Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Ultimate Stooge Villains Tournament - CHUMPionship Round

Paul Pain · 25 · 15963

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Yes, it's another Stooge Short Tournament!  It's the best I could do for now.  The pool was narrowed as many Stooge shorts don't have a villain, or the villain only is around briefly.  These are shorts with an actual villain whom the Stooges must defeat with their wit and slapstick.  For your benefit, I have linked the discussion to each respective short from metaldams' reviews.

"Everything happens to meeeee!" vs. "Giff me dat fillem!"

Begin!

4 Sergeant Dare in BOOBS IN ARMS vs. 55 Borscht in DUNKED IN THE DEEP
#1 fire kibitzer

ThumpTheShoes

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Whoops, missed the last round.

I love "Everything happens to meee!" but other than that...

"But what are you dressed like dis?"
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Percy Pomeroy

• Beetlebrain
4 Sergeant Dare

The menace that gets played out in the bayonet scene is not equaled in any other short.

The humor is there too, in Dare's self-depreciating tantrums.

Paul, thanks for running this. It was a lot of fun.

Offline Lefty

• Birdbrain
4 Sergeant Dare in BOOBS IN ARMS

I'm sure there are a lot of many soldiers who would like to see a drill sergeant get his comeuppance.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
55 Dunked in the Deep

It's ironic, because every other Stooge short and b sci-if/horror film I've seen Gene Roth in he completely fails to leave an impression, yet for this one role, he's awesome.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Toastmaster General
  • Knothead
    • Talk About Cinema

To be perfectly honest, neither of these choices are even close to being among my favorite Stooge villains, but Dare does have “Everything happens to me!” so I’ll pick him.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
My first post may have been erased, so I'll start again:

This kind of humor is why we like having you around.

Nah.  Gene Roth as Borscht is strictly a one-hit wonder, he was lousy in every other role, and I didn't like him all that much as Borscht, his supposed best.  Kenneth Mac Donald, Phil Van Zandt, and Dick Curtis were much better in many roles, especially Mac Donald. All three of them were funny and evil at the same time. Granted by the fifties, all of them were saddled with crappy scripts, but if we consider them all at their best, Gene Roth is a sorry fourth.  The best stooge villain  is Ichabod Slipp, period, sorry, sue me, because Kenneth Mac Donald is the best actor, followed by Van Zandt, and, at least the one time as Badlands Blackie, Dick Curtis, who steals the Three Troubledoers right out from underneath the entire rest of the cast, including the stooges. No dumb elimination tourneys will change my mind on this, sorry if I seem a sore loser.  Not Kenneth Mac Donald?  Wrong.  Sorry.

Big Chief, you and I are in wholehearted agreement on this one.  The sad part is that in the last round I screwed up... it was supposed to be Dare vs. Borscht and Dapper vs. Slipp, but Microsoft Excel misarranged things and I missed it.   :-\

The word "dumb" is wrong in describing your tourney, Paul Pain,  I shouldn't have used it, the tourneys are all in fun and help to continue interest around here.  I'm just very surprised that Kenneth MacDonald didn't make it.  For a while I expected the finals to be Dapper Malone vs Ichabod Slipp   I was frankly amazed when that didn't happen, as I was when Christine didn't even get nominated for the Niece who's nice or Dapper's girlfriend or the moll who wants to see Curly's tattoo.  And really truly, George Neise as Dimsel in The Three Stooges Meet Hercules is a first-rate comic villain in both of his roles.  He exudes hatefulness in a different way but every bit as well as Kenneth MacDonald. I'm way outside the thread parameters now, and I don't want to come off as a poor sport, so I'll sign off.

To explain, I only picked the "principal" villain.  Thus, Christine fell under "The Phantom Gang" generalization in WHO DONE IT?, and I thought her roles in CRIME ON THEIR HANDS/HOT ICE and THREE PESTS IN A MESS were too minor for their respective shorts to warrant their own entries.

You're some kind of lost relative of mine, in a Moe, Larry, Curly and Monte Collins-Mom sort of way.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Big Chief Apumtagribonitz

• Numbskull
My two last posts were way too severe,  I've erased them with my apologies.

Offline Umbday

• Grapehead
Everything happens to me.

So, it’s come to this. In a way, this final match-up is the one that I had hoped to see since the very first round. Both are iconic stooge foes who left us something unforgettable. But for me, the choice of the ultimate, most memorable stooge villain of them all is clear.

First we have Gene Roth in his most indelible role with the stooges — thanks in no small part to one oddball catch phrase. Mr. Borscht (I always heard it as “Bortch”) is ridiculous — and on a personal note, he looks just like a black-haired version of what my grandfather looked like in his middle-age — shocks of hair, bushy mustache, barrel chest. But it’s that ridiculous line, “gif me dat fillum,” that I think accounts for the performance’s iconic status.

That line is actually repeated only four or five times in the film — but in our memories, it almost seems as incessant as “yum yum, eat em up” in Kid from Borneo. And, although it’s been a few years since I’ve seen Dunked in the Deep or Commotion on the Ocean, I could swear that the repetition of “gif me dat fillum” on the soundtrack (often from off screen) might have as much to do with the quick and cheap way those films were being shot as anything else. Perhaps there simply wasn’t enough dialogue recorded to vary Bortch’s verbal threats, necessitating the repetition of “gif me dat fillum.” So, the editing may be at least partly responsible for the thing we all probably love the best about Bortch.

So, in Bortch, we have this overbearing villain with a legendary, ridiculous piece of dialogue that has become a byword for Stooge fans ever since.

And then, we have Richard Fiske. And here is where I have to first give you some background:

My earliest Stooge memories go back to around 1969. I was just starting kindergarten, and the Stooges were broadcast every morning at 7AM on our local WTEN in Albany, NY. That continued well into the 1970s, and in those days our local TV package was dominated by Curly shorts. It wasn’t until we began receiving cable TV from New York City and Boston in the mid-70s that my friends and I began receiving heavy doses of Shemp the Stooge, let alone Joe Besser.

So, in those early days, it was all about the Curly shorts. And somehow or other, the Stooge film that seemed to show up more than any other — the one that really worked its way into my memory — was Boobs in Arms. And, of course, Boobs in Arms is remembered most of all for that basic-training scene featuring the apoplectic, emotionally fragile drill sergeant, played by Richard Fiske.

(Now, that same basic training scene is also distinguished by having been recycled for Dizzy Pilots — another Curly short that became ultra-familiar to us kids due to its constant repeats on TV. [In fact, Moe the balloon’s ineffectual “oh, I’m floating!” distress call from Dizzy Pilots became a catch phrase among my kid friends and I.])

So, Richard Fiske appeared in the Sgt. Dare character role in two frequently viewed films — giving us Stooge fans double the chance to witness an amazing and rare Stooge-film performance.

Here’s the thing: Boobs in Arms — at least the second half of it — is all about Richard Fiske’s character. The stooges basically play foil to Fiske’s drill sergeant. And, with perhaps the only exception being Emil Sitka’s performance in Brideless Grooms, a supporting player completely steals a Stooge film, and earns it. 

In Boobs in Arms, we love what the Stooges are doing, but we relate to the sergeant, don’t we? I mean, look at him and weep — even as the sergeant blusters and (don’t forget) repeatedly attempts to MURDER the stooges with the bayonet, he somehow earns our sympathy as we watch him outwitted and defeated, repeatedly ending up sprawled on the ground in tears of impotent range.

Talk about relating to a fictional characters — how many of us rant and rave and throw our full bodies into our efforts, only to find our selves in the dirt, thwarted by the stooges of the world?

“Everything happens to me.“ Yep, as an adult, now, and even as a kid, then — that’s me all over. Maybe it’s you, too.

But, it all comes down to Richard Fiske. Poor, great, Richard Fiske, actor. He gives a clinic for comic character actors in this film. It’s a big performance, unabashed in all the right ways. It’s a star turn from an actor who ought to have been a star, but who never got the chance.

Richard Fiske’s big, bold performance in this silly film with a silly title is a thing of excellence. Simply recalling the drill sergeant scene in this film  — and how could we ever forget? — is enough to make me feel a little lighter, and thankful for silly movies and good actors that have helped to make life a little more bearable in these times. Especially the funny ones. And Richard Fisk was funny. His performance in Boobs in Arms stands as evidence of the man’s versatility and humor and chops — all wrapped up in a neat little gift that we can enjoy and marvel at. And remember. 

The choice is: Sgt. Dare, Boobs in Arms
Portrayed by Richard Fiske

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
To Big Chief, whole heartedly agree that as actors, Kenneth MacDonald and Phil Van Zandt destroy Gene Roth.  If this were about the actors, Roth should have been eliminated rounds ago.  However, it's about the characters, not the actor or body of work as a whole, and Roth is the ultimate one hit wonder.  He's the Iron Butterfly of Stooge actors (yes, I've heard all the albums, and this is a band where the hit truly is the greatest).  Still, that one role most of us love we find close to all time greatest...OK, you disagree, fine.  But yeah, it's about an individual performance, and I dig Roth in DUNKED IN THE DEEP.  I repeat, it boggles my mind how he can be so memorable in one film and so bland everywhere else I've seen him, non Stooge roles included.  I can't figure it out.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Umday, first off, good write up.  Secondly, funny you say Gene Roth looked like your grandpa, as Kenneth MacDonald bore a similar resemblance to my great grandfather.  Both lived to 70 as well, though my great grandfather was ten years older.

Also want to add, logically I agree with your argument over Fiske versus Roth.  Fiske's performance is more virtuosic and has more depth, but I vote Roth simply because I quote the role more.  Yeah, it's that simple for me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Toastmaster General
  • Knothead
    • Talk About Cinema
I think it’s pretty obvious that the horse from HORSING AROUND is the greatest Stooge villain of all time. [pie]

In all serious, I was kind of disappointed that the living dentures from THE TOOTH WILL OUT weren’t in the tourney. I totally understand why Paul didn’t include it considering how small its role was, but that would probably be my favorite Stooge villain simply for Vernon Dent’s evil laugh.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Given the circumstances, I can't help but vote... 4 Sergeant Dare in BOOBS IN ARMS

My two last posts were way too severe,  I've erased them with my apologies.

They were in no way severe.  You presented reasonable, civil posts that demonstrated your particular feelings about the topic presented.  If there's ever a Stooge debate again here, I know who I want in it!

Umbday, awesome analysis... scintillating, really!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
To Big Chief, whole heartedly agree that as actors, Kenneth MacDonald and Phil Van Zandt destroy Gene Roth.  If this were about the actors, Roth should have been eliminated rounds ago.  However, it's about the characters, not the actor or body of work as a whole, and Roth is the ultimate one hit wonder.  He's the Iron Butterfly of Stooge actors (yes, I've heard all the albums, and this is a band where the hit truly is the greatest).  Still, that one role most of us love we find close to all time greatest...OK, you disagree, fine.  But yeah, it's about an individual performance, and I dig Roth in DUNKED IN THE DEEP.  I repeat, it boggles my mind how he can be so memorable in one film and so bland everywhere else I've seen him, non Stooge roles included.  I can't figure it out.

I'd still say there are more memorable villains than our finalists.  Maybe Roth is more quotable for you, but for me it'd be Fiske in this matchup.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I think it’s pretty obvious that the horse from HORSING AROUND is the greatest Stooge villain of all time. [pie]

In all serious, I was kind of disappointed that the living dentures from THE TOOTH WILL OUT weren’t in the tourney. I totally understand why Paul didn’t include it considering how small its role was, but that would probably be my favorite Stooge villain simply for Vernon Dent’s evil laugh.

I had considered opening the floor for users to make suggestions prior to the tournament, and I decided not to do that at the last moment.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Somebody else needs to vote. Who wants to pick a winner?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

• Chowderhead
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead

• Numbskull
Since you open it up again, which I wouldn't have, I don't care about the contest.  It's Ichabod Slipp.  Neener neener neener.  Start with the name and go from there to all MacDonald's villian parts.  I lost the first time, but now you've brought it up again, so, starting with the name and every subsequent and in fact previous role, it's Ichabod Slipp.  He's slime.  He's dirt.  He wins.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Since you open it up again, which I wouldn't have, I don't care about the contest.  It's Ichabod Slipp.  Neener neener neener.  Start with the name and go from there to all MacDonald's villian parts.  I lost the first time, but now you've brought it up again, so, starting with the name and every subsequent and in fact previous role, it's Ichabod Slipp.  He's slime.  He's dirt.  He wins.

I guess it's official then. [pie]
- Doug Sarnecky

• Numbskull
Well, now wait a sec...Shemp_diesel answered the call for the tie-breaker before I did and saw to it that Sgt Dare was declared the winner as far as i know.  I just submitted my latest entry here for a goof since I thought the contest was over.  I do stand by Ichabod Slipp, but only for fun since I thought we were just kind of mopping up to let us sore losers get in a last dig.  I agree that Shemp_diesel wins, no argument.  Except it's Ichabod Slipp.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Well, now wait a sec...Shemp_diesel answered the call for the tie-breaker before I did and saw to it that Sgt Dare was declared the winner as far as i know.  I just submitted my latest entry here for a goof since I thought the contest was over.  I do stand by Ichabod Slipp, but only for fun since I thought we were just kind of mopping up to let us sore losers get in a last dig.  I agree that Shemp_diesel wins, no argument.  Except it's Ichabod Slipp.

I know you're just getting a dig in, I'm just waiting for Paul to make it official.

By the way, give me a few weeks, but I got a Stooge related tourney of my own in mind.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I know you're just getting a dig in, I'm just waiting for Paul to make it official.

By the way, give me a few weeks, but I got a Stooge related tourney of my own in mind.

Three things:
1. I can't wait to see your tourney.
2. Yes, Sgt. Dare won.
3. The thread for PEST FROM THE WEST should go up this Wednesday.
#1 fire kibitzer