Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

What's your favorite Looney Tunes character?

Offline archiezappa

My favorite has to be Bugs Bunny. He is absolutely the best cartoon character of all time, in my opinion.

Offline Umbrella Sam

For me, it's Daffy Duck, because he's more versatile. Bugs is great, but with a few exceptions, he almost always has to be the hero, which sort of limits the situations he can get into. Daffy can be put into many different and creative situations and still have it work, because he has multiple aspects of his personality (his ego, his greed, his mentality, etc.). In particular, I love DUCK AMUCK, as well as many of the cartoons where he's parodying some specific genre, including THE GREAT PIGGY BANK ROBBERY, DUCK DODGERS IN THE 24 1/2th CENTURY, and THE SCARLET PUMPERNICKEL.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

Bugs Bunny because of his wit and wisecracks followed by Foghorn Leghorn and Yosemite Sam

Offline dom dip

the original porky pig(and newer one too) and the original elmer fudd, the original ones were both the more fat and more dumb versions than the newer versions.

Offline metaldams

I watched them a lot as a kid, and I honestly could say I loved them all, never developing a particular favorite.

I'll throw in HIGH DIVING HARE as my favorite cartoon, though I admit I'm far from bing as knowledgeable about Looney Tunes as I am Stooges.  Bugs and Sam crack me up in that short.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I watched them a lot as a kid, and I honestly could say I loved them all, never developing a particular favorite.

I'll throw in HIGH DIVING HARE as my favorite cartoon, though I admit I'm far from bing as knowledgeable about Looney Tunes as I am Stooges.  Bugs and Sam crack me up in that short.

You bring up an interesting question I’ve been wanting to ask: for those reading, what’s your favorite Looney Tunes cartoon? I’m big enough of a fan that I can divide it by character, so here I go.

Favorite Bugs Bunny Cartoon: BASEBALL BUGS. Picking a favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon is very hard, as there are many worthy candidates and I will throw in HIGH DIVING HARE and REBEL RABBIT as honorable mentions. BASEBALL BUGS is a cartoon that I’ve always thought was a perfect combination of gags with the animation, as well as featuring a challenging, but still funny adversary for Bugs.

Favorite Daffy Duck Cartoon: A tie between the 4 cartoons I mentioned in my first post on this thread. While picking a favorite Bugs cartoon is very hard, picking a favorite Daffy cartoon is impossible.

Favorite Porky Pig Cartoon: DOUGH FOR THE DO-DO. This is a color remake of PORKY IN WACKYLAND and though people tend to prefer the original, I’ve always preferred this one, mostly for the backgrounds as well as the different closing gag.

Favorite Tweety and Sylvester Cartoon: SATAN’S WAITIN’. A very funny concept that I’ve always enjoyed. It also features one of my favorite closing gags that I have ever seen.

Favorite Foghorn Leghorn Cartoon: CROWING PAINS, with FOX TERROR as a close second. I like the addition of Sylvester as the villain who can still be somewhat wacky, giving Foghorn and the Barnyard Dawg a real adversary to go up against, rather than just them playing pranks on each other.

Favorite Speedy Gonzales Cartoon: MEXICALI SCHMOES. I wish they would have kept the two cats in this cartoon for the Speedy Gonzales series. I thought they were a funny pairing and it would have been nice to not see them overuse Sylvester.

Favorite Pepé Le Pew Cartoon: ODOR OF THE DAY. There’s debate over whether this truly qualifies as a true Pepé Le Pew cartoon, though it is still the same design. I really love how Pepé actually uses his smell to his advantage in this cartoon, using it as though it’s a gun and there are some funny reactions from the dog.

Favorite Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner Cartoon: none. Don’t take that the wrong way; these cartoons can be very funny, but they’re so similar in concept as well as how they play out that none has ever particularly stood out to me.

Offline metaldams

DOUGH FOR THE DO-DO..,isn't that the Stooge one?  Too lazy to look up.

Got a gift card from Amazon, seriously thinking of spending a portion of it on that new Porky Pig set.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

DOUGH FOR THE DO-DO..,isn't that the Stooge one?  Too lazy to look up.

Got a gift card from Amazon, seriously thinking of spending a portion of it on that new Porky Pig set.

Yes, DOUGH FOR THE DO-DO does feature a Three Stooges caricature, though for some reason the Moe caricature has blonde hair instead of black.

Regarding the Porky set, I guess it depends on what you think of Porky as a whole. On his own, I don’t find Porky to be a particularly entertaining character and some of those early cartoons are hard to watch because of his voice (his original voice actor actually stuttered for real and he often sounds as though he’s struggling to get through his lines unlike the more comical and controlled Mel Blanc stutter). However, it is still interesting to see how the styles of the directors evolved over time (especially Tex Avery and Bob Clampett) and there are some genuinely funny cartoons in there, particularly the ones with Daffy.