Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Which one would you like to have seen a solo short by?

Poll

Which Stooge do you wish had made at least one real solo short?

Moe
1 (7.7%)
Larry
7 (53.8%)
Curly
5 (38.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

We all know that Shemp, Joe Besser and Joe DeRita were each the star of several comedy shorts back in the day. We also all know that none of the "classic" Stooges ever were. Sure, Moe and Curly had their odd little film appearances (generally outside of the classic era of Stooges shorts), while Larry had almost no solo filmography at all; but there was never a true Moe, Larry or Curly solo short.

Which one of the "classic" Stooges would you most like to have seen as the star of at least one solo short, somewhere in the time frame of 1935-45 (for Curly) or 1935-55 (for Moe or Larry)? Can you point to a performance in a particular Stooges short that influences your choice?

After a viewing of GYPPED IN THE PENTHOUSE, I realized that I would have really liked to have seen a Larry solo short, so he gets my vote.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline Umbrella Sam

A very interesting question, and for the time being I also would probably have to vote for Larry, as he seemed to hold himself the best in solo performances like GYPPED IN THE PENTHOUSE, HE COOKED HIS GOOSE, and even CUCKOO ON A CHOO-CHOO (I don’t like the short as a whole, but his performance is pretty impressive).

I think Moe was so closely identified with his personality that it would have been hard to see him as anything but a supporting player, usually as the villain.

As for Curly, his high-pitched voice would have made him a natural for cartoon work, usually playing little characters like fleas or other insects. Had the Fleischer Studios not been located in Florida at the time, I feel he would have been the perfect choice for the voice of “Swat the Fly” in MR. BUG GOES TO TOWN.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

I voted Curly because he has the most unique character, though I believe all three would do a nice job solo.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

My vote is for Larry. I would love to have seen him star in his own movie. However, the thing I would really like to see is a comedy movie directed by Larry. I believe that his comedic timing would have served him well in the director's chair.

Offline Tony Bensley

I wrestled between Larry and Curly for a few days.

In the end, I chose Curly because he is my favorite Stooge, and I would have liked to see how a Curly solo would have compared with the best of the Joe De Rita two reelers!

That said, I tend to agree that Larry had the best potential in terms of a sustainable long term short subject series. 

Moe, on the other hand, I believe could have possibly enjoyed some success as a supporting player, not too unlike that of Leo Gorcey, although he was older, obviously.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Hmmm, I think all three would have worked on their own, but I like to think Moe had a bit more range than maybe he's given credit for--I think back to that scene from Gents Without Cents (Niagara Falls). Of course, Curly by himself would make for good debate--I believe Ed Bernds said something about Curly could only work as the 3rd stooge, meaning he didn't have the range of Shemp.

It would have been nice to see if Jerry could have proved him wrong...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.