Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Any Old Port (1932) - Laurel and Hardy

Offline metaldams

http://www.lordheath.com/index.php?p=1_173_Any-Old-Port
http://www.laurelandhardycentral.com/anyport.html

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26g4k5_any-old-port-b-w-1932-laurel-hardy_shortfilms

Watch ANY OLD PORT in the link above

On a personal level, this was at one point the only Laurel and Hardy film I never saw.  A bit disappointing it is so mediocre considering it is sandwiched between HELPMATES and THE MUSIC BOX.  Really, the problem with this film is Walter Long's character is so despicable, basically treating marriage as rape, that the majority of the first reel is a complete horror to watch.  Fortunately, the second reel's mood recovers just a tad, but as far as the first reel goes, the saving grace is Stan and Ollie milking a simple gag like signing a guest book for all it's worth.  After that, pure horror.

The second reel we get the boxing match, which is fun.  Watching Stan get the loaded glove, jump in the air, and chase Walter Long around is fun, though the ending of this short seems a bit sudden for a Laurel and Hardy film.  Mediocre effort all around, I'll be more enthusiastic next week.

6/10
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Wowza!  This sucked badly.  There is little to no justice dished out, and Walter Long's character may be the most hatable I've ever seen in a comedy after Captain James T. Kirk.  The first 12 minutes felt more like a drama that was being lightened up with comedy than a comedy.  The guestbook was pretty good, but beyond that the only other good bid was Stan's two baby reactions: when he realizes he's fighting at the restaurant, and when he realizes who he's fighting in the ring.

I will like never be watching this one again.

4/10
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Umbrella Sam

Yes, a lot of this is hard to watch because of Walter Long’s character, though even without that this does feel like one of the weaker shorts. The addition of Long’s character makes it almost unwatchable. The scene with Laurel attempting to sign the guestbook is amusing, but it is the kind of thing we’ve seen before and beyond that a lot of the first reel is basically about getting the girl away from Long. The chase between Laurel, Hardy, and Long is something that should be funny, but too much is at stake in order for it to work; a woman’s life is literally on the line and that’s not something that should be laughed at.

The main portion of the second reel is the boxing fight, which is once again something we’ve seen before in THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY. Long’s character goes from being a hotel manager to being a boxer so suddenly and this weak plot device is the only connection between the two reels. I guess one thing I kind of like is when Stan attempts to knock out Ollie for betting against him; once again, another moment of bravery for Stan that is interesting to see. Unfortunately, the rest of this film is just Laurel and Hardy going through the motions with routines that have been done much better elsewhere. I don’t think I can say it’s quite as bad as BERTH MARKS, and at least the girl does get away, but this short is definitely among their worst. Another short to stay away from.

3 out of 10
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline Tony Bensley

I'm a bit surprised at the low ratings for this short, but the reasoning is sound.  It isn't among my favorites, at any rate.

ANY OLD PORT (1932) was originally a three reel short, but the first reel, presumably with Stan & Ollie at sea, was cut after the preview.  I sometimes wonder how it would have played with a different opening preceding the thematically horrific first reel that we have today?  One brief bit of footage from the cut first reel, featuring an ostrich is in the unreleased 1 reeler titled THAT'S THAT, which is occasionally presented at Sons Of The Desert events.  With Stan's daughter Lois having passed on, I do wonder whether this short might finally see home video release (Although anything "new" with Laurel & Hardy getting released seems rather dicey, these days.  Take the complete Reel 2 of THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY, for instance!), as she considered this home movie material, and didn't wish to have it released during her lifetime.

Metal's 6 out of 10 seems about right to me, as the 2nd reel does somewhat redeem the preceding scary goings on that occur in the 1st.  Perhaps ANY OLD PORT might play better as a one reel comedy, instead?

CHEERS!  [pie]

Offline metaldams

If you guys were around when I initially did these Laurel and Hardy reviews, I would have probably kept going.  I stopped at THE MUSIC BOX, and when we finish Keaton, I will restart Laurel and Hardy.  Thanks Umbrella and Tony, as well as Paul, for your thoughts.  I enjoy reading them.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

If you guys were around when I initially did these Laurel and Hardy reviews, I would have probably kept going.  I stopped at THE MUSIC BOX, and when we finish Keaton, I will restart Laurel and Hardy.  Thanks Umbrella and Tony, as well as Paul, for your thoughts.  I enjoy reading them.

Likewise, I also enjoy being able to read other opinions on here. It’s been a very interesting journey so far, seeing how much Laurel and Hardy and Buster Keaton have changed throughout the years.

I'm a bit surprised at the low ratings for this short, but the reasoning is sound.  It isn't among my favorites, at any rate.

ANY OLD PORT (1932) was originally a three reel short, but the first reel, presumably with Stan & Ollie at sea, was cut after the preview.  I sometimes wonder how it would have played with a different opening preceding the thematically horrific first reel that we have today?  One brief bit of footage from the cut first reel, featuring an ostrich is in the unreleased 1 reeler titled THAT'S THAT, which is occasionally presented at Sons Of The Desert events.  With Stan's daughter Lois having passed on, I do wonder whether this short might finally see home video release (Although anything "new" with Laurel & Hardy getting released seems rather dicey, these days.  Take the complete Reel 2 of THE BATTLE OF THE CENTURY, for instance!), as she considered this home movie material, and didn't wish to have it released during her lifetime.

Metal's 6 out of 10 seems about right to me, as the 2nd reel does somewhat redeem the preceding scary goings on that occur in the 1st.  Perhaps ANY OLD PORT might play better as a one reel comedy, instead?

CHEERS!  [pie]

I remember at one point while watching, I was wondering if this was supposed to be longer, though I thought that the material would be between the first and second reel of the existing print. Looking into it, it seems the first reel featured James Finlayson as their captain, so I am curious to see what would have happened, though I imagine this would have made the plot even more messy than it ended up being anyway, since it relates even less to the remaining two reels than they do with each other.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

The first half seems to be more serious, with an abusive man that Stan and Ollie try to protect his woman from. It kind of reminds me of the beginning of the short where The Three Stooges try to get money for a poor child in that it sets up a more comedic second reel. The second reel in this one I think is supposed to be a remake of the first reel from The Battle of the Century. It is kind of a coincidence that he happens to be fighting Walter Long, but a lot of times comedy is based around contrived coincidences. The boxing battle is fun, I will never get sick of seeing people beat each other up (unless it's real).

Offline Dr. Mabuse

Walter Long provides the ideal comic menace in this underrated Laurel and Hardy two-reeler. Somewhat schizophrenic, "Any Old Port!" begins as a grim melodramatic parody of D.W. Griffith's "Broken Blossoms" and ends with a hilarious boxing match between Battling Laurel and Mugsie Long. Regardless of the disjointed storyline, Stan, Ollie and director James W. Horne keep the laughs coming. Second-tier L&H is definitely better than none.

7/10

Offline Samurai

As this doesn't seem to be a favorite to most, myself included, I'll stick with the moment that made me loff out loud (and some trivia).

In order to save Miss Wells, Stan beans Mugsy/Walter in the noggin with a pool ball...with zero effect. Ollie follows suit (after checking to ensure the ball is solid, and with surprisingly good form), by pitching a perfect strike into Mugsy's skull. Again, it fails to make an impression... figuratively and literally. Ollie's reaction of shock quickly followed by fear truly made me loff, even if he oversold it.

The trivia portion involves Jacqueline Wells, and her daughter Pamela (Schoop). Any fan of Magnum PI will recognize Pamela from the debut two part episode. If not, you may recognize her from the hot tub scene in Halloween II (SCHWING!!).

Offline metaldams

As this doesn't seem to be a favorite to most, myself included, I'll stick with the moment that made me loff out loud (and some trivia).

In order to save Miss Wells, Stan beans Mugsy/Walter in the noggin with a pool ball...with zero effect. Ollie follows suit (after checking to ensure the ball is solid, and with surprisingly good form), by pitching a perfect strike into Mugsy's skull. Again, it fails to make an impression... figuratively and literally. Ollie's reaction of shock quickly followed by fear truly made me loff, even if he oversold it.

The trivia portion involves Jacqueline Wells, and her daughter Pamela (Schoop). Any fan of Magnum PI will recognize Pamela from the debut two part episode. If not, you may recognize her from the hot tub scene in Halloween II (SCHWING!!).

Never in a million years would I have guessed the hot tub girl/nurse in Halloween II (the only sequel worth seeing, IMO), was Jacqueline Wells daughter.  Thanks for that, that is great trivia.
- Doug Sarnecky