Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Larry Fine and my dad

Offline hiramhorwitz

Today, I'm nostalgic about the 115th anniversary of Larry Fine's birth, after having just celebrated my dad's 95th birthday this past Tuesday. 

Forty-four and a half years ago, in April 1973, when Larry Fine was 70 years old and living in the Motion Picture Home, my dad (who was then 50) arrived in Los Angeles on a business trip, and ventured to Woodland Hills to visit Mr. Fine.  Back then, very little information was available about the surviving Stooges, as it was a time following the active years of the Three Stooges - but a time before Stroke of Luck, Moe Howard and the Three Stooges, and the dozens of other literary publications tracking the famous trio's history.  And it was a time decades before the advent of easy internet access.

Just prior to my dad’s trip, I had learned that Fine was living at the Motion Picture Home and had written him a letter.  When Fine answered my letter, I was enthusiastic and surprised – so much so that I couldn’t help wondering if a visit to Fine was a possibility.  When my dad told me he’d be traveling to LA, I had to ask if there was any possibility he could try to see Larry.  My dad’s response was firm – he would attempt a visit as long as I sent Fine a letter informing him of my dad’s potential visit, and assuming that my dad’s business schedule allowed such a visit.

My next question to my dad was whether he’d be willing to ask Larry a series of questions and record Larry’s responses.  My dad would not commit to doing so, but told me to give him a list of questions and a compact tape recorder, in the event that things worked out to do so.

My questions were trivial – nothing deep – ones that were crafted by a fifteen year old fan with minimal insight and minimal knowledge.  But to this fifteen year old, the questions were important ones that needed to be answered.

As some of you know, my dad did see Larry during that trip and he did record Larry’s responses to the sophomoric questions I had prepared.  What a revelation this was!  This April 1973 visit led to an April 1974 visit where my dad and I both spent an afternoon with Fine, and enabled separate visits with Moe Howard, Joe Besser, and Joe DeRita.

In honor of this 115th anniversary of Larry Fine’s birth, and in honor of my dad’s 95th birthday this past week, I am attaching the following three items to this post:

1)   The April 1973 audio recording of my dad asking Larry Fine my list of questions;
2)   An April 1974 snapshot showing Larry Fine in the foreground and my father in the background; and
3)   A photo of my dad, taken this past Tuesday on his 95th birthday.

Long live the Stooges, and long live my dad!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
That was so awesome of your Dad to do that for you!  (Is he a Three Stooges fan too?)

Please tell him that Stooges fans all over are grateful that he was able to record that interview with Larry, and please pass along a belated Happy Birthday as well!  :)

Offline hiramhorwitz

That was so awesome of your Dad to do that for you!  (Is he a Three Stooges fan too?)

Please tell him that Stooges fans all over are grateful that he was able to record that interview with Larry, and please pass along a belated Happy Birthday as well!  :)

My dad appreciates your kind sentiments, Rob, and I agree with you 100% that what my dad did for me was awesome! 

My dad is a Three Stooges fan, having watched their shorts on the big screen as a teenager in the 1930s.  I wouldn't call him a fanatic though - but the two of us have gotten a lot of mileage out of the Stooges over the years, between the visits, correspondence, conventions, and presentations. 

Apart from the Larry Fine interview, my dad made good use of his position at RCA to get me tickets to attend one of Moe Howard's 1970s Philly Mike Douglas Show appearances.  This gave me the opportunity to meet and greet Moe, Moe's wife Helen, and Larry Fine's brother Morris face-to-face. 

The following year my dad accompanied me on a bus trip from Philly to LA, to visit Larry Fine, Joe Besser, and Joe DeRita.  Why a bus, you might ask?  Because my dad agreed to travel with me under the condition that I paid for my own ticket, and bus travel was the only form of transportation I could afford!     

Offline falsealarms

That's a great story -- it's always welcome to see a picture of Larry I haven't seen before, and the audio recording is a great bonus as well. Thanks for sharing!

Offline Tony Bensley

Thank you so much for sharing this marvelous interview, and I hope that your Dad had a wonderful 95th Birthday!

CHEERS! [3stooges]

Offline hiramhorwitz

Thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much for sharing this marvelous interview, and I hope that your Dad had a wonderful 95th Birthday!
Falsealarms and Tony - you're most certainly welcome.

Offline metaldams

Hiramhorowitz, sounds like your Dad turned 95 on 10/3, so he would be two days older than my grandmother, who passed away 10 years ago this December.  A high school classmate of Carl Reiner she was. I hope your Dad has many more happy birthdays, God bless him.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

Hiramhorowitz, sounds like your Dad turned 95 on 10/3, so he would be two days older than my grandmother, who passed away 10 years ago this December.  A high school classmate of Carl Reiner she was. I hope your Dad has many more happy birthdays, God bless him.
Metaldams - that's so neat that your grandmother and my dad entered this world within about 48 hours of each other.  Two days younger than my dad means that she was born on Larry Fine's twentieth birthday - so Larry was probably celebrating her birth, whether he knew it or not!  Did your grandmother say if Carl Reiner was an unusually funny high schooler?

Offline metaldams

Metaldams - that's so neat that your grandmother and my dad entered this world within about 48 hours of each other.  Two days younger than my dad means that she was born on Larry Fine's twentieth birthday - so Larry was probably celebrating her birth, whether he knew it or not!  Did your grandmother say if Carl Reiner was an unusually funny high schooler?

You're right, my grandmother would be exactly 20 younger than Larry, to the day!  Never put two and two together.

As far as memories of Carl Reiner, no idea.  She passed ten years ago and I only found out a few years ago from my Dad they were classmates.  My grandmother had Alzheimer's the last 15 years of her life, so stories were hard to come by from her once I was a teenager.  Seeing both her and Carl were from the Bronx and born in 1922, I can believe they went to high school together.

Your Dad is a good guy, going out of his way to do all that Larry stuff for you.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline hiramhorwitz

Your Dad is a good guy, going out of his way to do all that Larry stuff for you.

How right you are.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Hiram, thanks for sharing your heart-warming tale.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline hiramhorwitz

Hiram, thanks for sharing your heart-warming tale.

Paul, your sentiment is much appreciated.  Given the kind responses of you and the other members of this board, I am now in a 70s state of mind and feel the time is ripe to post a couple of other pictures that stemmed from my dad's willingness to visit Larry Fine in April 1973 and to obtain tickets to one of Moe Howard's appearances on the Philly Mike Douglas Show in August 1973. 

Specifically, these are photos of me and Moe, me and Larry, me and Joe Besser, and me and Joe DeRita.  Please forgive if I've posted these pictures before - at this point in time, I really can't remember which pictures I've posted and which pictures I've kept to myself. 

These pictures were taken:  1) outside the Harwan Theatre in Mt. Ephraim, NJ; 2) at the Motion Picture Home in Woodland Hills, CA; 3) outside Joe Besser's house in North Hollywood, CA; and 4) on Joe DeRita's front porch in North Hollywood, CA.  Prepare to step back in time 40+ years!

Offline Umbrella Sam

You, sir, are one lucky person to have met these 4 and to have a father who was willing to visit Larry for you. Happy belated birthday to your father.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline hiramhorwitz

You, sir, are one lucky person to have met these 4 and to have a father who was willing to visit Larry for you. Happy belated birthday to your father.

Sam, I agree with you 100% - I am extremely lucky on both counts.  I just spoke with my dad and gave him your birthday wishes.  His response was "Tell Sam I wish him a happy belated birthday, too."

Offline hiramhorwitz

In the words of the 1970s anti-drug campaign TV ad:

"Here's a little beauty from me to you-tee."

Now that six months have passed since the original post - and 44 years have passed since my visit with Larry - it's time to share a brief 8mm silent motion picture clip of my visit with Larry Fine with you.  If you look closely at the one minute and 6 seconds mark, you'll see Blossom Rock (Jeanette McDonald's sister, also known as Marie Blake, who appeared in the role of Grandmama in the 1960s TV sitcom The Addams Family, and also in the motion picture Snow White and the Three Stooges).  But most of the coverage captures Larry.  Enjoy!

Offline falsealarms

In the words of the 1970s anti-drug campaign TV ad:

"Here's a little beauty from me to you-tee."

Now that six months have passed since the original post - and 44 years have passed since my visit with Larry - it's time to share a brief 8mm silent motion picture clip of my visit with Larry Fine with you.  If you look closely at the one minute and 6 seconds mark, you'll see Blossom Rock (Jeanette McDonald's sister, also known as Marie Blake, who appeared in the role of Grandmama in the 1960s TV sitcom The Addams Family, and also in the motion picture Snow White and the Three Stooges).  But most of the coverage captures Larry.  Enjoy!

That footage is priceless. I'm glad you were able to preserve it all these years - it looks great. You were very fortunate to have met Larry. Thanks for sharing!

Offline hiramhorwitz

That footage is priceless. I'm glad you were able to preserve it all these years - it looks great. You were very fortunate to have met Larry. Thanks for sharing!

FA:  That's good to hear - glad you liked it!

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Thank you for this.  It's a shame more people don't preserve these things, even if it's just family albums that aren't to share.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline hiramhorwitz

Thank you for this.  It's a shame more people don't preserve these things, even if it's just family albums that aren't to share.

You're certainly welcome, Paul - it's my pleasure.

Offline Kopfy2013

It may have seemed at the time that you and your father were only indulging a youthful whim, but you two ended up as a little piece of movie history.  Congratulations to you both.  I'm being nice but I'm actually terribly jealous.

Offline hiramhorwitz

This is great... thank you !

It may have seemed at the time that you and your father were only indulging a youthful whim, but you two ended up as a little piece of movie history.  Congratulations to you both.  I'm being nice but I'm actually terribly jealous.

Kopfy and Chief, there's nothing better than reading your upbeat responses - I'm so glad to hear that this 44 year old footage still holds some semblance of relevance.

The words "youthful whim" are particularly insightful, as very few in 1974 could understand why I would travel across the country to see Larry.  There was no question in my mind, but the reactions of others made it clear they viewed my trip as a foolish whim.  Forty-four years later, I have no doubt that the trip was a fleeting opportunity that became a treasured highlight of life, one that gave my father and me a lot of mileage over the years.  How wonderful that individuals in this group can appreciate the experience for what it was - an exciting and historic adventure that I'm more and more grateful for each passing year. 

Offline LookingforLuisAlberni

Incredible encounter and interview HiramHorwitz. If only I was closer to you in age I could be much closer to the information I am now in these recent years most desperately seeking! I am creating a project close to heart, about the history of my great great grandmas love affair and marriage to Luis Alberni. Alberni was a favorite of many, and happened to be in a few films with the Stooges.

Offline hiramhorwitz

Incredible encounter and interview HiramHorwitz. If only I was closer to you in age I could be much closer to the information I am now in these recent years most desperately seeking! I am creating a project close to heart, about the history of my great great grandmas love affair and marriage to Luis Alberni. Alberni was a favorite of many, and happened to be in a few films with the Stooges.
Your positive response to my Stooge encounter is appreciated.  I am familiar with Alberni, both from his appearances with Ted Healy, the Stooges, and Shemp Howard, as well as many of his other performances captured on film.  Was your great great grandmother named Wanda, and is your name Anthony Carillo?  Good lucking on obtaining the information you seek!

Offline Marshall

hiramhorwitz,

Thanks so much for sharing your audio, photos, and film footage of you and your father's visit with Larry.  I really enjoyed them.  BTW, I still have my copy of Stroke of Luck bought in the mid 70's.

Thanks again,
Marshall