me" on bass

Thanks for sharing. Always great to see Beatles footage I’ve never seen before, and you did very well on that bass part for PLEASE PLEASE ME.

Offline metaldams

I like the concept of yours getting darker towards the end.  Part of me wants to be cheeky and put "Hey Jude" and "Revolution" in there, but I won't cheat.  I'm doing 3 George songs because he got three on REVOLVER and '68 - '71 George is him at his peak.  These will have to be stereo mixes versus mono, because I think protoheavy metal along with Ringo speaking of blisters on his fingers before the highly contrasting album closer, "Good Night" is a cool idea. Of course, no list can top the album as it actually is.

Side A
1. Back in the U.S.S.R.
2. Dear Prudence
3. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
4. Savoy Truffle
5. Happiness is a Warm Gun
6. Blackbird
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Side B
1. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey
2. Yer Blues
3. Mother Nature's Son
4. Long, Long, Long
5. I'm So Tired
6. Helter Skelter
7. Good Night
- Doug Sarnecky

I'll have to try this when I have more time, although I doubt it will be easy. For now, I just wanted to make a couple of comments:

(1) I've read that George Martin practically begged the Beatles to make it a single LP, but none of them wanted to. In fact, it seems that the double album idea was the only thing all four of them could agree upon at the time!

(2) "Cry Baby Cry" is, of course, divided between the actual Lennon song and McCartney's little 30-second "Take Me Back" link, which I'm inclined to count as a separate (unlisted) track.

"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Umbrella Sam

I like the concept of yours getting darker towards the end.  Part of me wants to be cheeky and put "Hey Jude" and "Revolution" in there, but I won't cheat.  I'm doing 3 George songs because he got three on REVOLVER and '68 - '71 George is him at his peak.  These will have to be stereo mixes versus mono, because I think protoheavy metal along with Ringo speaking of blisters on his fingers before the highly contrasting album closer, "Good Night" is a cool idea. Of course, no list can top the album as it actually is.

Side A
1. Back in the U.S.S.R.
2. Dear Prudence
3. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
4. Savoy Truffle
5. Happiness is a Warm Gun
6. Blackbird
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Side B
1. Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey
2. Yer Blues
3. Mother Nature's Son
4. Long, Long, Long
5. I'm So Tired
6. Helter Skelter
7. Good Night

Good choices, and, yeah, the idea of putting Helter Skelter before Good Night is definitely an interesting idea. I also like the idea of closing side 1 with While My Guitar Gently Weeps. It’s one of my favorite Beatles tracks and probably tied with Something for my favorite Harrison song.

I'll have to try this when I have more time, although I doubt it will be easy. For now, I just wanted to make a couple of comments:

(1) I've read that George Martin practically begged the Beatles to make it a single LP, but none of them wanted to. In fact, it seems that the double album idea was the only thing all four of them could agree upon at the time!

(2) "Cry Baby Cry" is, of course, divided between the actual Lennon song and McCartney's little 30-second "Take Me Back" link, which I'm inclined to count as a separate (unlisted) track.

True. I actually meant to mention in my track listing that I would remove Take Me Back from the end of Cry Baby Cry, since I felt it would be a sudden detraction from the progressively darker tone I used for the last few tracks.

Nope, I can't do it. I knew it would be difficult anyway, but here are a couple of specific stumbling blocks I run into:

(1) I don't know what song to end with, other than "Good Night" (which, reportedly, was high on George Martin's exclusion list). Maybe "Hey Jude," if that were included.
(2) What happens to "Savoy Truffle" if "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" is excluded? ("We all know Ob-La-Di, La-Da / But can you show me where you are?")

I really wonder what the album would look like if Martin had sequenced it as a single LP as he wanted to.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline metaldams

Nope, I can't do it. I knew it would be difficult anyway, but here are a couple of specific stumbling blocks I run into:

(1) I don't know what song to end with, other than "Good Night" (which, reportedly, was high on George Martin's exclusion list). Maybe "Hey Jude," if that were included.
(2) What happens to "Savoy Truffle" if "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" is excluded? ("We all know Ob-La-Di, La-Da / But can you show me where you are?")

I really wonder what the album would look like if Martin had sequenced it as a single LP as he wanted to.

"Hey Jude" as a closer would be brilliant because of the long outro with the fade - very climatic.

...and blimey, I put "Savoy Truffle" right after "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" without taking into consideration the lyrical reference, but now that you mention it, my sequencing even works better by dumb luck.

But yeah, can't blame you for not being able to do it.  Double albums in the vinyl days really tended to work brilliantly when done right.  PHYSICAL GRAFITTI is my favorite Zeppelin album and while not my favorite, EXILE ON MAIN STREET is up there.  I wouldn't edit any of those albums.

Now, getting into the CD era of the 90's, Metallica's LOAD and RELOAD (I know, released a year apart, but same writing and recording session, basically), and the Guns n' Roses USE YOUR ILLUSION albums.  Plenty of great songs on both sets, but yes, editing is needed in my opinion.  Too bloated in the CD era.
- Doug Sarnecky