Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Gold Raiders/Meet The Baron DVD defects

Offline archiezappa

This is a new thread dedicated to the discussion of Gold Raiders/Meet The Baron on DVD.

My particular copy will play Meet The Baron with no problems. However, when I click on Gold Raiders in the menu, it just locks up. It's very frustrating.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to do?

Offline Umbrella Sam

I have the same exact problem. MEET THE BARON works just fine, but GOLD RAIDERS won’t play at all, and, yes, I did check on multiple DVD players and it didn’t work. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix this particular problem and I think this is the only DVD release out there, so the only way to officially have GOLD RAIDERS is through iTunes. For the record, this problem occurred about 3 years ago, but I had no idea until recently that this was actually a common problem with the DVD.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline archiezappa

I have the same exact problem. MEET THE BARON works just fine, but GOLD RAIDERS won’t play at all, and, yes, I did check on multiple DVD players and it didn’t work. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix this particular problem and I think this is the only DVD release out there, so the only way to officially have GOLD RAIDERS is through iTunes. For the record, this problem occurred about 3 years ago, but I had no idea until recently that this was actually a common problem with the DVD.

I also never knew this to be a common problem. I thought my DVD had corrupted or something. I had planned on buying another copy. However, after hearing from others on this board, I don't think that's the answer.

I also tried multiple players. Same problem.

Offline Tony Bensley

It was just last week that I made my personal GOLD RAIDERS non playable in multiple devices discovery! :P

I wonder whether anyone has ever attempted to contact Warner about this playback issue that affects GOLD RAIDERS.  Is this Comedy Teams Double Feature DVD from 2006 still even technically in print?

I'd love for Warner to consider this playback issue if it's at all possible at this late stage.  It would be nice to not have to double dip for a digital download that I'm not sure is even available in Canada, anyway.

CHEERS! :)

Offline Tony Bensley

I also never knew this to be a common problem. I thought my DVD had corrupted or something. I had planned on buying another copy. However, after hearing from others on this board, I don't think that's the answer.

I also tried multiple players. Same problem.
I'm thinking the only hope might be if at some point, Warner quietly rectified this issue with GOLD RAIDERS not playing at all on later pressings.  If so, what would be the tell tale signs on the disc covers, if any?

It just occurred to me that it was Warner who offered disc replacements for the BATMAN '66 Television series due to some mistakes that were made on two of the Season One discs.  As I recall, there was one lady (Her name escapes me, at the moment!) at Warner who was very helpful in this regard.  I should be able to dig up her contact information, if that helps.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline archiezappa

I'm thinking the only hope might be if at some point, Warner quietly rectified this issue with GOLD RAIDERS not playing at all on later pressings.  If so, what would be the tell tale signs on the disc covers, if any?

It just occurred to me that it was Warner who offered disc replacements for the BATMAN '66 Television series due to some mistakes that were made on two of the Season One discs.  As I recall, there was one lady (Her name escapes me, at the moment!) at Warner who was very helpful in this regard.  I should be able to dig up her contact information, if that helps.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Anything that you can do to help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Tony Bensley

Anything that you can do to help is greatly appreciated.

Here is the Email Address to contact regarding the Warner Brothers GOLD RAIDERS/MEET THE BARON Double Features DVD:

Sherri.Bogard@warnerbros.com

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Tony Bensley

I just sent an email.
That's great, Archie!  I also sent Sherri an email and included a link to this thread to demonstrate that the GOLD RAIDERS (1951) non loading/playback defect isn't an isolated issue.  Numerous reviews on Amazon point out this defect, as well!

We'll see what happens!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline archiezappa

Offline metaldams

I have this DVD, but only watched it once with no issues.  When I watch it again I'll let you know what happens.

You know, since I'm reviewing Keaton films that will lead into his MGM teaming with Jimmy Durante, perhaps I'll take a week off from Keaton and sideways into MEET THE BARON after the final MGM Keaton. Sounds like a good idea.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Tony Bensley

That's great, Archie!  I also sent Sherri an email and included a link to this thread to demonstrate that the GOLD RAIDERS (1951) non loading/playback defect isn't an isolated issue.  Numerous reviews on Amazon point out this defect, as well!

We'll see what happens!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]
So far, it's been crickets on my end.  In rechecking the email that I sent late Monday afternoon, I discovered to my chagrin that I provided Sherri Bogard with the wrong link.  Therefore, for what it's worth, I sent Sherri another email, this time with the correct link to this topic.

To be fair, it is almost Christmas.  Perhaps we'll get a response in the New Year, if not sooner.

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Tony Bensley

I received the following response from Sherri Bogard. 

Dear Mr. Bensley:

Thank you for your email.  I am sorry to say that Warner Home Video is no longer the distributor for the titles listed below; therefore we are unable to do any type of an exchange.  I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Kind regards,
Sherri Bogard
Warner Bros. Customer Service

I do appreciate Ms. Bogard's reply.  Unfortunately, this one's simply out of her hands.

Offline archiezappa

I received the following response from Sherri Bogard. 

Dear Mr. Bensley:

Thank you for your email.  I am sorry to say that Warner Home Video is no longer the distributor for the titles listed below; therefore we are unable to do any type of an exchange.  I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Kind regards,
Sherri Bogard
Warner Bros. Customer Service

I do appreciate Ms. Bogard's reply.  Unfortunately, this one's simply out of her hands.

Yeah, I got the same email. Bummer. I was actually hoping for resolution. The way people are today, you can't depend on anybody.

Offline Myren

Has anyone tried to rip the dvd to see if the movie is even on the disc?  And if you can rip it then you can always burn to another disc if it is there. Just a thought.

I will have to dig out my copy and see if I have the same trouble.

Offline Tony Bensley

Has anyone tried to rip the dvd to see if the movie is even on the disc?  And if you can rip it then you can always burn to another disc if it is there. Just a thought.

I will have to dig out my copy and see if I have the same trouble.
I tried that with DVD Shrink, as all of the video files do display on my PC.  Unfortunately, only the files for MEET THE BARON (1933) would rip, so digging up GOLD RAIDERS (1951) seems to be a lost cause, in my case!  [cry]

Hope that you have better luck!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline Larrys#1

Did you all put a curse on my DVD?

I’ve watched my copy a few times when I first bought it when it first came out and never had an issue. Upon seeing this thread, I decided to check my copy and to my surprise, I have the same issue as all of you. I checked my disc and not a scratch on it. I never had a dvd go bad on me. How did this happen?

Offline Tony Bensley

I’ve watched my copy a few times when I first bought it when it first came out and never had an issue. Upon seeing this thread, I decided to check my copy and to my surprise, I have the same issue as all of you. I checked my disc and not a scratch on it. I never had a dvd go bad on me. How did this happen?
Sadly, from what I've read recently, it's a fairly common problem with some of the Warner dual layered DVDs manufactured from 2006 - 2009.  Apparently, it's something along the lines of the part where the disc changes layers goes bad somehow.  In the case of the Warner Double Feature DVDs, this seems to translate as one of the two features becoming unplayable.  What really sucks in the case of GOLD RAIDERS, is according to Sherri Bogard, Warner no longer distributes the film, so you're sol for getting it replaced by Warner if your copy has gone bad.  Doubly so if you're outside the U.S, where the digital version is most likely inaccessible (I haven't checked the Canadian iTunes, but I know Amazon.ca is not an option, unlike the U.S. counterpart!).

Around 2010, Warner switched from the Canada based DVD manufacturing plant to one in Mexico, which apparently solved the disc defect problem.  Unfortunately, as far as I know, there's no known way to tell the difference among the Warner DVD titles that were originally released between 2006 and 2009.  It's the luck of the draw, I suppose!

CHEERS!  [3stooges]

Offline JazzBill

My Gold Raiders used to work fine. But the last time I tried to watch it the DVD kept freezing up on me. That sucks because I actually liked Gold Raiders but don't care all that much for Meet The Baron.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Larrys#1

I'm confused how a DVD can just go bad like this. This is the first time this has ever happened to me. I've seen stories of people complaining about their discs rotting and such, but that was only due to a defect on that specific disc. Never have I seen all pressed discs on one particular title all go bad. Had I suspected this was going to happen, I would've backed it up. But WB DVDs usually are pretty well made. I have lots of Warner DVDs and last I checked, they all still work.

Offline metaldams

I watched mine once years ago, I'll put my copy in again and let you know what happens.  This does sound crazy.  Coincidentally enough, Abbott and Costello and Laurel and Hardy had similar double feature DVDs released at the same time from the same company.  I have the former and not the latter (the two Laurel and Hardy films I burned off TCM years ago and am in no rush to buy since they're not exactly Stan and Ollie's best).  If anybody has those other two sets, any issues there to report?

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Yes. >:D

Tony, did Sherri Bogard say who currently has the distribution rights to the film?
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Tony Bensley

I watched mine once years ago, I'll put my copy in again and let you know what happens.  This does sound crazy.  Coincidentally enough, Abbott and Costello and Laurel and Hardy had similar double feature DVDs released at the same time from the same company.  I have the former and not the latter (the two Laurel and Hardy films I burned off TCM years ago and am in no rush to buy since they're not exactly Stan and Ollie's best).  If anybody has those other two sets, any issues there to report?
It's just the opposite with me, and unlike The Stooges, I did play both AIR RAID WARDENS (1943) and NOTHING BUT TROUBLE (1944) without incident.  I've had this DVD since May 2013, and I haven't played it since shortly after receiving it from Amazon Canada.  In light of recent events, I should probably check this disc again, soon!

To try to answer Umbrella Sam's question regarding who has distribution of GOLD RAIDERS (1951), it seems to be only available for Digital Download on U.S. Amazon, and someone did mention they got it from iTunes.  Other than that, it doesn't appear that any studio has distribution of GOLD RAIDERS at all, unfortunately.  Being outside the U.S, it leaves me completely out of luck, due to the fact there's no legal way around getting a Digital Download that isn't made available in your country (I haven't bothered with iTunes, as I find having to download the app just to see if a certain title is available in my country to be a really retarded issue.  Why in blazes can't iTunes just make their titles accessible to search engines like everybody else, for the love of gawd?).  It isn't like physical media, which can be legally shipped to other countries via the postal services, and Canada is sadly still way behind the U.S, in terms of Digital Download title availability.

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline Larrys#1

I have the Abbott and Costello one. Just tested it now and flipped through all the chapters on both films. No issues there.

This just seems to be an issue only with the Gold Raiders/Meet The Baron DVD... unless I got lucky with the Abbott and Costello disc and got a later batch pressed in Mexico. I didn't buy that one right away; I bought that a few years after it was released.