The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Pardon My Berth Marks (1940) - Buster Keaton

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Watch PARDON MY BERTH MARKS in the box above and get the Damfino's note here:
http://www.busterkeaton.com/Films/F04_Pardon_My_Berth_Marks.html

PARDON MY BERTH MARKS is a straight-up Elmer film.  As such, it is a total drag and a bit painful to get through.

The good: excellent cast with Vernon Dent, Bud Jamison, Dorothy Appleby, Cy Schindell, Richard Fiske, etc.  The opening is funny with Buster pretending to be a bigwig.  Vernon is beautifully irate and full of quick insults.  And Cy is just in his element as a gangster.

The bad: the rest is pure Elmer garbage.  The entire scene in the train station is just Buster making an El Brendel style idiot of himself, minus the accent.  After that, it's basically a revamp of A PAIN IN THE PULLMAN.  The scenes are long, uninspired, and claustrophobic.  The parrot is totally ridiculous..   Lastly, many scenes are Curly scenes being forcefully adapted to the Elmer character.

Dreck.

5/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
I'll have to re-watch this one m'self, but after reading Paul's review, I'd like to post Ted Okuda & Ed Watz's evaluation in their Columbia Comedy Shorts book:
Pardon My Berth Marks (1940) is by far the best entry [in Keaton's Columbia series], a fast-paced comedy directed by Jules White. As an aspiring reporter who boards a train and becomes involved with the wife of a mobster, Buster is in top form. For once, Keaton portrays a resourceful character able to think his way out of situations. It's the closest the series ever came to recapturing the youthful Keaton spirit, "hardworking and honest," to use Buster's own terminology.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Umbrella Sam

I don’t know what made Ted Okuda and Ed Waltz think that Keaton’s character was resourceful, outside of a couple questionable moments towards the end. Keaton feels more like Elmer here than he has in any of the other Columbia shorts so far.

While Vernon Dent gives a great performance as always, the opening scene in Dent’s office consists of Keaton asking incredibly dumb questions about spending company money on ice cream and using a picture of Santa Claus to locate the woman he’s supposed to look for. My favorite parts of this film occur, here, though, all involving Cy Schindell. I love Keaton’s reaction to Schindell’s phone threat as well as the part showing how Schindell hurt Vernon Dent. My absolute favorite part, though, is when Schindell, for no reason at all, tries to trip Keaton twice. He just does it so subtly and with such a calm expression that I can’t help but find it hilarious.

Unfortunately, Schindell disappears and the rest of the film is Keaton making an idiot of himself on a train. Passengers laugh at him because he had a “Just Married” sign stuck to him and they continue laughing at him throughout the remainder of the film, and it gets really annoying. Bud Jamison appears, so at least it’s nice to see him, even if he doesn’t get any funny lines.

Keaton attempts to undress in his berth at one point, which gives me reminders of a certain Laurel and Hardy scene. This isn’t too bad, though, since the camera is far enough away and it doesn’t last too long. Still, it isn’t funny either.

The one arguably resourceful thing Keaton does in this film is when he uses the chord to tie up the gangster. He does also imitate the bird at one point, but it’s very easily discovered. Otherwise, I can’t think of a single resourceful thing Keaton did in this. Outside of a few funny moments at the beginning, this was a pretty hard short to sit through. I’ve got to stop watching films that have the words BERTH MARKS in the title.

4 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

I'll have to re-watch this one m'self, but after reading Paul's review, I'd like to post Ted Okuda & Ed Watz's evaluation in their Columbia Comedy Shorts book:

Not only that but if you read James L. Neibaur's THE FALL OF BUSTER KEATON: HIS FILMS FOR M-G-M, EDUCATIONAL PICTURES, AND COLUMBIA; Neibaur states PARDON MY BERTH MARKS "is the best of his Columbia output, and arguably better than anything he had done at M-G-M or Educational Pictures." (page 150)  I tend to mostly agree and have always been a great fan of this short.

I don't quite get this being a straight up Elmer film.  The only part I can see perhaps is the idea of Keaton living at home and having a phone conversation with his parrot.  Other than that, I really don't see it.  There's no obsessive child like love plot. Keaton is fairly resourceful and go getting; convincing his boss (wonderfully played by Vernon Dent), to do the reporter job.  He successfully captures the bad guy at the end, played by Richard Fiske, who again does his trademark crying bully routine at the end.  From a slapstick point of view, Cy Schindell sticks his foot out and trips Keaton as Keaton goes through door.  Keaton takes an excellent fall here.  Proving he's smarter than the normal Elmer character, Keaton gracefully jumps over Schindell's leg when he tries a second time.

I enjoy the train stuff for the most part.  There's one classic silent Keaton bit.  Dorothy Sebastian is putting some type of lotion or perfume on her arm and hand as she's on the bottom bunk of a berth behind a curtain.  She's waving her hand back and forth, confusing Keaton into thinking she's telling him to go to her and then go away.  Seeing the only the hand, Keaton of course doesn't recognize she's just airing the hand out to dry.  Eventually Keaton takes a great tumble in this scene for a finale.  Overall, it's a clever Keaton gag done without sound.  Later in the short, Keaton bizarrely impersonates a parrot.  Ed Watz in the audio commentary mentions how he discussed with Keaton's wife Eleanor that Keaton hated having to do that parrot impersonation.  I can understand that, as it's really not the kind of thing you'd expect Keaton to do.  Still, like Watz, I enjoyed watching Keaton do it anyway.

My one gripe with this short is the voyeurism of the other passengers.  They seem almost too excited a (falsely assumed) newlywed couple is on the train.  The way they act is the way a 3rd grade class would laugh at a boy for liking a girl, except there's an adult sense of voyeurism added in.  You almost get the feeling they're excited someone may be screwing in their midst.  It does lead to a funny and risqué gag for 1940, though.  The parrot gets loose in the berth and makes noises, even biting Keaton on the toe.  Keaton of course remarks about this and asks the parrot to stop because it hurts.  The laughing passengers think it is a newlywed couple doing some kinky stuff and get a laugh out of it.  Again though, a strange case of communal voyeurism.

A very good and entertaining short overall, and yes, probably my favorite Keaton Columbia as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

I enjoyed this, and found it to be a good and typical Columbia 1940 product.  Buster's strength and physicality continue to be amazing.  It's hard to name a Columbia supporting regular who ISN'T in this one, and it looks to me like the reason they are having such fun at the newlyweds' expense is that the actors are just having a lot of fun being in the berth scene together.  And yes, the parrot bit is pretty dumb, not to mention being at times rough on the parrot, even realizing that the parrot is very seldom actually in the box.

Offline metaldams

I enjoyed this, and found it to be a good and typical Columbia 1940 product.  Buster's strength and physicality continue to be amazing.  It's hard to name a Columbia supporting regular who ISN'T in this one, and it looks to me like the reason they are having such fun at the newlyweds' expense is that the actors are just having a lot of fun being in the berth scene together.  And yes, the parrot bit is pretty dumb, not to mention being at times rough on the parrot, even realizing that the parrot is very seldom actually in the box.

Agreed the actors themselves are probably having fun, and yes, it is fantastic seeing all these Columbia supporting players, circa 1940 nonetheless, all together.

Worth mentioning, Bud Jamison falling down into a berth landing on an outraged Symona Boniface, asking meekly not to report this to the company.  Funny part.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

No classic but one of the better Keaton Columbia entries directed by Jules White, who keeps the proceedings moving at a fast clip. Buster is a joy to watch and a compatible supporting cast helps . . . with no Elsie Ames in sight.

7/10

Offline Kopfy2013

Loved seeing all the Columbia players - Fisk, Jamison, Schindell, Dent, Boniface, Appleby - who am I forgetting ....  Definitely a Pain in the Pullman knock off. I will give it a 6
Niagara Falls