The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Navigator (1924) - Buster Keaton

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!

Watch THE NAVIGATOR in the box above and get the Damfino's note here:
http://www.busterkeaton.com/Films/C05_The_Navigator.html

I hate to be down on Buster, but dang this one was a disappointment.  As a comedy, it falls flat in many regards for me, and as a non-comedy it falls flat as well.

The opening scene is classic Buster fare.  His taking the bath in that weird tub while still wearing his robe is quite endearing, as his flippancy.  Only in Buster's mind is it a good idea to plan the honeymoon before she says "Yes."  Having Kathy McGuire here helps as well, because she clearly is now familiar with his style of delivery and his overall comedic atmosphere.  I must point out his "Long walk that will do him good" was brilliant.

The pier scenes are again good but not comedic.   Again, only Buster could be deceived by the open gate and walk on a boat that has no crew all while suspecting nothing.  The scenes with the goons on the dock is dramatic and well done... and then the next.

The next 10 minutes is absolutely and insufferably boring.  No laughs or drama will be found here.  I found it tedious until they start cooking, where their spoiled-brathood comes out.  The scenes with them trying to sleep and getting spooked are great stuff, and then tedium...

The balloon swordfish battle was awesome, especially with it ending with Buster popping the other fish balloon.

The whole cannibals thing was cute at first, but it would have been over for good after the first firecracker was thrown at them.  I've read many books involving such peoples.  Who can spot the plagiarism warning at the end?

Some good; some bad; not a film to show to a newbie.

7/10 [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke] [poke]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

THE NAVIGATOR goes back to the idea of having more of a mixture of drama and comedy, though it doesn’t work nearly as well as in OUR HOSPITALITY. The opening is indeed very good. Keaton’s “long walk” in particular is a very funny gag and I do think there is an interesting setup with Keaton being rejected only for him and McGuire to end up on the same boat.

The pier scenes seem good at first, but this leads to my first problem: we never see these characters again. We don’t know what happened to the spies or what happened to the people they kidnapped. The film just kind of forgets about this major plot point as soon as they get on the boat. Even Kathryn McGuire, who seemed so concerned about her father at the pier, never mentions him again throughout the rest of the film.

Most of the antics on the boat are pretty funny. There’s a nice small running gag with Keaton losing his hat and we get a nice shot of how large the boat is when he and McGuire are trying to find each other. We also get a pretty funny sequence of them failing at cooking, as well as putting up a quarantined flag.

The night gags are pretty good for the most part. There’s lots of energy throughout the scene between the two leads. I particularly like when McGuire throws out the picture, only for Keaton to mistake it for some stranger. There’s also a suspenseful scene where it seems as though McGuire’s going to fall off the boat. For some reason, though, it ends with Keaton and McGuire trying to play cards. I don’t necessarily know why they attempt this considering McGuire falls asleep anyway.

The devices they use to make the food are intriguing, even if they’re not necessarily funny. For some reason, I’m just not a huge fan of the whole cannibal climax in this film. I think part of it is just how racist it seems, though I also think that this whole plot point was introduced way too early. The cannibals end up on the boat twice throughout this time and it just feels like it drags on, even when Keaton is stuck underwater. It ends in the submarine with Keaton making the submarine briefly go out of control, similar to THE BOAT (is this what you’re referring to, Paul?).

Overall, THE NAVIGATOR isn’t bad, but does get more underwhelming as it goes along. There are a lot of funny things in it, especially towards the beginning and middle, but it just does not live up to its expectations. As a feature, it just does not work that well.

6 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline metaldams

Well, I tend to like this film better than you two guys.  Umbrella Sam, I do agree with you in the fact the plot at the beginning of the film not being wrapped up is a flaw in THE NAVIGATOR.  The whole spy angle and the fate of the girl's father do not get addressed at all in the end, and at least the latter point should be of great importance to the girl...obviously a main character we invest in throughout the whole film.

One thing I will disagree with is is the first 10 minutes on the boat being "insufferably boring."  Paul's version of boring is my version of genius, and to each their own.  That said, I've seen THE NAVIGATOR several times over the past fifteen to twenty years, and whenever I think of this film, that part where Buster and Kathryn McGuire are on the boat looking for each other is something I always think fondly of.  First off, the fresh cigarette butt on the ground is a fantastic clue for Kathryn McGuire to know Buster is there, very subtle and excellent filmmaking.  Then the camera set up making the boat maze like and the various timings of the way Keaton and McGuire keep missing each other is fantastic.  This is a wonderful case of milking a gag in several variations for all its worth, and I enjoy this part immensely.  Also, within this part there is the nice gag of Buster losing his hats to the wind and nonchalantly grabbing a new one out of nowhere....a nice touch.

I agree with you guys about the night gags and Buster's long walk at the beginning of the film.  Want to add the picture gag when Buster trying to sleep involves a picture of Donald Crisp, Keaton's co-director in this film.  Crisp was also a famous actor before and decades after THE NAVIGATOR going well into the talkie era.  Check out his filmography on imdb, it's impressive.

As far as the stuff with the natives, I'll say I don't find it racist at all.  The NAVIGATOR is over 90 years old and is portraying an indigenous culture pre Internet, pre television, radio just started, flight travel was not as common, and the fact is these natives probably never saw a white person in their life.  A sad but true commentary on human nature is that different races and cultures, before being integrated together, tend to treat each other with less than kindness, and I can understand fear on both sides.  I don't like being too political, but when viewing really old films, I suppose sometimes this stuff is unavoidable.  That being said, I think the whole scene with the natives makes for a pretty cool action/adventure reel, and I do enjoy it.  Keaton being underwater is also great, as I love the way he uses a lobster to cut a wire and the swordfish fight is classic.  The ending where they land in the submarine, while not bad, is a bit sudden in my eyes.  Perhaps it goes back to the beginning of the film not being wrapped up properly.

Not a perfect film like the last couple, but THE NAVIGATOR I still find to be a really creative and funny film I return to a lot.  Another victory for Buster.

9/10
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Just watched this again, and I decided to bump up my rating by 2 points. The spy angle not being resolved and the racist nature of the climax is still a problem, but it still is a very funny film that takes good advantage of its concept, and my initial rating seemed way too harsh (even back then, I was debating between a 6 or a 7). Still not a perfect film, but now I can see more why it’s usually ranked among Keaton’s classics.

8 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Dr. Mabuse

"The Navigator" was a critical and commercial triumph that helped establish Buster Keaton's place in the pantheon of silent-film comedians — showcasing his mastery of props and characterization. As pampered millionaire Rollo Treadway, the Keaton persona falls into place: a youthful novice who proves his mettle when relying on his own devices. Though Donald Crisp received director credit, Buster actually did most of the work. A fine introduction to Keaton's timeless art.

9/10