Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Paul Pain's Stooge Short Tournament - Elite 10

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Here we go!  Pick your favorite short from each pair (or triplet)!  The ones with most votes advance to the Final 4.  For your benefit, I have linked the discussion to each respective short from metaldams' reviews.   These are seeded in order by ThreeStooges.net ratings.    If we have enough fun with this, maybe we can push these brackets long enough to achieve an order of 1-190 by these methods?  [pie] [3stooges] ;) ::)

Edit: in case of a tie, both shorts advance, and there will be three shorts squaring off based on where the lower ranked short would have been.

=========================================Bracket 1===========================================================
1 THREE LITTLE BEERS vs. 11 HOW HIGH IS UP?
5 THREE ARABIAN NUTS vs. 7 NO CENSUS, NO FEELING

=========================================Bracket 2===========================================================
2 BRIDELESS GROOM vs. 18 AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE vs. 30 DISORDER IN THE COURT
4 IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE vs. 8 HOI POLLOI vs. 10 DIZZY DOCTORS
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
=========================================Bracket 1===========================================================
1 THREE LITTLE BEERS vs. 11 HOW HIGH IS UP?
5 THREE ARABIAN NUTS vs. 7 NO CENSUS, NO FEELING

=========================================Bracket 2===========================================================
2 BRIDELESS GROOM vs. 18 AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE vs. 30 DISORDER IN THE COURT
4 IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE vs. 8 HOI POLLOI vs.10 DIZZY DOCTORS
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Percy Pomeroy

• Beetlebrain
Bracket 1

1 THREE LITTLE BEERS
7 NO CENSUS, NO FEELING

Bracket 2

2 BRIDELESS GROOM
10 DIZZY DOCTORS

Offline Shemp_Diesel

• Chowderhead
Three Little Beers
No Census, No Feeling

Disorder in the Court
In the Sweet Pie and Pie
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Online Big Chief Apumtagribonitz

• Numbskull

I'll stick it out to the end, but I'm finding this more and more distasteful.  I never liked scoring these things, never have done it, and having to vote against some of my all-time faves is not a lot of fun.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
I'll stick it out to the end, but I'm finding this more and more distasteful.  I never liked scoring these things, never have done it, and having to vote against some of my all-time faves is not a lot of fun.

Have you, like me, reached the point of "I love all of these equally"?
#1 fire kibitzer

• Numbskull
I'm at that point, all right, but I reached that point a while back.

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Toastmaster General
  • Knothead
    • Talk About Cinema
Bracket 1
HOW HIGH IS UP?
THREE ARABIAN NUTS

Bracket 2
BRIDELESS GROOM
IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Umbday

• Grapehead
Carnage. In Bracket 2, I eliminated several films that I like better than both films in Bracket 1.

BRACKET 1
1 THREE LITTLE BEERS 
7 NO CENSUS, NO FEELING

BRACKET 2
18 AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE 
8 HOI POLLOI 

Offline Lefty

• Birdbrain
1 THREE LITTLE BEERS
5 THREE ARABIAN NUTS

30 DISORDER IN THE COURT
8 HOI POLLOI

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Three Little Beers
Three Arabian Nuts

An Ache in Every Stake
Hoi Polloi
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Squirrelbait

• Puddinhead
BRACKET 1
Three Little Beers
Three Arabian Nuts

BRACKET 2
Brideless Groom
Hoi Polloi
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Since this is a giant flaming disaster, I am canning this a day early.  Half of our original voters are gone; we're down to just me and one other person doing the Buster Keaton reviews.  My self-confidence has been entirely drained from me and flushed down the toilet.

It's sad to see a forum go from dozens of posters making dozens or hundreds of posts daily down to this.

Ironically, the top-3 from the last Stooge short tournament in 2010 are all in this one's Final 4!

1 THREE LITTLE BEERS 6 defeats 11 HOW HIGH IS UP? 3
5 THREE ARABIAN NUTS 5 defeats 7 NO CENSUS, NO FEELING 4

18 AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE 4 defeats 2 BRIDELESS GROOM 3 and 30 DISORDER IN THE COURT 2
8 HOI POLLOI 4 defeats 4 IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE 3 and 10 DIZZY DOCTORS 2
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Since this is a giant flaming disaster, I am canning this a day early.  Half of our original voters are gone; we're down to just me and one other person doing the Buster Keaton reviews.  My self-confidence has been entirely drained from me and flushed down the toilet.

It's sad to see a forum go from dozens of posters making dozens or hundreds of posts daily down to this.

Ironically, the top-3 from the last Stooge short tournament in 2010 are all in this one's Final 4!

1 THREE LITTLE BEERS 6 defeats 11 HOW HIGH IS UP? 3
5 THREE ARABIAN NUTS 5 defeats 7 NO CENSUS, NO FEELING 4

18 AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE 4 defeats 2 BRIDELESS GROOM 3 and 30 DISORDER IN THE COURT 2
8 HOI POLLOI 4 defeats 4 IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE 3 and 10 DIZZY DOCTORS 2

I'll be doing Buster Keaton reviews too, I was just away this weekend and had no time.  Either tonight or tomorrow, but I'll continue to pitch in as long as you do them.

But yeah, now you kind of understand why I stopped doing Laurel and Hardy reviews mid stream.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

• Chowderhead
Three Arabian Nuts beats No Census--is that an upset? Maybe not...   :P

Paul, I'll try to pitch in over the weekend--but as I said before--I'm not a silent film buff, so I'm not sure what I could trying to review silent comedy for the first time. But, I will find some time over the weekend to watch the Arbuckle/Keatons you've done so far...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead

Paul, I'll try to pitch in over the weekend--but as I said before--I'm not a silent film buff, so I'm not sure what I could trying to review silent comedy for the first time. But, I will find some time over the weekend to watch the Arbuckle/Keatons you've done so far...

Diesel, if anything, the view point of a silent film novice would be welcome, and fascinating.

Also bear in mind, concerning Keaton, in about five or six weeks, we'll be getting to Keaton's work on his own, which is where the classic stuff really begins, so be patient.  Keaton was also a huge influence on the Stooges, you'll see lots of familiar gags.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

• Chowderhead
Yes, I know of Keaton's reputation & have heard many stories about Seven Chances--I believe that's the name of the film that was said to be the inspiration for Brideless Groom, and Keaton's working relationship with Clyde Bruckman. So, I'm looking forward to viewing those silent comedies...

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
Yes, I know of Keaton's reputation & have heard many stories about Seven Chances--I believe that's the name of the film that was said to be the inspiration for Brideless Groom, and Keaton's working relationship with Clyde Bruckman. So, I'm looking forward to viewing those silent comedies...

Thanks Diesel, you'll enjoy it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

I hadn't watched a silent film until I watched Laurel & Hardy a year ago.  I'm a novice too!  We can learn together!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Well, 5 beat 7...  ::)  [kermit] [coffee]
#1 fire kibitzer

• Numbskull
1&8.

I think this site is now a victim of its own success.  We're having to stretch into contests and other comics because truly everything that's known about the Three Stooges is on here.  It really is an amazing accomplishment - I thought this site was stunning when I first found it, and it's only gotten better over the years. 

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
1&8.

I think this site is now a victim of its own success.  We're having to stretch into contests and other comics because truly everything that's known about the Three Stooges is on here.  It really is an amazing accomplishment - I thought this site was stunning when I first found it, and it's only gotten better over the years.

It's sad though how close-minded so many people are toward other comics.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

• Toastmaster General
  • Knothead
    • Talk About Cinema
I wonder, are there any Keaton fan groups on websites like Facebook or Twitter? If so, maybe we could convince some of them to join this website.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Lefty

• Birdbrain
1 THREE LITTLE BEERS
5 THREE ARABIAN NUTS

30 DISORDER IN THE COURT
8 HOI POLLOI

Offline metaldams

• Global Moderator
  • Egghead
1&8.

Thanks for the compliment, Big Chief, it's much appreciated.
- Doug Sarnecky