Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shemp's 1952 Stroke

Shemp · 4 · 3302

Offline Shemp

I occasionally hear reference to Shemp's stroke in 1952, but have read very little about it, and I feel like I've read just about every Stooges book 10 times or more.  While visiting Joan Howard Maurer last year, I asked her about this and she said she had never heard anything about Shemp having a stroke.  She did tell me stories about tension between Shemp's wife and Moe's wife, but I'll save that for another thread.  Anyways, anyone have the best source for finding out more about Shemp's 1952 stroke?  I know he was also covertly taking nitroglycerin pills, but I believe this was for his heart. 

Offline Shemp

Just to add a little more, after watching "Goof on the Roof" last night (for the umpteenth time) with the kids and keeling over laughing, I checked out the Wikipedia entry for this short (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goof_on_the_Roof) and noticed this comment in the production notes:

"Shemp suffered a mild stroke less than two weeks after the filming for Goof on the Roof had completed. He recovered from it quickly enough that by the time of filming the next short in April 1953 (Musty Musketeers) began, he appears without any noticeable effects from it."

This short was filmed from Nov 17th - Nov 19th, 1952.  Musty Musketeers was not filmed until April 27th, 1953.  They had over a 5 month layoff after filming Goof on the Roof.  I know they had 12 weeks off every year to do personal appearances and what not, but we are talking about 17 or 18 weeks this time.  Is this longer than usual layoff related to the purported Shemp stroke, which according to Wikipedia would have happened around late November or early December 1952?  Curious to hear people's insights. 

Offline Signor Spumoni

I wish I could help you, Shemp, but I just don't know.  All I can tell you is that nitro tablets were commonly given for heart trouble, as you said.  If it were up to me, I'd take the word of Mrs. Maurer over wikipedia.

Offline Shemp

I had an offline discussion with Gary and he indicated there was only one source that referenced this, and that was the Forrester Bros book in which they quote Babe Howard.  Evidently, there has been no independent verification of Shemp having had a stroke or any medical records provided, so it may be a myth that has been perpetuated into fact in various books and websites.  I bet Shemp's granddaughters (Jill and Sandie) may have more info, but I don't have any in-roads with them.