Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

July 1956 Moe, Larry, Joe candid, silent, color 16mm candid home movie

Offline stoogestats

This summer I mailed off a 16mm home movie reel to be transferred to a digital format for viewing.
Today that reel came back and I viewed the footage.
It contains 2 minutes of Moe, Larry and Joe outside Columbia Picture Studios and eating together at a diner. Some co stars or crew are also visible.
The footage is silent but in color.
The reel included a paper note description dating it July 1956.
The footage is incredible.
Here is a sneak peek.

Offline stoogestats

There are costs associated with obtaining and transferring this footage.
I don't want to just upload it on the internet and devalue the experience of seeing it.
A screening in a public venue is possible.

Offline stoogestats

The RRParks card company has made a special card that includes a color image from this candid film footage on the front and a description of its discovery on the back. I have a stack of cards available free to those interested. I have been sending them out by mail.
If anyone is interested just contact me.

RRParks is the company recently written about in the Three Stooges Journal. They have been producing the CHRONICLES OF THE THREE STOOGES series of collector cards.

Offline Myren

So has there been any movement of this being screened anywhere? And thanks for the update on this.

Offline stoogestats

At the 2016 Three Stooges convention many people viewed the footage over 3 days. Not in a public screening but in the bar, lobby, my hotel room, dealer room etc. off my laptop.
If there is a convention again or gathering of fan club members I will bring it.

Offline stoogestats

I decided to donate the film to the UCLA Film & Television archive. I would like to offer the film for screening at the 2021 Cinecon Classic Film festival and the Three Stooges film festival in November at the Alex Theatre in Glendale California. That is if they are interested and if the events go on as scheduled. Both in person events were cancelled this year. Cinecon did offer a digital on line experience.

Offline metaldams

Might be the kind of thing that shows up as an extra if The Stooges ever make it to Blu Ray.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Offline RICO987

Who shot the footage?  Was it a relative, friend of family - that is, do you know the circumstances surrounding the footage being shot?

Offline falsealarms

Who shot the footage?  Was it a relative, friend of family - that is, do you know the circumstances surrounding the footage being shot?

There's a story in here about it: https://threestooges.net/journal/view/162

Offline Mark The Shark

From what I recall, the same kid shot this film as well as the final home movie of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy together. Most likely around the same time on the same trip to California. His name was Andy Wade.

Offline stoogestats

From what I recall, the same kid shot this film as well as the final home movie of Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy together. Most likely around the same time on the same trip to California. His name was Andy Wade.

Absolutely. With the help of the late great Frank Reighter together we gained plenty of information about Andy Wade and it was published in the article posted above in The Three Stooges Journal. More information about Andy then had been publicly known before. We even reached out to his daughter-in-law.