The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Battling Butler (1926) - Buster Keaton

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Get the Damfino's note here:
http://www.busterkeaton.com/Films/C08_Battling_Butler.html

I screwed up; I thought this weekend was THE GENERAL.  It wasn't.  Thread's up though!

I thoroughly enjoyed BATTLING BUTLER in spite of its shortcomings.  The opening scenes, in spite of the theater origins of this film, are classic Buster.  Only Buster (or maybe Charlie Chaplin) could have a servant take the ashes off of his cigarette for him.  The theme of Snitz Edwards "arranging it" throughout the film is, to me, a great little motif.

Buster's definition of "roughing it" is absolutely precious.  That setup had: counters, sink, running water, dressers, mirrors, and even a table.  The scene where Buster and Sally O'Neil slouch on the table is definitely a comic highlight.  Overall, Buster always is at his best when up against towering figures, like the girl's father and brother.  It's fun to see the childish love go both ways in a Buster film for once.  His scenes with fishing and hunting are quite funny and work nicely to establish the romantic subplot.  Even later, he handles himself in true Buster fashion when dealing with Mrs. Battling Butler.

The negatives: I really don't like the whole setup with Buster and the boxer's wife... it's too farfetched and ridiculous for a Buster film.  It's even worse than the ridiculousness of the girl's father not figuring out that Buster isn't a boxer.  And both aren't as bad as douchebag setting up Buster like that in the first place.  It's not perfect, as we've all said.

Buster's boxing scenes are fabulous.  I thought these were on part with Shemp's in FRIGHT NIGHT/FLING IN THE RING, although Shemp has the benefit of sound to make it more memorable.  But it's CLYDE BRUCKEMAN plagiarism, after all.  The battle between Buster and Butler, though, was absolutely phenomenal.  Buster, in a rarity, shows personality, particularly honor, anger, and passion, here, which he had never done before.  It's an amazingly dramatic moment interspersed with reminds of the films comedy base that creates an incredible climax. 

In spite of its shortcomings, this climax generates a higher rating out of me.

9/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:47:59 PM by Paul Pain »
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

BATTLING BUTLER is not one of Keaton’s better silent films, though it still does have moments in it that do make it worth watching.

The main plot of this one involves Keaton pretending to be the famous Battling Butler in order to convince the mountain woman and her family to let him marry her. This plot really does not make a whole lot of sense. While I can sort of understand Snitz Edwards’s reasoning at the beginning in that he thinks Butler will lose and the family can only listen to it on the radio anyway, later on, I find it shocking that no newspapers would even carry a photo of the real Battling Butler. I’m not really a fan of boxing, so I wouldn’t know for sure, but I’d think that at least a photo of him would show up somewhere. The ending is a bit weird too; Keaton reveals to his wife that he isn’t who she thinks he is and she’s suddenly glad, despite having married him for this reason in the first place. While I think they were going for the idea of her being traumatized by seeing him fight like that, it still seems a bit odd that she’d be so easily forgiving after her family bet money on him and he had Snitz Edwards lock her in a closet. If you want to see a better example of the whole “I’m not who you think I am” plot, I would recommend Harold Lloyd’s THE KID BROTHER, which features a speech from Jobyna Ralston in order to boost Lloyd’s confidence, while giving no reason for her to really be that mad at Lloyd anyway.

OK, so now that I’ve established my problems with the main storyline, I still do have to admit that I find it better than both THE NAVIGATOR and SEVEN CHANCES. Why? Unlike those two, which were very good in one half but dull in another, this film is a lot of fun from start to finish. The opening hunting sequences are very reminiscent of THE BALLOONATIC, in which Keaton has to adapt to a different setting and much like in THE BALLOONATIC, it can actually be pretty funny, particularly when Keaton is attempting to hunt a duck, only to sink the tiny boat that he has brought along. I also like how Butler’s manager keeps hitting Keaton at the game unintentionally. Again, not a big boxing fan, though I have heard that this is what some boxing fans are like.

The whole mix-up in the training area can be pretty fun as well. I love the confused reactions from everyone involved. This also sets up the more villainous aspects of the real Battling Butler, showing how abusive he can be to his wife.

The training scenes are really good. Keaton’s acrobatic skills make the boxing ring scenes especially fun to sit through, as he continually jumps out of the ring to get away from his opponents. Clyde Bruckman isn’t credited, though the gag with the glove tied to the rope that appeared in FRIGHT NIGHT showed up in here as well.

The closing battle is great. After seeing how terrible of a person the real Battling Butler is, it’s nice to see Keaton give him what he deserves in the end, and that really is Keaton doing the boxing. He trained for months in order to maintain authenticity and it really is a cool final fight.

I have a bit mixed feelings as far as the supporting cast goes. As I mentioned, Francis McDonald does well at making you hate Battling Butler and Snitz Edwards does a good job as Keaton’s butler. I’m not a huge fan of Sally O’Neil in this. At first it seemed like they were going the Phyllis Haver route with her, but it ended up being another case where she was given very little to do.

Overall, BATTLING BUTLER does make for an entertaining viewing, though there are a few things that you would have to overlook in order to enjoy it fully. A good, but flawed film.

8 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

You know, I usually say THREE AGES is Keaton's worst silent film he directed, but I'm changing my mind and saying BATTLING BUTLER.  Now it's not a bad film, as silent Keaton never made a turkey.  That said, like SEVEN CHANCES, this was based on a stage play, never a good idea for Keaton, as his best comedy, such as SHERLOCK, JR. and the film we'll be discussing next week, is very cinematic and tends to move around.  Those films could never be effective stage plays.  However, SEVEN CHANCES does get the incredible finale that is very Buster like, something we never get in BATTLING BUTLER.

Look, there's some good stuff here, especially in the beginning.  Just the idea of rich Keaton "roughing it" in the woods is great stuff, because his version involves bringing butler Snitz Edwards along with modern conveniences at his disposal.  That alone is funny, as is the stone faced manner in which Keaton approaches his business.  My favorite part of the entire film, and one that has left a positive impression on me, is when Buster and Sally O'Neil are outside camping on the table, elbows on the table causing said table to sink into the dirt.  Both characters sink along with the table until they are on the ground, continuing their conversation as if nothing is happening.  Fantastic gag.

The sparring stuff is a mixed bag for me.  Keaton's physicality is great most of the time.  I got a nice laugh when he tried to impersonate the trainer jumping over the top rope into the ring, only to fall down and have his momentum carry him in a circular way back to the outside.  However, the scene fits Shemp and with the fey mannerisms, Joe Besser more than Keaton.  The reason?  Look at Keaton, while not a big guy, he was in pretty good shape.  Just doesn't seem believable that he'd act that wimpy.

Umbrella Sam mentions a photo not showing up anywhere of the real Battling Butler, though it actually does!  When Snitz Edwards is convincing the father and brother, he's showing them a real newspaper article, complete with picture of the real Battling Butler.  That right there should be a giveaway Keaton is not the real boxer, so a big suspension of disbelief is needed!  As far as Sally O'Neil, a bit young at 17.  Maybe that innocence works with the protective father and brother, though.  The age in the film isn't mentioned.  I think Mary O'Brien would be a more standard Keaton leading lady, very attractive I think, but looking her up, only one of three film credits she ever did.

As for the finale, while not a stone cold amazing chase or spectacle like most of his finales, it shows an intensity to Keaton we rarely see, and an admittedly good chaser after watching wimpy Keaton earlier.  Totally intense ass kicking acting on Buster's part, the way he takes his already downed opponent up just so he can sock him again.  Overall, BATTLING BUTLER is Keaton's most stage like feature he directed, as it moves along nicely, is never dull, Keaton makes the material better than it is with his physicality and demeanor, but it still lacks the cinematic qualities of classic Keaton fare.  For some irony, this was also Keaton's most commercially successful silent film (yes, the MGM talkies were more successful than any silents), proving that the modern perception of Keaton wasn't what it was in his heyday.  For more irony, next week's film was a commercial disappointment.

7/10
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Umbrella Sam mentions a photo not showing up anywhere of the real Battling Butler, though it actually does!  When Snitz Edwards is convincing the father and brother, he's showing them a real newspaper article, complete with picture of the real Battling Butler.  That right there should be a giveaway Keaton is not the real boxer, so a big suspension of disbelief is needed!

Can’t believe I missed that. Still, only goes to further prove how the plot does not make sense.

You know, I usually say THREE AGES is Keaton's worst silent film he directed, but I'm changing my mind and saying BATTLING BUTLER.  Now it's not a bad film, as silent Keaton never made a turkey.  That said, like SEVEN CHANCES, this was based on a stage play, never a good idea for Keaton, as his best comedy, such as SHERLOCK, JR. and the film we'll be discussing next week, is very cinematic and tends to move around.  Those films could never be effective stage plays.  However, SEVEN CHANCES does get the incredible finale that is very Buster like, something we never get in BATTLING BUTLER.

Ironically, SEVEN CHANCES was Keaton’s least favorite of his silent features, yet for some reason, BATTLING BUTLER was his favorite. However, yes, Keaton and stage plays tended not to go well together. Also...

My favorite part of the entire film, and one that has left a positive impression on me, is when Buster and Sally O'Neil are outside camping on the table, elbows on the table causing said table to sink into the dirt.  Both characters sink along with the table until they are on the ground, continuing their conversation as if nothing is happening.  Fantastic gag.

Forgot to mention this. I also loved this gag.

Offline metaldams

Ironically, SEVEN CHANCES was Keaton’s least favorite of his silent features, yet for some reason, BATTLING BUTLER was his favorite. However, yes, Keaton and stage plays tended not to go well together. Also...

I think Keaton viewed BATTLING BUTLER most fondly due to commercial fortunes.  For years, his film weren't readily available and as they were being shown publically again towards the end of his life, I think he grew higher regard for THE GENERAL.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

I think Keaton viewed BATTLING BUTLER most fondly due to commercial fortunes.  For years, his film weren't readily available and as they were being shown publically again towards the end of his life, I think he grew higher regard for THE GENERAL.

By commercial fortunes, do you mean by how much it grossed on initial release? I always thought THE NAVIGATOR was his most successful silent film financially.

Offline metaldams

By commercial fortunes, do you mean by how much it grossed on initial release? I always thought THE NAVIGATOR was his most successful silent film financially.

You're actually correct, THE NAVIGATOR was the highest, and BATTLING BUTLER was close.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
BATTLING BUTLER is a fine piece on Buster's part as an actor even if the film isn't one of his best.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
You know, I usually say THREE AGES is Keaton's worst silent film he directed, but I'm changing my mind and saying BATTLING BUTLER.  Now it's not a bad film, as silent Keaton never made a turkey.

Every other comedian wished their turkeys could be as "lousy."
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Just watched this back to back with SEVEN CHANCES as they both appear on the same newly released Blu-Ray and I stand by my initial review.  Good film on its own, but Keaton’s least cinematic.  That said, these new Blu-Rays look fantastic (I bought all three) and especially this film.  The amber tinting visually gives this film new life.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Trivia: Mary O'Brien was married to Benny Rubin not long after this (they separated around 1933). The late Jimmy Greenspoon, keyboardist for Three Dog Night, was her son from her third marriage.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline metaldams

Trivia: Mary O'Brien was married to Benny Rubin not long after this (they separated around 1933). The late Jimmy Greenspoon, keyboardist for Three Dog Night, was her son from her third marriage.

That’s pretty cool, had no idea!  Funny seeing that generation linked to the rock era.  I just found out a few years ago Spencer Dryden, the drummer for Jefferson Airplane, was Charlie Chaplin’s half-nephew.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Nice observation!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

It’s amazing sometimes what connections can be made on this forum. There’s been a lot of classic rock connections lately, including the recent Jefferson Airplane one and the Beatles connection mentioned in the PARDON MY SARONG topic.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"Battling Butler" was the closest Buster Keaton ever came to making a dramatic film.  Though regarded by contemporary critics as one of Buster's weaker efforts, this 1926 production broke new ground in its directorial style and depth — paving the way for "The General" and "Steamboat Bill, Jr." A traditional boxing comedy on the surface, "Battling Butler" has a subdued tone that erupts into violent rage with its climactic fight. The film equates pain with redemption and reveals the seriousness of Keaton's comic art. Like many Keaton silent features, "Battling Butler" moves beyond the slapstick realm to reveal a darker portrait of American individualism.

9/10