Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Sweet and Hot (1958)

metaldams · 42 · 15822

Offline metaldams

Given that this short was written by the same guy who wrote "Woman Haters," I wonder if it wasn't an old script from the "Musical Novelty" days.

This is gonna sound crazy, but when I was in high school and college, I turned a few friends on to Laurel & Hardy when we rented some of their movies. We all loved "Way Out West" and I'm not sure what triggered this, but maybe one of them asked me if I had anything similar.

And I thought, here's a Stooge short with some singing and dancing in it...

The response: "I like Laurel & Hardy better. And I like CURLY better." Though he conceded that Joe Besser "seems to have some talent."

I think Moe is great as the psychiatrist.

SWEET AND HOT next to WAY OUT WEST is just plain unfair.  I will literally be reviewing WAY OUT WEST in this weekend, so check it out.

I agree Moe is good as the psychiatrist and would have been great as a character actor in someone else's short.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Perhaps I'm going soft in my old age but my opinion of this short has changed slightly. Is it good? No. It does have an Ed Wood quality that makes it funny in an unintentional way.  If I had to watch a Besser short it'd probably be this one.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Perhaps I'm going soft in my old age but my opinion of this short has changed slightly. Is it good? No. It does have an Ed Wood quality that makes it funny in an unintentional way.  If I had to watch a Besser short it'd probably be this one.

Agree.  The animal musical montage has the feel of one of Ed Wood's random stock footage scenes.  I've softened on Besser too.  A few of these I actually like....but more than half are still shit.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

A definite Stooge low point — like most of the Bessers.  The sheer awfulness of "Sweet and Hot" makes me appreciate the idiosyncrasies of "Cuckoo on a Choo Choo."

1/10

Offline stooge_o_phile

...SIDE EFFECTS OF SWEET AND HOT MAY INCLUDE....diarehea, leprosy, impotence, demonic posession, indigestion, vomiting, sterilization, scholiosis, spontaneous combustion, loss of hair, blindness, suicidal tendencies, clinical depression, profuse sweating, difficulty in breathing, seizures, heart attacks, strokes, dry mouth, chicken pox, and finally, death."

I remember this review back in the day and it’s just as great now as it was then!

Only one positive thing I can say for this film is Larry’s violin playing. Other than that forget it.

Offline metaldams

I just saw Muriel Landers in BELA LUGOSI MEETS A BROOKLYN GORILLA playing opposite a 17 year old Jerry Lewis impersonator.  She may be queen of the turkeys.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline stooge_o_phile

Perhaps you should do a review on that Metal.

I gave up on trying to do full reviews here after your original one for “Sweet and Hot.” No way I could top that!

Offline metaldams

Perhaps you should do a review on that Metal.

I gave up on trying to do full reviews here after your original one for “Sweet and Hot.” No way I could top that!

I was actually thinking of reviewing it.  It’s public domain and viewable on YouTube, so people can watch it.  I’ll probably review that as well as a real Martin and Lewis film sometime soon.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

Coming in at #187 on my countdown we have the Muriel Landers show aka "Sweet And Hot."  Most of the short is actually quite tolerable, except for the dreaded flashback scene.  A couple of bright spots are Moe as "Dr. Hugo" and Larry's fiddle playing, along with Joe's dancing.  The main problem is that this is more like a Muriel Landers short with the boys as supporting players.

#187. Sweet And Hot

Offline Allen Champion

At the risk of being universally reviled, mocked, and sent for therapy to Dr. Hugo Gensamacher, I have to admit that this is my favorite Besser short, and one of my favorite Stooge shorts period.   I love Tiny Lander's performance, Moe's hilarious turn as the wacky psychiatrist, the charming performances of Larry and Joe, and I really dig Tiny's performance of "The Heat is On," which I think was mostly lifted from another short.  Anyway, Lander's performance of the song is genuinely sweet and hot.   Sorry, but I couldn't come back to the boards after a long absence and not confess.   I love this short!   This, FIFI BLOWS HER TOP, and FLYING SAUCER DAFFY are pretty much the only Besser shorts I will look at.    [pie]
"What do you know of the blood, sweat and toil of a theatrical production? Of the dedication of the men and the women in the noblest profession of them all?"

Offline Daddy Dewdrop

I get it.  I'd never begrudge someone for liking any Stooges short.  Besides, I don't think you'll get nearly the number of pies in the face that I get for liking "Horsing Around" LOL! [pie]

Offline metaldams

You’ll both take your pies in the face.  [pie]  Just make sure to slap back - this is a Stooge board after all.  [3stooges]

Nah, it’s cool.  We all have different ways of seeing these shorts.

I’m pretty sure Allen is correct about “The Heat is On” performance being stock footage.  Muriel Landers did make a Columbia short, TRICKY CHICKS (1957).  I believe it’s lifted from there.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
As the resident expert on non-Stooge Columbias, I am fairly confident in agreeing about the song being lifted from TRICKY CHICKS.  Basically, SWEET AND HOT was Jules White's last-ditch effort at making a new comedy series that could save the shorts department from closing.  But, as we know from history, he didn't succeed.  As far as I know TRICKY CHICKS, like SWEET AND HOT, was just basically a sequence of fat people jokes.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Mark The Shark

Early on while Muriel Landers is singing "Let's Fall In Love" and they show the various farm animals' reactions, the duck looks very familiar as if it's old footage from "I'm A Monkey's Uncle."

Somehow this short got skipped in the filmography in the back of "Moe Howard And The 3 Stooges."

I do actually like this short.

Offline Curly Q Link

This is far from my favorite Stooge short. I think the story itself is the problem. It wouldn't be much better with Curly or Shemp.

It's watchable, but I don't care for it much. Nothing against Muriel Landers, but I'm not sure this is the proper vehicle for her.

4/10

Offline Larrys#1

This one is just really bad. I appreciate Moe trying a different role here, but it just doesn't work. And the musical numbers here don't help either. Not a single laugh from me here. Sorry if this offends anyone, but this one had no business being a three stooges short.

1/10