Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

R.I.P. Noel Neill

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Noel Neill, the original Lois Lane, has passed away on Sunday at age 95. While she never worked with our boys at Columbia (or at all, excepting a role in HIGH SCHOOL HERO, a 1946 Monogram film featuring Joe DeRita), she did originate the role of the Clark Kent's plucky co-worker in the 1948 serial and the 1950 follow-up Atom Man vs. Superman, and reprised the role beginning in the second season of The Adventures of Superman TV series after Phyllis Coates' departure. A role she was heavily identified with, and defined, she largely retired after the series' end, but continued to pop up in future films and became a regular at fan conventions.

As a bonus, here she is in the Sterling Holloway Columbia short MAN OR MOUSE (1948).

R.I.P. Miss Neill.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Signor Spumoni

Thanks for the link, GC. 

I watched a portion of this short and shall watch it again in its entirety when I know I won't be interrupted.  While not very good, it's interesting, and NN was beautiful.  Some of the laughs, in the portion I saw, came from things such as the changes between Noel Neill and the stuntman.  The stuntman's bottom was half again as wide as NN's, and his wig was a different color to her hair, not to mention the difference between male legs and female legs.  Sterling Holloway's role` might have been written for Shemp, in my opinion.  I could just hear him delivering the lines, and imagine his style.  Anyway, I'll watch it all soon.

Offline GreenCanaries

• President of the Johnny Kascier Fan Club
  • Birdbrain
Thanks for the link, GC. 

I watched a portion of this short and shall watch it again in its entirety when I know I won't be interrupted.  While not very good, it's interesting, and NN was beautiful.  Some of the laughs, in the portion I saw, came from things such as the changes between Noel Neill and the stuntman.  The stuntman's bottom was half again as wide as NN's, and his wig was a different color to her hair, not to mention the difference between male legs and female legs.  Sterling Holloway's role` might have been written for Shemp, in my opinion.  I could just hear him delivering the lines, and imagine his style.  Anyway, I'll watch it all soon.

No problem, Signor; agreed on Noel's beauty and Shemp being in Sterling's role.

And yes, obvious stuntman in drag = always good for a laugh.
"With oranges, it's much harder..."

Offline Signor Spumoni

Here's a movie for you, GreenC:  "Invasion USA."  It's notable for two of its costars, Noel Neill and Phyllis Coates, both of the Lois Lanes.  There's an MST3k version, too, if that's more your style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg8a9UMqSzY